300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citing Military Personnel

This topic may have been touched on already but I know that the majority of police officers don't cite other police officers for minor traffic violations but I was wondering what the consensus is with regard to military personnel. When you officers use your discretion, do you tend to normally extend a "break" to people of the armed forces? I know that regardless of who the violator is whether it be another officer, military, civilian, the president, etc, you still use your discretion I was just wondering whether or not extra consideration was taken for those in our armed forces...

I'm just asking because I plan to become a police officer in the next couple of years and I like to pick the brains of guys and girls who are already there just so I can sort of get an inside peek as to how you all operate discretion wise.

Thanks guys/girls

As a former member of the Armed Forces, I would never write another member a citation unless ordered to or under unusual circumstances that require it. Typically, I've found that police officers in departments that lie in close vicinity to military installations do not share this view. I know because I received citations from such officers while I was in the Army.

Comment

Yeah I'm with you NYC, if I was a police officer I don't think that I would cite a member of the military unless there was a serious violation where your hand is then forced. But as it is, it is up to the officer. I would lump military and law enforcement in the same category with regard to never giving citations for minor offenses.

Comment

Originally posted by nyc7011 View Post
        Typically, I've found that police officers in departments that lie in close vicinity to military installations do not share this view.
        Very true. I have 2 tickets on my record, one in Lousiana and one in Waco, TX - about an hour North of Fort Hood. I got ticketed for 75 in a 65 and he asked if I was in the Army. I wasn't gonna play the "Oh, please, Officer! I'm in the military" card anyway, though.

EDIT: Just realized this was Ask A Cop, my mistake. Couldn't find a delete option.

Comment

As a former member of the Armed Forces, I would never write another member a citation unless ordered to or under unusual circumstances that require it. Typically, I've found that police officers in departments that lie in close vicinity to military installations do not share this view. I know because I received citations from such officers while I was in the Army.
          +1

Im also a former soldier, I work in a large military community, I hammer em just like everyone else. Once you look at the military and its slacking standards from this side of the fence, you too will cut them NO slack. I encounter the most idiotic, disrespectful, stupid d-bags that wear the uniform every shift. it makes me want to puke remembering i too once wore that uniform. The public thinks these clowns are a bunch of heroes, thats crap. i always looked at it as a job, not as like i was some friggin rock star everybody had to bow down to. somewhere along the line all these kids graduating basic post 9/11 think they are owed the world. all they owe me is a signature, press hard sir, three copies...
          Originally posted by crass cop
          Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by LaPlaca View Post
            +1

Im also a former soldier, I work in a large military community, I hammer em just like everyone else. Once you look at the military and its slacking standards from this side of the fence, you too will cut them NO slack. I encounter the most idiotic, disrespectful, stupid d-bags that wear the uniform every shift. it makes me want to puke remembering i too once wore that uniform. The public thinks these clowns are a bunch of heroes, thats crap. i always looked at it as a job, not as like i was some friggin rock star everybody had to bow down to. somewhere along the line all these kids graduating basic post 9/11 think they are owed the world. all they owe me is a signature, press hard sir, three copies...
            I agree with this. But I'm active reserve (ARNG). I gotta say that the Soldiers on my post are very respectful, and I have yet to run into anyone who is anything other. I've seen poor examples of Soldiers while working patrol in my civvy cop job.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by Smurfette
            Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
            Originally posted by DAL
            You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Most LEOs offer some PC; however, it is not a given! Military personnel should not expect an officer to give them a free ride and overlook any violations of law. Courtesies and privilege are reserved for those who present themselves as regretful and apologetic and not acting as though they have some expectation of special handling just because they are serving. Again, it is officer discretion; not priviledge.
              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I'm a military retiree and still feel the GIs need to hold a higher standard. I typically won't write a GI, but don't feel bad about it when I do becuase I only write one when I see something REALLY unsafe... Detectives here get away without writing tickets for months or years (in my case) at a time.
                I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Being in the military is not a free pass. I certainly didn't expect one. Their service is one of many factors that will be taken into consideration.

Comment

+1

Very true. Many immature people in the service that think they're invincible and exempt. I received probably 3 citations from local LE during my stint in the Army. I was given courtesy probably 10 times or so. I was 18 years old at the time and I had that crap rebel attitude that I just described. Ultimately, the best policy I discovered was to change my mindset and start respecting the rules of the road. That's when the tickets stopped. I, personally wouldn't write the cite, but I don't have any problem with the local LE who decide to do it. Some of those kids need it.

Comment

+1

Im also a former soldier, I work in a large military community, I hammer em just like everyone else. Once you look at the military and its slacking standards from this side of the fence, you too will cut them NO slack.
                      +1000 I don't hammer the military to just hammer the military. But I also don't think it is a free pass either. I've seen the shenanigans behind the scenes and the gang graffiti at Fort Riley. I also get super annoyed when I ask for their driver's license and they hand me a military ID card.
                      Last edited by Dingo990; 05-04-2011, 05:45 PM.

Comment

I see. All of you bring good points to the table. It is true that military standards have dropped dramatically and I can see why you wouldn't cut them any slack. As sgtCHP said it's about respecting the officer and not looking for special treatment and then maybe the officer will decide that he is going to give a break regardless of who the violator is. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Comment

As with everything there is good and bad in every batch. And it's unreasonable to expect an officer on a traffic stop to be able to determine what batch this particular person is in.

I do not in general write tickets. I typically write warnings to a good 75% of who I stop.

Your career choice (yeah there isnt a draft) means very little to me. It's based on record, offense, and partially your attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                            I do not in general write tickets. I typically write warnings to a good 75% of who I stop.
                            I wish you had pulled me over. I totally deserved the ticket under the law, but it was my first ever and I was doing 75 in a 65. I was completely respectful, said very little and only what was necessary to respond to him, gave my LICENSE & didn't tell him I was driving from Fort Hood and in the Army(until he asked based on my haircut). I even thanked the man when I signed the ticket!

Comment

You and me both.........got a ticket one morning trying to get back to base for morning PT formation from a cop that was an ***** who was sitting right outside of the gate. Don't know if he didn't like military or was just having a bad morning.

As for me, military usually gets a pass unless it's something more than standard traffic infraction, such as DUI, DV, etc. where I don't have much discretion.
                              I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it

"But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet
                              it" - Thucydides

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3117 users online. 156 members and 2961 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X