Ad JS

Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bicycle on sidewalk?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bicycle on sidewalk?

    Any Traffic LEOs from Texas know if it is legal to initiate a traffic stop for a person riding a bicycle on a sidewalk? I tried looking in the transportation code and I did not find anything about it being legal or illegal just that you have to ride as close to the curb as you can safely.

  • #2
    Not from Texas, but in my opinion they belong on a sidewalk over the road any day of the week. I would never harass a bicyclist for riding on the sidewalk. Bicycle vs Pedestrian is better than Bicycle vs Car every time.

    Comment


    • #3
      There could be a local ordinance for cycling on a sidewalk. Most cities in Minnesota have them.
      "We Train to Fight, We Fight to Win, We Win to Survive, We Survive to LIVE!"

      The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

      Comment


      • #4
        Technically in Texas a bicycle is considered a motor vehicle. Thus it technically should be ridden on the road.

        However i think this is stupid and dangerous for a bike to ride on a 45MPH street. I prefer bikes to be on the sidewalk.

        Comment


        • #5
          Alabama does not have a specific law prohibiting bicycles from being ridden on the sidewalk, at state level. However, many municipalities have local ordinances governing the subject.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by zhakkar View Post
            Not from Texas, but in my opinion they belong on a sidewalk over the road any day of the week. I would never harass a bicyclist for riding on the sidewalk. Bicycle vs Pedestrian is better than Bicycle vs Car every time.
            In Virginia bicycles are considered the same as vehicles and are required to follow traffic laws; must ride in the road, stop at signs and lights, can't ride on sidewalk, etc.

            In my 3.5 years on the streets, I've made upwards of 10-12 arrests for drug possession and other open warrants just from stopping subjects on the street riding their bike illegally.
            Last edited by Street_Cop50; 06-29-2012, 02:57 PM.
            Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

            Comment


            • #7
              Riding on a sidewalk is prohibitied by local ordinance in NYC and is strictly enforced in Kings County and Bronx County. This is done not only because of the population density and the danger it could pose to people walking on the sidewalk but also because of robbery and larceny patterns that emerge with the culprit being someone who was biking when they committed the offense. Bikes are also subject to all rules of the road in NYS. And like the previous poster said, I have had many simple stops for bike on the sidewalk turn into something much much bigger (ie Forged Instrument, Grand Larceny, Controlled Substance arrests)

              Comment


              • #8
                ^^In most suburban cities there are no bike lanes, no provisions at all for those of us who choose to ride bicycles. Even worse, there are almost no sidewalks either in most suburban areas, and the streets are built more like highways.

                Honestly I would rather ride on the sidewalk than be killed on a street by some suburban soccer mom moron talking on a cell phone.
                Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tmg View Post
                  Technically in Texas a bicycle is considered a motor vehicle. Thus it technically should be ridden on the road.

                  However i think this is stupid and dangerous for a bike to ride on a 45MPH street. I prefer bikes to be on the sidewalk.
                  Actually, according to the Transportation Code, a bicycle is not considered a motor vehicle. (Motor Vehicle definition T.C. 541.201) It is, however, subject to all the laws of a motor vehicle if it is being operated on a public roadway. From my understanding, there's nothing in the TC prohibiting a bicycle from riding on the sidewalk.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by wingchun85 View Post
                    Actually, according to the Transportation Code, a bicycle is not considered a motor vehicle. (Motor Vehicle definition T.C. 541.201) It is, however, subject to all the laws of a motor vehicle if it is being operated on a public roadway. From my understanding, there's nothing in the TC prohibiting a bicycle from riding on the sidewalk.
                    Here is what I am thinking with the TC when it comes to bicycles on sidewalks.

                    Definitions: Sidewalk-541.302: means the portion of a street that is (b) intended for pedestrian use.
                    Pedestrian-541.001: means a person on foot.
                    Bicycle 541.201: device that a person may ride and propelled by human power w/2 wheels......
                    Vehicle 541:201: device that can be used to transport or draw a person or property on a highway., does not include devices on tracks or manufactured housing.

                    551.101 Rights and Duties: A person operating a bicycle has the rights and duties applicable to a driver operating a vehicle under this subtitle, unless: 1 a provision of this captor alters a right or duty or 2 a right of duty applicable to a driver operating a vehicle cannot by its nature apply to a person operating a bicycle.

                    551.103 Operation on a Roadway: A person operating a bicycle on a roadway who is moving slower than the other traffic on the roadway shall ride as near as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway unless:...........

                    Another reason I believe the intention of the law makers was to not allow bicycles on sidewalks is for the fact that there is no section that strictly allows it as there is with a personal assistive mobility device.

                    551.203 Sidewalks: A person may operate an electric personal assistive mobility device on a sidewalk.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by nyc7011 View Post
                      Riding on a sidewalk is prohibitied by local ordinance in NYC and is strictly enforced in Kings County and Bronx County. This is done not only because of the population density and the danger it could pose to people walking on the sidewalk but also because of robbery and larceny patterns that emerge with the culprit being someone who was biking when they committed the offense. Bikes are also subject to all rules of the road in NYS. And like the previous poster said, I have had many simple stops for bike on the sidewalk turn into something much much bigger (ie Forged Instrument, Grand Larceny, Controlled Substance arrests)
                      Crackheads love bikes. I stop them for no headlight also.
                      I make my living on Irish welfare.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by wingchun85 View Post
                        Actually, according to the Transportation Code, a bicycle is not considered a motor vehicle. (Motor Vehicle definition T.C. 541.201) It is, however, subject to all the laws of a motor vehicle if it is being operated on a public roadway. From my understanding, there's nothing in the TC prohibiting a bicycle from riding on the sidewalk.
                        Word.

                        Originally posted by Crimy View Post
                        Here is what I am thinking with the TC when it comes to bicycles on sidewalks.

                        Definitions: Sidewalk-541.302: means the portion of a street that is (b) intended for pedestrian use.
                        Pedestrian-541.001: means a person on foot.
                        Bicycle 541.201: device that a person may ride and propelled by human power w/2 wheels......
                        Vehicle 541:201: device that can be used to transport or draw a person or property on a highway., does not include devices on tracks or manufactured housing.

                        551.101 Rights and Duties: A person operating a bicycle has the rights and duties applicable to a driver operating a vehicle under this subtitle, unless: 1 a provision of this captor alters a right or duty or 2 a right of duty applicable to a driver operating a vehicle cannot by its nature apply to a person operating a bicycle.

                        551.103 Operation on a Roadway: A person operating a bicycle on a roadway who is moving slower than the other traffic on the roadway shall ride as near as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway unless:...........

                        Another reason I believe the intention of the law makers was to not allow bicycles on sidewalks is for the fact that there is no section that strictly allows it as there is with a personal assistive mobility device.

                        551.203 Sidewalks: A person may operate an electric personal assistive mobility device on a sidewalk.
                        I think it would need to be more explicitly written that bicycles were prohibited from sidewalk use for it to be enforceable. Generally speaking, if it's not forbidden by statute, it's legal. There's a reason that it's usually left up to the local governments to write an ordinance about where bicycles can operate.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TK5 View Post
                          Word.



                          I think it would need to be more explicitly written that bicycles were prohibited from sidewalk use for it to be enforceable. Generally speaking, if it's not forbidden by statute, it's legal. There's a reason that it's usually left up to the local governments to write an ordinance about where bicycles can operate.
                          Im pretty sure this does just that since you can't drive a car on a sidewalk.

                          551.101 Rights and Duties: A person operating a bicycle has the rights and duties applicable to a driver operating a vehicle under this subtitle, unless: 1 a provision of this captor alters a right or duty or 2 a right of duty applicable to a driver operating a vehicle cannot by its nature apply to a person operating a bicycle.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Crimy View Post
                            Im pretty sure this does just that since you can't drive a car on a sidewalk.

                            551.101 Rights and Duties: A person operating a bicycle has the rights and duties applicable to a driver operating a vehicle under this subtitle, unless: 1 a provision of this captor alters a right or duty or 2 a right of duty applicable to a driver operating a vehicle cannot by its nature apply to a person operating a bicycle.
                            Read just above the text you quoted...

                            TX TC 551.001:
                            Sec. 551.001. PERSONS AFFECTED. Except as provided by Subchapter C, this chapter applies only to a person operating a bicycle on:
                            (1) a highway; or
                            (2) a path set aside for the exclusive operation of bicycles.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                              Crackheads love bikes. I stop them for no headlight also.
                              Hahaha. I always stop them biking the wrong way on a one way too. They never see it coming. I had one take off on me not too long ago, probably would have made off if he had hadn't run into a fenced in supermarket parking lot. Oopsie.

                              Comment

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 11919 users online. 501 members and 11418 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X