Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do as the law says, not as I do????

I am curious about something.

My dad was a truck driver and taught me to watch the driver, not the car, in order to get a better idea of what a driver is doing (aka not paying attention, reaching for something in the passenger seat, etc).

So I constantly see people doing stuff they should not be doing whilst driving. LEOs included...

I have seen (on several occasions) an officer talking on a cell phone to their ear while driving. Shouldn't the officers lead by example?

That brings up something else, rarely do I see a cruiser use their turn signal.

I don't think I have an actual question, just a casual observation.

Feel free to comment.

My comment....

Semis are the worst about not stopping for red lights. When you stop them, they *always* have an excuse. Ranging from "I didn't see the light" to "My rig is too light" (or too heavy) Plus whenever I stop truck drivers, I typically find more than one thing wrong with the truck.

Heck, when I worked in an area with heavy semi traffic, at least once a week I was hooking a truck driver for DWI and maybe once or twice a month I caught one with a hooker in the cab. Finally, my very rough estimate (just based on personal experience), I'd say 5-10% of commercial drivers don't have valid driver licenses....

Sorry, I got carried away, what was your question? Oh.... you wanted to complain about officers using a cell phone while driving? Yeah, I think cops should cut that out.

Comment

I believe you've visited us in the past, and brought a bit of an agenda with you. But, it's early in the morning, so I'll bite. My Agency employs an ongoing program entitled, "Enforce by Example". It enjoins Troopers to observe and obey the laws we're mandated to enforce. While the use of a cell phone while driving is not a violation of Alabama State Law currently, using a cell phone while driving does violate city ordinances in some cities. In those instances, the Trooper would observe the municipal ordinance. I don't know if the current CVC prohibits using a cell phone while driving, so I won't comment on California Officers using a cell while driving. FYI. there is a bill currently before the Alabama Legislature, which if passed, would prohibit the use of cell phones/texting while driving. There is no exemption for LE Officers. Hands free cell phone use would be permitted under the act if passed. You commented on motor carriers (trucks). My agency is mandated to enforce all laws applicable to commercial carriers, and yes we hear all the usual excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
        I am curious about something.

My dad was a truck driver and taught me to watch the driver, not the car, in order to get a better idea of what a driver is doing (aka not paying attention, reaching for something in the passenger seat, etc).

So I constantly see people doing stuff they should not be doing whilst driving. LEOs included...

I have seen (on several occasions) an officer talking on a cell phone to their ear while driving. Shouldn't the officers lead by example?

That brings up something else, rarely do I see a cruiser use their turn signal.

I don't think I have an actual question, just a casual observation.

Feel free to comment.
        Yeah, I talk on my phone while on patrol. All the time. Sometimes I multi-task and conduct a traffic stop while on the phone with my wife, don't worry she doesn't mind. As for the cruisers not using a turn signal - how am i supposed to signal when one hand is holding my phone and the other is steering?? I can't take my hand off the wheel, that is totally unsafe!! The ONLY time I drive with no hands is when I am typing on my MDT, but don't worry I am AWESOME at steering with my knee.
        As for truck drivers, rarely do I ever have issues with them. They are some of the most courteous and safety minded drivers on the road. They always follow traffic laws, they are professional drivers for goodness sake! Sometimes, yes, they get all coked up so they can drive straight through. So what, its cool. The way I see it, the more stimulants they ingest the better - gotta stay alert!!
        Oh, also at first I didn't know if I could comment on this post. Thanks for telling us to "feel free to comment" otherwise I wouldn't have been sure if I could or not!!
        Last edited by Ohio5-0; 04-03-2011, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Let me pull out my handy-dandy vehicle code...
          Originally posted by California Vehicle Code
          23123. (a) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle while using a wireless telephone unless that telephone is specifically designed and configured to allow hands-free listening and talking, and is used in that manner while driving.

(d) This section does not apply to an emergency services professional using a wireless telephone while operating an authorized emergency vehicle, as defined in Section 165, in the course and scope of his or her duties.
          So yeah, do as the law says.
          sigpic
          Any and all statements made by this account represent my sole opinion and do not reflect an official opinion, belief, or policy of any department or agency to which I am employed by. Further, I am in no way authorized to speak on behalf of any department or agency.

Comment

I'll only drive the speed limit when responding to your "someone's in my house" 911 call, too.
            LOST:
            Individual Responsibility
            If found, please return to society.

Comment

(d) This section does not apply to an emergency services professional using a wireless telephone while operating an authorized emergency vehicle, as defined in Section 165, in the course and scope of his or her duties.
              Yep, pretty much is standard for all vehicle codes when it comes to cops.
              It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

New Jersey

39:4-97.4 Inapplicability of act to certain officials.

2.The prohibitions set forth in this act shall not be applicable to any of the following persons while in the actual performance of their official duties: a law enforcement officer; a member of a paid, part-paid, or volunteer fire department or company; or an operator of an authorized emergency vehicle.
                We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

Anoher one. First off, where I live and work talking.on a cell phone isn't illegal so who cares? Second, believe it or not, cops are human. Sometimes they forget to use a turn signal too. Third, I watch the cars not the drivers.
                  For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

So your biggest complaint is officers talking on their cell phones and not using turn signals? Lets see cell phones are commonly used for police to speak to detectives, other officers or who ever about on going situations, heck even sometimes family members, so what? Granted I know some officers never use their turn signal but heaven forbid I don't occasionally. Sometimes you get a call on the radio that completely changes your direction of travel and from listening to the dispatcher describing the call to watching other drivers, trying to steer or read the computer about call updates using a turn signal is very low on my priority list.

I wish my life was as simple as yours where all the grief i had in the world was worrying about police using cell phones and not using turn signals.

Comment

As noted it's not illegal to operate a cell phone while driving a passenger car. It's however illegal to operate a CDL vehicle while using a cellphone. To which nearly every truck driver I see could be issued a ticket. So don't pretend truck drivers are perfect. Even though their sole single J O B is to be a professional driver piloting 80,000 pounds. If any profession should be experts at safe and legal driving it should be them.

This is the kicker - you ask for it and you'll get it as well. If you give zero tolerance towards people who earn a living as a cop then those cops have no reason to not issue tickets for every offense as well. Officers typically ignore at least 10 times the number of violations than they issues tickets for.
                      Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Your truck driving dad needs to stop being close enough to watch the driver. His 80,000lb missle needs over 600' feet to stop. He also needs to be looking several cars ahead and not the single driver in to his front.
                        Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Turn signals are required to be used at any time SOMEONE else may be affected. I don't have to use turn signals if my movement will not interfere with the lawful movement of another vehicle. Read the below excerpt from the California Vehicle Code:

Turning Movements and Required Signals

22107. No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other vehicle may be affected by the movement.

Amended Ch. 1996, Stats. 1959. Effective September 18, 1959.
                          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I'm not only exempt from NC's texting while driving law, I get the honor of running a COMPUTER at the same time. Let's not forget answering the radio, holding a cup of coffee and trying to find that suspect I have warrants on. YAY me!
                            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I masturbate while I'm on patrol. Neat huh?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5672 users online. 332 members and 5340 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X