300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange traffic question

So, I have been noticing if this is possible by law or not. Is it possible or a law where someone is driving BELOW the speed limit. I know that on highways it says, "maximum", and "minimum," but I wish there was a way to regulate this more.

I know me, as well as others, are stuck behind that one person that is going 10 MPH slower than the posted speed limit and as you look in your side view mirror there is, what looks like, a mile block up. I think that this is dangerous because it builds up more aggressive drivers that are prone to illegally pass or something.

Do police actually pull over people for going to slow? (no offense intended by the question)

Yes and for the very same reasons you state. The state where I worked it was called Impeding traffic. It is in the uniform act of operating motor vehicles.

Roughly, Minimum speed regulation. (a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
    I'm sure most states have similar legislation. Look in your states' drivers manual.
    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Short answer... Yes. Appropriate charge is "Impeding traffic" it is a citeable violation.

Comment

ok then, you hear of people all the time of people getting tickets for speeding but you only joke with your mom, or other older people that you know, for driving to slow. I don't think I have met anyone who was pulled over, warned, or actually ticketed it for it. God knows we have been stuck behind people like that on highways or the roads you WISHED would get that ticket!

Comment

Originally posted by OneAdam12 View Post
          Yes and for the very same reasons you state. The state where I worked it was called Impeding traffic. It is in the uniform act of operating motor vehicles.
          I'm sure most states have similar legislation. Look in your states' drivers manual.
          Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
          Short answer... Yes. Appropriate charge is "Impeding traffic" it is a citeable violation.
          What ^^ they^^ said.

Comment

yup, impeding traffic.... during the day, probably a senior citizen, during the night... good chance its a drunk driver!
            sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Originally posted by wutzcrack3n View Post
              yup, impeding traffic.... during the day, probably a senior citizen, during the night... good chance its a drunk driver!
              I've never written that ticket but stopped cars for it many times on multi-lane highways. Wutz nailed it, got a couple of drunks this way.

Comment

Some states have black & white (regulatory) signs that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" {such as here in Virginia} and others have a better "Keep right, pass left - it's the law" {which you see in Pennsylvania quite often}. The best one is found in Texas, though. Theirs says, "Left lane for passing only."

Do they enforce these laws? In some places they do. In Virginia? Hell no......but I wish they would. Left-lane bandits are a HUGE problem here, and it has gotten worse since our maximum speed limit was raised to 70 mph three years ago.

Driving too slowly can, at times, be much more dangerous (and inconsiderate) than driving too fast - but the problem is exacerbated when the "slowpoke" is in the wrong lane. A safe rule to remember is that if you are being passed on your right while on a multi-lane highway, then you are probably driving in the wrong lane.
                Last edited by VA Dutch; 08-31-2013, 08:50 AM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Lamar Odom's recent arrest for DUI started with a traffic stop for impeding. He was going something like 30 mph on the freeway.
                  Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

In France : 35 € (~46$) if you don't keep your right and it's enforced. Moreover, on big rural roads, there is a minimum speed limit.
                    Originally posted by Socrate
                    When fathers are getting used to let the children,
                    When the sons no longer consider their words,
                    When the teacherss tremble before their pupils and prefer flatter them,
                    When finally the young despise the laws because they do not recognize, above them, the authority of nothing and nobody, then it is, in beauty, and in all youth, the beginning of the tyranny.

Comment

Impeding Traffic here in MD.
                      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                      that we are all that stands between
                      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Impeding traffic in TN too. Those states that also have signs as VA Dutch mentioned could also write the driver for obedience to traffic control device. For example, there's a "No Trucks" sign leading into the airport where I work. If a semi driver comes in there and I have to stop freaking traffic to get his dumb a** to back up and go a certain route, I can cite him for obedience to traffic control device (i.e. the sign saying "no trucks!").
                        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

I've seen several vehicles get pulled over in the western states for impeding traffic, ignoring the fact that a dozen or more vehicles were backed up on a two-lane highway. The best one was coming out of Missoula on route 200, a beautiful curvy road that runs along the Blackfoot River... there was a huge RV puttering along at about 35 mph with about 20 cars behind it. The officer pulled all the cars to get up to it, and when I passed them he had the driver out and the officer was screaming and stomping his feet. The RV had passed several places where he could've pulled off.

As most people know, Montana has a different attitude about traffic enforcement––they don't care how fast you go as long as you're keeping appropriate spacing and otherwise driving safely. I live in Virginia, which is probably at the opposite end of the spectrum. In Virginia they don't much care what you do as long as you're not speeding, and they give very little latitude on that.

Comment

Originally posted by salparadise View Post

As most people know, Montana has a different attitude about traffic enforcement––they don't care how fast you go as long as you're keeping appropriate spacing and otherwise driving safely. I live in Virginia, which is probably at the opposite end of the spectrum. In Virginia they don't much care what you do as long as you're not speeding, and they give very little latitude on that.

I agree with that! VA is one of the worst states for left-lane hogs. There are signs all over the highways that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right -- but it is NEVER enforced here. Besides, nobody considers themselves a 'slow' driver. If you have anyone in your family you KNOW who is one, they'll just tell you that everyone else goes too fast.

I wish we could get the signs changed to read something more blunt - such as "Keep Right Except To Pass" or something along that line. Many of the western states do that and even Pennsylvania says, "Drive Right, Pass Left. It's the law!" (which is much better than our signs here).
                            Last edited by VA Dutch; 09-24-2013, 06:30 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Washington State prohibits impeding traffic. On roads where passing is unsafe, RCW 46.61.427 says "a slow moving vehicle, behind which five or more vehicles are formed in a line, shall turn off the roadway wherever sufficient area for a safe turn-out exists, in order to permit the vehicles following to proceed."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5078 users online. 307 members and 4771 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X