300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by solarfuse View Post
    The fact that most are similar is irrelevant. The proof is this thread - I was ticketed for one thing which was NOT similar between states.
    Actually, they're the same, just worded slightly different between states.

Originally posted by N.Y. VAT. LAW S 402
    1. (a) No
    person shall operate, drive or park a motor vehicle on the public
    highways of this state unless such vehicle shall have a distinctive
    number assigned to it by the commissioner and a set of number plates
    issued by the commissioner with a number and other identification matter
    if any, corresponding to that of the certificate of registration
    conspicuously displayed, one on the front and one on the rear of such
    vehicle, each securely fastened so as to prevent the same from swinging
    and placed, whenever reasonably possible, not higher than forty-eight
    inches and not lower than twelve inches from the ground; provided,
    however, that in any registration year for which only one number plate
    is issued, such number plate shall constitute a set of number plates for
    the time in which such use is authorized, shall be displayed on the rear
    of the vehicle and none shall be displayed on its front, except in case
    of a tractor, when such number plate shall be displayed on the front of
    the vehicle and none shall be displayed on its rear.

(b) Number plates shall be kept clean and in a condition so as to be
    easily readable and shall not be covered by glass or any plastic
    material, and shall not be knowingly covered or coated with any
    artificial or synthetic material or substance that conceals or obscures
    such number plates or that distorts a recorded or photographic image of
    such number plates, and the view of such number plates shall not be
    obstructed by any part of the vehicle or by anything carried thereon,

except for a receiver-transmitter issued by a publicly owned tolling
    facility in connection with electronic toll collection when such
    receiver-transmitter is affixed to the exterior of a vehicle in
    accordance with mounting instructions provided by the tolling facility.
    So your rant about having to follow different laws is what is completely irrelevant. What you did was a violation in your home state of New York as well as New Jersey (and Wisconsin for that matter.)
    \

Comment

Originally posted by solarfuse View Post
      Sorry I was being a little bit of a smart ***, but my statement remains absolutely true. If I wanted to drive across the united states, I would have to study and memorize the motor vehicle laws for every state I drive through. The fact that most are similar is irrelevant. The proof is this thread - I was ticketed for one thing which was NOT similar between states. How can I be aware of what is not similar unless I read the motor vehicle code for each state? As Michigan said, ignorance of the law is not an excuse.
      Your little temper tantrum above is plain isn't true.

People drive cross country every day without having to know the minor differences between the 50 state traffic standards. Seeings how most of them are nearly the same ---with some minor exceptions makes it pretty simple .

If you follow the laws of the state in which you received your driver's license you will under most circumstances have no problem in the other 49 states.

However if you wish to memorize all 50 motor vehicle statutes------------knock yourself out.

After you do that you wont' have to come on this forum and waste our time arguing with us after we have given you the answer you asked for.

Have a nice day.

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
      So your rant about having to follow different laws is what is completely irrelevant. What you did was a violation in your home state of New York as well as New Jersey (and Wisconsin for that matter.)
      Iowa also
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
        Your little temper tantrum above is plain isn't true.

People drive cross country every day without having to know the minor differences between the 50 state traffic standards. Seeings how most of them are nearly the same ---with some minor exceptions makes it pretty simple .

If you follow the laws of the state in which you received your driver's license you will under most circumstances have no problem in the other 49 states.

However if you wish to memorize all 50 motor vehicle statutes------------knock yourself out.

After you do that you wont' have to come on this forum and waste our time arguing with us after we have given you the answer you asked for.

Have a nice day.

Iowa also
        Additionally, I have extended family members who regularly travel in Europe. A large portion of that travel is by automobile. They tell me simple common sense is the best friend a motorist has. O T H, people with know it all attitudes, those who evidence a disregard or disrespect for the law,or to quote Barry Obummer, "act stupidly" often attract the attention of the police.Hopefully, you're not one of those people. If you're not, you should have a very pleasant journey.

Comment

also MD.

Tag covers and brackets lead to some good stops.

Comment

Maybe you should just move from the US if you dislike having to different state codes for every state you travel in.

Comment

I love stopping people from out of state for window tint!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                It is from the dealer not the manufacturer. I will bet it is an advertizement for the dealership.

You can buy many items and have them installed by a dealership that are not legal... aftermarket headlights are another item that are often offered or installed by dealers. Most of them are illegal in most states.
                To go along with this, you can buy tinted license plate frames that cover the entire plate from AutoZone and they are highly illegal as far as I am aware. Am I right?* Just because it came from the dealer, or was offered for sale to you doesn't mean you should assume it is legal to put on the vehicle.

*My Ask A Cop Question

Comment

Originally posted by ItzRegardie View Post
                  To go along with this, you can buy tinted license plate frames that cover the entire plate from AutoZone and they are highly illegal as far as I am aware. Am I right?* Just because it came from the dealer, or was offered for sale to you doesn't mean you should assume it is legal to put on the vehicle.

*My Ask A Cop Question
                  If you look closely, most of those items will say (in fine print) that they are for off-road use only. Yes, tinted license plate covers are illegal for on-road use.

You'll find all kinds of things at auto parts stores that are illegal to actually put on your car while its running down the road. A personal favorite is the blue lights that you can put on your windshield wipers or tire stems. Super illegal to run down the road with yet I see it all the time. The story is always the same, "I bought it at a store so how can it be illegal?"
                  \

Comment

In MD......

LEGAL

ILLEGAL

ILLEGAL

quite simple.

Comment

A personal favorite is the blue lights that you can put on your windshield wipers or tire stems. Super illegal to run down the road with yet I see it all the time.
                      We in the car community also refer to such things as "rice."

haha.

Comment

Originally posted by mp1161 View Post
                        In MD......

quite simple.
                        Same in Iowa
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I'm an officer in NYS. Here you're in violation of NYS VTL 402(1). "Improper/Dirty/Obstructed display of license plates"

Comment

SRT,
                            I'm sure you remember "blue dots".

Even though they are illegal in most states, they still sell them.
                            Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by OneAdam12 View Post
                              SRT,
                              I'm sure you remember "blue dots".

Even though they are illegal in most states, they still sell them.
                              We had a really nice day out last weekend and all the classic cars were out cruising. I saw a 57 Chevy that had blue dots mounted on the back. I spent more time drooling over the car than anything else though.....
                              \

Comment

Wow so I can go to Texas and kill somebody, but I won't be charged because I'm not a resident of Texas. Get real
                                Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                                Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4579 users online. 257 members and 4322 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X