Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    Citizen1984 sure managed to implode rather quickly

Leave a comment:

• txleo-3
    replied
    Originally posted by Citizen1984
    As far as traveling to another country, there is diplomatic immunity for this very reason.
    Diplomatic Immunity? How do you figure you have diplomatic immunity?

Just because I am visiting another country does not grant me diplomatic immunity...Think you should have paid more attention in your limited law class in college

Leave a comment:

• SRT936
    replied
    OK, another "practical" example. I was a resident of Wisconsin. Up until recently, Wisconsin did not have a "proof of insurance" requirement. When I traveled to Minnesota, I was not required to provide proof because Wisconsin didn't require it.
    Yes you were. Wisconsin residents were (are) tagged for no proof insurance in Minnesota all the time.

Leave a comment:

• Buffaloboy
    replied
    When does sovereignty of state apply to the traffic and equipment laws when traveling across country? One law I can think of off the top of my head is... if I was an Arizona resident, they have much more lax laws on window tint. If I drive to Michigan, how can a law enforcement official enforce a local law on me if I'm a citizen of another state with different laws? This very situation was discussed in my limited law class in college and the professor and text both agreed that the law was not enforceable on an out of state citizen.

What about motorcycle helmet laws in particular?
    Oh give me a break here... Murder is illegal in both states and is a different type of law all together. HOWEVER *if* murder WERE legal in your home state, there would be a very good argument for it.
    Thank you for the thoughtful response. I would guess that a Capital crime that was committed that fell into the jurisdiction of two states could possibly be tried by the state first and in another state tried in a Federal court and not be considered Double Jeopardy?
    OK, another "practical" example. I was a resident of Wisconsin. Up until recently, Wisconsin did not have a "proof of insurance" requirement. When I traveled to Minnesota, I was not required to provide proof because Wisconsin didn't require it.

Vehicle Licensing requirements are also different between the states. I can transfer plates to any vehicle. In Minnesota, plates are not transferable and it is a VERY serious offense if you do that. Felony Tax Evasion.
    Thank you for the example. It clears a lot of that up. Still not sold on the window tint applicability though. I would think that both states have a similar law and if I was a resident of another state and I still met the equipment requirements of my home state, no law has been broken.

As far as traveling to another country, there is diplomatic immunity for this very reason.
    Why are you answering in the ask a cop section? Read the rules...Goodbye

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    Although the settling Supreme Court decision was a capital case they did not base their decision on the matter of the level of the crime but the fact that both states were seperate sovereign entitites.

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    In fact did you know you can be tried in two different states for the exact same offense and it's not double jeopardy.

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    No actually it's the same thing. Each state in the union retains it's own sovereignty. When you visit another state you are subject to it's laws just as if visiting another country. Now there are some interstate compacts that effect the states relations to each other, however a state's laws apply to everyone in the state not just citizens of the state.

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    Wow so I can go to Texas and kill somebody, but I won't be charged because I'm not a resident of Texas. Get real

Leave a comment:

• SRT936
    replied
    Originally posted by OneAdam12 View Post
    SRT,
    I'm sure you remember "blue dots".

Even though they are illegal in most states, they still sell them.
    We had a really nice day out last weekend and all the classic cars were out cruising. I saw a 57 Chevy that had blue dots mounted on the back. I spent more time drooling over the car than anything else though.....

Leave a comment:

• OneAdam12
    replied
    SRT,
    I'm sure you remember "blue dots".

Even though they are illegal in most states, they still sell them.

Leave a comment:

• nyc7011
    replied
    I'm an officer in NYS. Here you're in violation of NYS VTL 402(1). "Improper/Dirty/Obstructed display of license plates"

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by mp1161 View Post
    In MD......

quite simple.
    Same in Iowa

Leave a comment:

• ItzRegardie
    replied
    Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
    A personal favorite is the blue lights that you can put on your windshield wipers or tire stems. Super illegal to run down the road with yet I see it all the time.
    We in the car community also refer to such things as "rice."

haha.

Leave a comment:

• mp1161
    replied
    In MD......

LEGAL

ILLEGAL

ILLEGAL

quite simple.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4711 users online. 326 members and 4385 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X