300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Serious Question

Back in the early 90's, right after the Rodney King fiasco, I particpated in a series of meetings lead by the LAPD. Many of us were, and to a large degree, are still fearful of cops. A police captain, two LT's, and other officers were in attendance, and suggested we do the following when being pulled over:

1. Slow down to 20-25 mph
    2. Turn on your emergency lights
    3. Drive to a heavily populated area (no matter how long it took to get there)
    4. Kill the ignition, place the keys on the dash, roll down all windows, turn off music, and keep your hands on the steering wheel

My question to you officers; would this upset you? Should I drop the paranoia, and just pull over where I am, trusting that I won't be in any danger?
    “Life takes on meaning when you become motivated, set goals, and charge after them in an unstoppable manner”

God help you if you continue driving away from the police when they signal you to pull over. The nearest heavily populated area from us is 12 miles. Guarantee you wouldn't get that far.
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Those "instructions" are repeated by Law Enforcement PIO's pretty much every time there is someone out there trying to pull over cars to attack the female drivers......................

Note I said PIO's------------------and many time other administrative types are the ones making those suggestions-------not the line officers who actually do the stops.

In most areas--------------------you could probably LEGALLY get away with doing those things----------------------------but I WILL guarantee you that the simple traffic stop just got upgraded to a felony stop with guns out and you laying on the ground in a very uncomfortable potion.

Then you will really have something to complain about.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

You have no reason to be fearful or afraid of the police. I'm going to make an assumption that you are afraid of police misusing their authority on you. I can assure you that while there are a few officers out there that do, they represent less than 1% of us. Unfortunately in this profession, if the media catches one bad officer doing something he or she isn't suppose to do, the public likes to point the finger at all of us and stereotype all of us as corrupt and abusive. Whether or not you meant to, you already have shown a bias you have of us by asking us if you should stop being paranoid and not worry about any danger as a result of a police encounter. Ask yourself this, is that fair to us?

Put yourself in our shoes for a minute. All tactics, laws, rules and regulations aside, you are a police officer and you are pulling over a vehicle, lets say for a minor traffic violation. You are a fair, honest police officer and treat everyone professionaly. You stop the vehicle, get out of the car and approach the operator to greet him/her and explain why you pulled them over. Before you can greet him/her, the person you pulled over is already stating how you are a racist, they don't trust cops and they get on their cell phone to make a call to a friend so their friend can hear the interaction between you two. This person believes that you are out to abuse your authority -- either by pulling them over for a unlawful reason, giving them a citation for something they didn't do, and/or maybe use excessive (physical) force on them. Being the professional, fair police officer that you are, how would that make you feel?

99% of us (all of us who entered this profession for the right reasons), took an oath to uphold the constitution, your rights and serve the public. Our job is to serve you. How do you think it makes us feel when the public doesn't trust us because of the actions of one bad officer? It's sad, but a lot of us are used to the public not trusting us now. Should it be this way?

In regards to your question, I would only recommend you follow those suggestions if you feel you are being pulled over by a police impersonator. If you have no doubt in your mind that you are being stopped by a police officer, pull over immediately. The majority of our decisions, tactics and responses to people are based off our safety. Again, if you were a police officer, how would you feel if someone, instead of pulling over right away like the majority do, decide for follow those suggestions? Is the person you are pulling over just being careful, or is the person you pulling over now trying to load a firearm so they can kill you when you step out of the car?

Just something to think about.

Comment

If you keep driving when I attempt to pull you over I'll arrest you for felony flight...you've already indicated that you know I'm behind you by slowing down and when you continue to keep driving I'll assume you're trying to flee. #4 is the best advice to take but I would absolutely not continue to drive knowing that an Officer is behind you and attempting to get you to stop....that could lead to way more problems then whatever it was he was stopping you for.

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro View Post
            Back in the early 90's, right after the Rodney King fiasco, I particpated in a series of meetings lead by the LAPD. Many of us were, and to a large degree, are still fearful of cops. A police captain, two LT's, and other officers were in attendance, and suggested we do the following when being pulled over:

1. Slow down to 20-25 mph
            2. Turn on your emergency lights
            3. Drive to a heavily populated area (no matter how long it took to get there)
            4. Kill the ignition, place the keys on the dash, roll down all windows, turn off music, and keep your hands on the steering wheel

My question to you officers; would this upset you? Should I drop the paranoia, and just pull over where I am, trusting that I won't be in any danger?
            It wouldn't upset me but you would probably find yourself in jail.

Comment

I think that the admin type who gave you the aforementioned advice might have referred to an unmarked car or a situation that might cause doubt as to whether or not the "officer" behind you was legitimate.

There are some impersonators out there who might get by with a single red or blue (varies by state, I guess) light atop their dashboard; which might be cause for hesitation on the part of a motorist. If the car behind you has a roof-mounted light bar flashing in the appropriate colors for your state, "POLICE" or "SHERIFF" markings on the doors & fenders and a man or woman in uniform behind the wheel.......I would strongly suggest stopping immediately!

Don't know what a 'standard' patrol car will have where you live, but any unmarked patrol car in VA is going to have at least one flashing blue light (some agencies may use blue and red). You'll typically see grill lights on some cars and flashing "wig wag" headlights on others. If that fails, listen for a siren. Where I live, the unmarked units will have plenty of illumination and there will be little doubt in your mind when one pulls up behind you.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I appreciate the feedback, Officers. I understand the pressures you're under, don't think for a moment that I don't.

MP1161,
                Don't you treat us, the general public, based on the 1% that are out to harm you? So how then can you fault me for being fearful of all cops based on the 1%?

I didn't get this way based on one incident. LAPD, particularly the Beverly Hills and Bel Air divisions, are no joke, and i'd also like to add the Altadena Sheriffs. Things were tense for a little while. It's like they were lumping us all in, and couldn't tell the difference between us, and the knuckleheads.
                “Life takes on meaning when you become motivated, set goals, and charge after them in an unstoppable manner”

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Comment

Officer Amw, i'm familiar with this video, and have laughed over it many times.

Comment

I appreciate the feedback, Officers. I understand the pressures you're under, don't think for a moment that I don't.

MP1161,
                      Don't you treat us, the general public, based on the 1% that are out to harm you? So how then can you fault me for being fearful of all cops based on the 1%?

I didn't get this way based on one incident. LAPD, particularly the Beverly Hills and Bel Air divisions, are no joke, and i'd also like to add the Altadena Sheriffs. Things were tense for a little while. It's like they were lumping us all in, and couldn't tell the difference between us, and the knuckleheads.
                      See that's just it....how are we, as police officer supposed to know who's going to harm us and who isn't...and that percentage is a lot more then 1%, just look at all the officers who have been killed and shot so far this year...we're on pace to outnumber last years LOD deaths. I treat everyone with suspicion until I'm satisfied that they aren't a threat....no other job out there do people go to work and have to worry about being killed because of what they do.

Comment

MP1161,

In reply to what I bolded, I see it like this... a bad guy's purpose is to be bad, a cop's purpose is not. A "bad" bad guy is the norm (naturally ALL bad guys are bad!) A "bad" cop is the exception, the out of character oddball. We do not know when we stop you if you are a bad guy or not. You know we are a cop. Since we are dealing with the unknown, we have to, for our safety, assume you might be a bad guy. You, however, knowing we are a cop, should not logically assume that every cop is the exception to the rule, the out of character less than 1% oddball.
                        "Of course America had often been discovered before Columbus, but it had always been hushed up."

Comment

MP1161,
                          You didn't answer my questions, but I'll answer another one of yours.

No, I treat everyone professionaly unless their actions dictate otherwise, however I am always consious that anyone can be out to harm me. Maybe those with bad previous experiences with police, such as yourself, should do the same? I think it is rediculous that people should always be consious that the police could abuse their authority or are out to harm them, but its better than having people like you with bad prior police experiences stereotype us. I'm sure you don't like to be stereotyped. We don't either.
                          Last edited by mp1161; 03-20-2011, 05:41 PM.

Comment

MP1161,

At the risk of sounding argumentive, you have NO idea of the pressures the police are under. Your statement(s) prove my point. It's entirely possible to keep all of this very simple. First: Drive in such a manner as to make a traffic stop unlikely. Second: If you're stopped, dispense with all the BS and drama, and simply obey any instructions given you.

Comment

Common sense goes a long way. I had a lady one evening fail to stop for several minutes and explained that she wanted to get somewhere she felt safe because she wasnt sure if I was legit or now. common sense points:

1. She had just driven past me
                              2. I was in a fully marked police car including decals, lightbar, etc
                              3. I was completely uniformed
                              4. she drove past all the street lights and parked in a darker area.

**all of the above make me suspicious***

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4949 users online. 167 members and 4782 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X