300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lanes Merging....

....2 lanes are merging into 1, for whatever reason. Are we supposed to signal that we are merging into one lane?

The way I've always looked at it, the purpose of using turn signals is to show intent of action to the drivers around you so they know what to expect from you at all times. So when you are in 2 merging lanes and traffic is not heavy and there is plenty of distance between cars, isn't it obvious what's going to happen? Do we still have to signal in that situation?

Just curious about this after reading about someone who was cited for "failure to signal" in a merging 2-lane in a small town. Thanks in advance.

Depends on the laws of your state..... Here you are required to signal when you will be impeading the flow of traffic.

Comment

I'll give you credit - logical question for once. I like that you did not preface it with how you can do something without getting a ticket for it. As FormerTeacher stated, it depends on the laws. Here, the signal is required by statute. Does everyone use it? No. Does it cause a problem when there is no traffic? No. Do I stop people for it every time that I see it? No. Have I stopped and ticketed people for it? Yes, but usually only in traffic, or if there is an aggregate of small violations adding up.

Comment

Thanks for the answers, gentlemen.

Comment

You don't have to signal out here, you just have to race to get there first.
          Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

As the California Vehicle Code points out, ONLY IF OTHERS "...MAY BE AFFECTED..."

Turning Movements and Required Signals

22107. No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other vehicle may be affected by the movement.

Amended Ch. 1996, Stats. 1959. Effective September 18, 1959.
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

It can't hurt and if there were an accident it might help.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3186 users online. 194 members and 2992 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X