300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Witness Statement Provided but still being Harrassed

I was a witness to a one-car accident on a local highway and was told that I had to go to the local police station so they could get my statement. I went to the station and I filled out and signed what was titled "Voluntary Witness Statement". I was questioned for about 15-20 minutes and the investigating officer thanked me for coming in and then I left. The sergeant stepped in then told me that they would need me only if the driver who was cited fights the ticket and it goes to court.

Apparently my story does not fit with one other witness and I was asked to come in again (which was a 45 minute drive one-way). I did and while there, got myself a copy of my original witness statement for my records. The accident is now going on a month old. Just 2 days ago the investigationg officer called me again and left a message saying they needed to talk to me AGAIN.

At this point, I would be unwilling to help anymore than I have. This was all voluntary on my part and in reality, really didn't have to do anything in the first place, but, I did the right and morally correct thing. What can I do if the officer continues to call and harrass me? His sergeat already told me I would only be needed if the cited driver fights the ticket and I would be notified by subpoena via postal mail. Plus, it has been a month since this the accident took place.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Okay, this whole thing has an aroma of BS to it but I'll start by playing nice.

As investigations go along different questions may arise from time to time. The investigator is just trying to cover all the questions. It's not harrassment, he is just trying to get questions answered so he can complete his job. If you are still unhappy call and ask to speak with his supervisor.

If nobody was killed or injured and you didn't lie in your initial statement I REALLY can't see an investigator putting this much time and effort into a solo vehicle crash report.
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Unless you have been served with a summons or there is a warrant for your arrest, you don't HAVE to do anything. It's good of you to have done what you have so far but if you believe you are being unduly inconvenienced, politely decline another trip to the station and simply wait for whatever court date (if applicable) is set and you're summoned to testify at it.

I don't see where two phone calls constitute being "harassed". Unless your statement is grossly contrary to whatever other statements and/or evidence the investigator(s) has or the accident involved serious injury or death, I also don't see any officer making a career out of a single car crash.

I suspect you may be leaving something out of this scenario. But that's just me.
      sigpic
      Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
      And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
        Okay, this whole thing has an aroma of BS to it but I'll start by playing nice.

As investigations go along different questions may arise from time to time. The investigator is just trying to cover all the questions. It's not harrassment, he is just trying to get questions answered so he can complete his job. If you are still unhappy call and ask to speak with his supervisor.

If nobody was killed or injured and you didn't lie in your initial statement I REALLY can't see an investigator putting this much time and effort into a solo vehicle crash report.
        I'm sorry you feel that my situation is BS but it is not. Why on earth would I come on here to get info. from professionals within law enforcement and make up a story? This is currently happening to me and like I said, if he continues to try to get a hold of me, I will ignore his call.

As far as to why the investigating officer is putting so much into a one-car accident is beyond me. At this point, I cannot see the sergeant putting a fire under this officer's *** because he is the one that told me I was not needed unless the person who was cited fights the ticket.

Like I said, I did the morally correct thing as a witness and "voluntarily" gave information. I guess I will now "voluntarily" eliminate myself from this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by KapsFB View Post
          Unless you have been served with a summons or there is a warrant for your arrest, you don't HAVE to do anything. It's good of you to have done what you have so far but if you believe you are being unduly inconvenienced, politely decline another trip to the station and simply wait for whatever court date (if applicable) is set and you're summoned to testify at it.

I don't see where two phone calls constitute being "harassed". Unless your statement is grossly contrary to whatever other statements and/or evidence the investigator(s) has or the accident involved serious injury or death, I also don't see any officer making a career out of a single car crash.

I suspect you may be leaving something out of this scenario. But that's just me.
          I'm sorry but I did not leave anything out of this scenario unless you want a total description of the accident. I also have no idea what the other witness's statement says nor do I care. Making a career out of a single car crash, as you said, is possible if your a small town police dept. with not much action going on.

Comment

Originally posted by STORMCHASER View Post
            Your thoughts are appreciated.
            You asked for them. You now have them.

Anything else?
            sigpic
            Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
            And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Instead of ignoring the calls politely tell the investigating officer you no longer wish to provide statements in the investigation, you are a witness not a suspect, you can decline to participate at any time.
              Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
              I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
              Originally posted by weinerdog2000
              as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

Why is it lately that everyone thinks they are being "harassed"? I cant tell you how many calls I have had lately where that keeps being claimed. Stormchaser.......how is an officer calling you for information a couple of times mean they are harassing you?

Comment

[QUOTE=STORMCHASER;2726823]I'm sorry you feel that my situation is BS but it is not. Why on earth would I come on here to get info. from professionals within law enforcement and make up a story? This is currently happening to me and like I said, if he continues to try to get a hold of me, I will ignore his call.

As far as to why the investigating officer is putting so much into a one-car accident is beyond me. At this point, I cannot see the sergeant putting a fire under this officer's *** because he is the one that told me I was not needed unless the person who was cited fights the ticket.

He has to keep calling you because you don't answer. Just explain that you aren't interested anymore.
                  For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by Redders View Post
                    Instead of ignoring the calls politely tell the investigating officer you no longer wish to provide statements in the investigation, you are a witness not a suspect, you can decline to participate at any time.
                    This, by the way is your answer. However, just by way of explanation, accident and other investigations often take on lives of their own. It may have been the investigator's original intent to simply obtain your original statement. Quite possibly, conflicting testimony on the part of drivers/other witnesses, may have prompted the investigator to call you again. Such calls do NOT constitute harassment. As has been noted, you can decline to participate in the investigation, and would only be compelled to testify or give a deposition under subpeona. Now, before you get all bent out of joint, recall that YOU came to us for answers.. YOU have received honest, good faith replies to your question.

Comment

Originally posted by Redders View Post
                      I would add that you can also politely tell the investigating officer that you would be happy to cooperate further, but he would have to come to you rather than you come to him .

Investigations sometimes gets legs of their own and take off in much different directions from the original incident. The investigator might be digging further into some aspect that you have no idea what his happening.

I also might add that you came to us. We, as trained investigators often are skeptical of people we do not know. In other words----people lie to us all the time, people mislead us all the time, people come on here to bait us all the time.

Even though some have doubts about your motives---------------you have been given good advice as to your questions.

Do with that advice what you wish

Have a good day
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Just tell the officer you are willing to talk with him over the phone, or if he comes to see you, but you are not going to drive to the police station. There is nothing they can do.
                        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for your input and your time. If he does call again, I will let you know the outcome.

Have a Happy Easter.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                            Just tell the officer you are willing to talk with him over the phone, or if he comes to see you, but you are not going to drive to the police station. There is nothing they can do.
                            Agreed. There is no reason he can't do a phone interview. If it is that important, he can come to you.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                              Im sure if he is coming to the station and writing on the witness statement he is filling out an affidavit and swearing to be telling the truth. If you are willing to continue to cooperate you can always ask the investigator send you the voluntary witness statement with a letter of any questions he has come up with if he is unwilling to ask the questions over the phone (depending on the investigation and what he needs to for court). If the statement would need to be notarized your local bank should be able to do it for you and you can just mail it back to him.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3628 users online. 200 members and 3428 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X