300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting out of state with tinted windows

Howdy from Texas. With 300 days of sunshine, and summer temps well in the triple digits, I have my cars tinted max legal in Texas (25% transmission in the front).

My question is, what are the officers opinions on out of state vehicles with tint that is legal in their home state when that vehicle is just visiting? I travel to New York State about once a year. Is it helpful to have a copy of Texas' tint requirements on hand, and a copy of my latest inspection report (Texas tests tint transmission during inspection, too dark and you fail so no sticker) when traveling out of state?

Thank you!

You will be expected to follow the laws of the state in which you are driving.

Iowa really doesn't' care what Texas allows................Iowa laws are enforced in Iowa
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I wouldnt write for it unless you were being a david henry. That does not mean I would not stop for it though. As you can see by the attached statute (Florida), there is no mention of state of registration.

316.2953 Side windows; restrictions on sunscreening material.—A person shall not operate any motor vehicle on any public highway, road, or street on which vehicle the side wings and side windows on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator’s seat are composed of, covered by, or treated with any sunscreening material or other product or covering which has the effect of making the window nontransparent or which would alter the window’s color, increase its reflectivity, or reduce its light transmittance, except as expressly permitted by this section. A sunscreening material is authorized for such windows if, when applied to and tested on the glass of such windows on the specific motor vehicle, the material has a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 25 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 28 percent in the visible light range. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

Comment

Well, I answered my own question regarding New York State which exempts non-resident vehicles that are within the law of their home state/country.

N.Y. VAT. LAW § 250 : NY Code - Section 250: Exemption of non-resident owners and operators - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/V....bZEikNQK.dpuf

Comment

Originally posted by thr_wedge View Post
          Well, I answered my own question regarding New York State which exempts non-resident vehicles that are within the law of their home state/country.

N.Y. VAT. LAW § 250 : NY Code - Section 250: Exemption of non-resident owners and operators - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/V....bZEikNQK.dpuf
          Remember-------

You will be driving through several states between Texas and New York that might not have that exception.

Once again-------my state does not have an exception for EQUIPMENT----
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

double post/forum glitch.
            Last edited by kermit315; 12-03-2013, 10:15 AM.

Comment

leal her as allowed in the staet where your car is registered.
              For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Honestly, I would not be surprised if I was stopped, even if it was unlikely to happen. Our family truckster is a Expedition EL on (factory) 20" chrome wheels, 30% in front (works out to be ~27% VLT) and factory 10-12% all around the back. It's pretty dark, and the vehicle looks nice.

I'd find it interesting to get a ticket for an equipment issue on an out of state vehicle visiting or passing through, and try to fight it through the mail using the legality of my vehicle in my home state as a defense. I am sure NY has their laws written the way they do because they are a border state with Canada which I am sure has some slightly different vehicle laws.

My other presumption is that if I was doing nothing else wrong, it really isn't worth the officer's time to pull me over for a vehicle equipment infraction on a nice well maintained vehicle following the traffic laws (speeding, signaling, etc.)

Unfortunately it looks like I will have to avoid Iowa.

Comment

Also, thank you everyone for your feedback.

kermit315, I don't get the David Henry comment?
                  Last edited by thr_wedge; 12-03-2013, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I have a buddy that went to new york on a long weekend with a car plated out of texas (we were in virginia for a school). Anyway, they pulled him over and ticketed him for his windows, which were legal in texas. He ended up paying the fine, because his court date to fight it would have been after he was stationed in california, so you might get pulled over and a ticket.

Just saying.

Comment

david henry= d h= dick head

Comment

Originally posted by thr_wedge View Post
                        Also, thank you everyone for your feedback.

kermit315, I don't get the David Henry comment?
                        David Henry.

DH.

Richard Cranium.

Get it yet? lol

Comment

Hopefully I won't get any tickets. They are still cheaper than redoing my windows which are a necessity here.

LOL at the David Henry. I haven't heard that before. I am respectful to officers, and know that being a roadside lawyer really isn't going to help my cause.

Comment

A citation in a state you're transiting is always possible. Alabama makes no exception( as of my active duty days) for other state's standards. That said, I rarely if ever wrote a tint violation to an out of state vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                              A citation in a state you're transiting is always possible. Alabama makes no exception( as of my active duty days) for other state's standards. That said, I rarely if ever wrote a tint violation to an out of state vehicle.
                              Now there is an exception. Section 32-5C-3 lists exceptions, which states an exception would be any vehicle not registered in this state. Not sure when that was codified though - I just looked it up out of curiosity.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3933 users online. 278 members and 3655 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X