300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by not-a-deputy-yet View Post
    I forgot to mention one thing. After he handed me the ticket he said "hey don't you like these new printer thingies we have? Now we don't actually hand write the ticket, they just print after you sign on the screen" I thought that was a little arrogant.
    And the lesson you learned from that is not to be arrogant when dealing with violators.

Look, if you are seeking the group's approval to go out and cite this guy just because he gave you a ticket, you have come to the wrong place and again, you may be in the wrong profession.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      As an officer you have discretion regarding whether or not to cite. I probably gave 20 warnings for every cite I wrote.

You can cite him or not. However, if your sole reason for denying the trooper the benefit of discretion is to retaliate against him for having done his job, then perhaps you are in the wrong profession. I would suggest that you have a chat with your supervisor about this and get his feedback. It might help you get a more relevant perspective on the matter.
      If I did ever pull him over I would hesitate citing him because he is a LEO. Thought of retaliation would not cross my mind. I did speak to my Sgt. about this situation. He knew exactly which trooper did this and said he wasn't surprised. However when I asked my Sgt if he would have been cited if he got pulled over by the same trooper, Sgt said probably not. He also brought up a valid point, at the time I got pulled over I was not employed by the PD yet.

Comment

As an officer you have discretion regarding whether or not to cite. I probably gave 20 warnings for every cite I wrote.

You can cite him or not. However, if your sole reason for denying the trooper the benefit of discretion is to retaliate against him for having done his job, then perhaps you are in the wrong profession. I would suggest that you have a chat with your supervisor about this and get his feedback. It might help you get a more relevant perspective on the matter.
        If I did ever pull him over I would hesitate citing him because he is a LEO. Thought of retaliation would not cross my mind. I did speak to my Sgt. about this situation. He knew exactly which trooper did this and said he wasn't surprised. However when I asked my Sgt if he would have been cited if he got pulled over by the same trooper, Sgt said probably not. He also brought up a valid point, at the time I got pulled over I was not employed by the PD yet.

Comment

And the lesson you learned from that is not to be arrogant when dealing with violators.

Look, if you are seeking the group's approval to go out and cite this guy just because he gave you a ticket, you have come to the wrong place and again, you may be in the wrong profession.
          L1,
          Just to clear this up , I'm not looking for anyone's approval on whether I should cite anyone. I am mearly looking for opinions without arrogance that's all. As far as lesson learned about not being arrogant I agree with that. Naturally I'm not an arrogant person anyways and will make sure I don't turn into one in this profession. I've been wanting to do this for a long time and finally made it. It took about 7 years but I made it by not giving up. In the short time I've been here I have already used my discretion on violators, specifically in the same place where I got cited for speeding.

Comment

L1,
            Just to clear this up , I'm not looking for anyone's approval on whether I should cite anyone. I am mearly looking for opinions without arrogance that's all. As far as lesson learned about not being arrogant I agree with that. Naturally I'm not an arrogant person anyways and will make sure I don't turn into one in this profession. I've been wanting to do this for a long time and finally made it. It took about 7 years but I made it by not giving up. In the short time I've been here I have already used my discretion on violators, specifically in the same place where I got cited for speeding.

Comment

This and this

[
              B]Thought of retaliation would not cross my mind. I did speak to my Sg[/B]t. about this situation. He knew exactly which trooper did this and said he wasn't surprised. However when I asked my Sgt if he would have been cited if he got pulled over by the same trooper, Sgt said probably not. He also brought up a valid point, at the time I got pulled over I was not employed by the PD yet.
              It was a F%$#@$^ thicket and you're still holding a grudge? How long have you been on the job?
              If you're holding a grudge on this then what are you going to do the first time someone spits on you? The first time you get your *** handed to you and your beat partners save your butt?

No disrespect but when you went to your Sgt with this he/she may have made a note in your file. I would have. You need to thicken that skin up. You may get mad at me now but I will redirect you back to my original advice- Thicken that skin- You were wrong he cut you a break deal with it.
              MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                This and this

[

It was a F%$#@$^ thicket and you're still holding a grudge? How long have you been on the job?
                If you're holding a grudge on this then what are you going to do the first time someone spits on you? The first time you get your *** handed to you and your beat partners save your butt?

No disrespect but when you went to your Sgt with this he/she may have made a note in your file. I would have. You need to thicken that skin up. You may get mad at me now but I will redirect you back to my original advice- Thicken that skin- You were wrong he cut you a break deal with it.
                jcioccke,

Dealing with someone spitting at me, get my a** handed to me or any of that is fine with me. I worked at a state prison for a year and a half. Believe me I've had my fair share there but loved my job because of the adrenaline when something did happen. The only reason I left the prison is because I wanted to be out on the street and be more proactive. As far as thick skin I think the prison helped me quiet a bit.
                Holding a grudge personally against this trooper, I think I'm done with that. Lesson I learned from him though is not to be arrogant towards anyone especially towards another LEO. Also I learned that I would not be issuing a ticket to another LEO for speeding.

Comment

This and this

[

I'm not mad at you telling me to thinken up my skin. Being at this job one can never have skin that's too thick. As far as the comment about me getting a note in my file, well there is a reason why there wasn't one put. My Sgt knows this trooper and this isn't the first time something like this has happend to a local Police Officer.
                  A few years back there was a "Sheriff" not a deputy that got pulled over and cited for speeding.
                  The fact that he cut me a break and cut my fine was helpfull when it came down to paying it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                    Dude... when I was 19, I got an Underage (arrested) from a cop who works a couple towns away from where I landed. We see each other on some hot calls every now and again and it is ****ing hilarious.

I know as a fact that there is a PD locally that has an officer that was arrested when he was a teenager by the agency he now works for. He was even on the same squad as the guy that locked him up for awhile. Comedy ensued.

To the point: Other than the already listed reasons, If I'm humming along a little fast while off-duty and see a crusier... I will slow down so as to not disrespect the guy by blowing his doors off.
                    I get your point. People have done more stupid crap than speeding, got arrested and all is good now. Anytime I see a cruiser while off duty even here in town I do slow down as well even though it is an officer from my deppartment. Not slowing down shows disrespect and might make the officer look bad if he/she doesn't pull you over if noticed by someone else, especially in a small town.

Comment

This is me on my last trip out of town

I always drive 100 on busy highways and freeways and go 130 past the cops. Pigs ain't gonna catch me!

Comment

No, I don't slow down under the speed limit. I've already got my cruise set to the speed limit. Unless I'm in my old truck, in which case I'm going under the speed limit.
                        I miss you, Dave.
                        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I forgot to mention one thing. After he handed me the ticket he said "hey don't you like these new printer thingies we have? Now we don't actually hand write the ticket, they just print after you sign on the screen" I thought that was a little arrogant.
                          It still doesn't negate the fact that

#1 you were speeding
                          #2 He was doing his job
                          #3 you were not a cop

Believe me I've had my fair share there but loved my job because of the adrenaline when something did happen.
                          You think that is a valid reason for enjoying your job..............................(before you answer, remember I spent 30 yrs working at a state penitentiary)

Holding a grudge personally against this trooper, I think I'm done with that.
                          The phrase "I think" also bothers me..........................If you are still even tangently thinking of retaliation, I have grave worries about your life span at this job.

The fact of the matter is each of us has different ways of working and different methods of handling situations. You will find yourself working with partners, supervisors and maybe later subordinates who you quickly find you don't like the way they work.

There is nothing that makes someone else s methods "wrong" unless they are illegal.

A few years back there was a "Sheriff" not a deputy that got pulled over and cited for speeding.
                          It happens------we had a Trooper pull over the SHERIFF of a county near me a couple months ago, for OWI..............................guess what?

The SHERIFF was in the wrong.......

the FORMER Sheriff of my county was pulled over for OWI last month here in my county...............................He too was in the wrong
                          Last edited by Iowa #1603; 07-23-2012, 06:49 PM.
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Dont let them fool you the Chargers are limited at 75 mph. Go wild they will never catch you!
                            The sooner you understand that all your base are belongs to me the better off you will be.

Comment

I go 5 over the speed limit and no more everywhere except school zones and construction zones. If a cop is going the exact speed limit on the freeway or some place then I'll pass him. If he wants to pull me over then he can. I've yet to have a cop pull me over for that.

Comment

If off duty, I drive more or less within the flow of traffic.

On duty, I will not slow down around any other marked units except if they are on a traffic stop.....then its slow down to make sure everything is good, and then back on my way
                                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2845 users online. 158 members and 2687 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X