300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Stop here on red light" vs. right on red

Something I've been wondering about for a while: there are a couple of intersections around me where there's no sign prohibiting a right on red, but where there's a "stop here on red light" sign a good distance from the actual intersection.

A picture is hopefully attached; the minivan has stopped at the line, but the intersection is up past the gas station driveway; you can sort of see where the cross road and a fence alongside it is, past the gas pumps on the right, and can just see the crosswalk on the left side road if you look up past the tail lights.

If the light is red, assuming you first come to a complete stop at the line, like the minivan has, is it ...

legal to make the right on red if you first ALSO come to a complete stop where the intersection is?

legal to make the right on red WITHOUT stopping again at the intersection?

illegal to make the right on red?

This is in NJ, if it makes a difference; I haven't gotten a ticket or anything (I go straight here anyway), just have always wondered.
    Attached Files

We have them in our area because of irrigation canals. So, if there was a sign to stop here on a red and further posted "no right turn on red", then that would of course be illegal.

Comment

In most states, Alabama included, a right turn on red is permissible unless otherwise posted. The "Stop Here on Red" is what is sometimes referred to as a limit line, and vehicles not intending to turn right are required to stop there.

Comment

Along with what's been posted it also looks like there's an entrance/exit to the gas station....I can't tell if that extends to the intersection from the picture but if so then the reason there's a sign posted "stop here on red" is so that the entrance/exit isn't blocked by a bunch of vehicles waiting to make a right on red.

Comment

Originally posted by HotSoup View Post
          Along with what's been posted it also looks like there's an entrance/exit to the gas station....I can't tell if that extends to the intersection from the picture but if so then the reason there's a sign posted "stop here on red" is so that the entrance/exit isn't blocked by a bunch of vehicles waiting to make a right on red.
          Right, that seems to be the reason, the weirdly located gas station entrance. I've just always wondered if it's OK to go past the stop line if you're going to be turning right on red, since there's no sign prohibiting it. So far, sounds like it is.

Comment

I hate driving in NJ. You people have those stupid "jug handles" or whatever you call them...
            I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by HotSoup View Post
              Surprised they would put a sign there for the gas station. IMO it's unfortunate the gas station is located in that location, but to put a sign somewhere to actually benefit traffic turning out of a private drive is wrong if you ask me. Then again I am that guy that will not let you in. I'm entititled to my spot on the road and if you have a problem with that, then too bad, you shouldn't have put yourself ina position where you'd have to turn across traffic that has the right of way.

Comment

I'm not familiar with other traffic laws but here in Arizona it's illegal to block an entrance/exit or street access.

Comment

I have seen intersections where there are places to make a right-hand turn on red (after STOP, of course), but where it is also impossible to do so from behind the white "stop" line because of parked cars, foliage, etc., etc.

You have to practically pull the front of your car partially into the intersection to see if anyone is coming. Discretion would be important for an officer in such a situation.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I have driven through New Jersey numerous times and have no idea what the heck a 'jug handle' is. Can someone please enlighten me?

My definition of a jug handle would involve a 1.75L bottle of fine Kentucky Bourbon.....but not in the same thread as anything to do with driving. LOL!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

The wikipedia article seems confusing to me, so I'll try to explain it -- NJ has a lot of divided highways that are 2 lanes in each direction, with businesses on either side, and traffic lights and intersections. If you want to turn left at an intersection, or if you want to access a business on the opposite side of the highway, you can't; instead, there's a jughandle, which is a ramp on the right side, either before or after the intersection; it either leads to a side street, from where you can make the turn, or it itself loops back to the main road.

Here's a good example, for traffic eastbound on Mt. Pleasant Ave /Rt. 10, which wants to go north on Algonquin Parkway:

jug.jpg

(oh, that's smaller than I expected, but I think it still will make sense.)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10933 users online. 536 members and 10397 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X