300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Written Warning

What is it? I've never heard of such a thing. Is it a warning with copies made that are entered into the P.D. computers so that they have a record of a stop? So that if the individual is pulled over again, they definitely get a ticket that second time around?

And wouldn't one have a record of a stop even with a verbal warning? Since the plate numbers are looked up and all of that? Not sure how it works, exactly.

Don't bother folks........

Comment

We can write them, some officers do some don't.

Some officers think it sends a stronger message than a verbal warning, but I doubt it has much effect on people either way.

We can look up warnings and prior call events (such as traffic stops), but it is a different system than our CAD, so you have to take the time to start it up and log in. Quite franky, I don't think anyone does. I generally decide if they are getting ticket before I get out of the car.
      Last edited by Dingo990; 03-17-2011, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
        We can write them, some officers do some don't.

Some officers think it sends a stronger message than a verbal warning, but I doubt it has much effect on people either way.

We can look up warnings and prior call events (such as traffic stops), but it is a different system than our CAD, so you have to take the time to start it up and log in. Quite franky, I don't think anyone does. I generally decide if they are getting ticket before I get out of the car.
        Unless you decide that you're just going to give them a warning, but their attitude during the conversation is really negative/confrontational and you decide to give them a ticket instead, right?

Comment

In my state they are recorded exactly like a regular traffic citation....................just listed as a warning.

That way if 250 miles down the road another officer catches you doing 80 mph again ------he/she will find out that you were warned earlier.

It might change the way the officer handles the second violation.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Soviet View Post
            Unless you decide that you're just going to give them a warning, but their attitude during the conversation is really negative/confrontational and you decide to give them a ticket instead, right?
            No. I do have my pet peeves (cell phone use when I walk up), but in general I don't write attitude tickets. I know some officers that do and quite frankly I don't blame them.

More likely, someone can talk me out of a ticket, I will take a good excuse under advisement.

Comment

We have written warnings, but I don't use them often. If I am going to write, the State needs to be reimbursed for the ink and paper I used, so I make it a ticket.

Comment

we have warning citations. I have never seen one placed near a patrol car. We do verbals and those are entered in our system. the next time your stopped, it will not look favorable .

If I take the time to write something, it will have a monetary value attatched.
                Last edited by rookie904; 03-21-2011, 01:00 AM. Reason: added more.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie904 View Post
                  If I take the time to write something, it will have a monetary value attatched.
                  +1
                  A written warning is a warning that is written. Pretty self explanitory.

Comment

Or in our case where all traffic stops (per policy) must include written documentation or explanation as to why either a warning, citation, or repair issue was not issued.

Comment

Our citation form is used for citations, written warnings, and Field Interviews. The citations and warnings go to the muni court; I don't know what they do with the warnings but they don't come up when you run a car through the MDT. The FIs don't even go to the court but they ARE entered into the PD database, so we keep current info on bad guys we stop and talk to. It's also used for criminal trespass warnings.

We are allowed to give verbal warnings for a lot of offenses (some offenses we are required to cite for) but most of the officers I've asked won't bother with a written warning. Either a verbal, or a cite. Or code it as an FI if you want to track that person's involvement with the PD.
                      If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Soviet View Post

And wouldn't one have a record of a stop even with a verbal warning? Since the plate numbers are looked up and all of that? Not sure how it works, exactly.
                        Kind of. The info dispatch enters on the car when I call the stop is saved in the computer forever. Also, if I run anyone on the stop, their name and DOB is entered. So if I knew what day I stopped you, I could look it up and get your info, and then run you and your car again for any recent activity.

But really? That's a little ridiculous to go to all that trouble. For what? Do you think I care how many times you've been stopped for ________? I don't; I only care about this one.
                        If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Originally posted by School Cop View Post
                          Kind of. The info dispatch enters on the car when I call the stop is saved in the computer forever. Also, if I run anyone on the stop, their name and DOB is entered. So if I knew what day I stopped you, I could look it up and get your info, and then run you and your car again for any recent activity.

But really? That's a little ridiculous to go to all that trouble. For what? Do you think I care how many times you've been stopped for ________? I don't; I only care about this one.
                          I disagree a bit with your last point. I DO care how many times they've been stopped for X. Say X is an equipment violation and they've been stopped 4 different times and warned to fix it then it's obvious they aren't getting the point and a fix-it citation is in order. I also like the idea of knowing how many times someone has been stopped for speeding, etc. It establishes a pattern.

Comment

All my enforcement action has now went electonic, so regardless if it's a warning or a citation it gets printed from an in-car computer and given to the operator. This electronic system lets me look up the tag and the operator and see how many time each have been stopped, when, for what, from what officer, and issued what type of enforcement action for what violation. VERY handy.

Comment

But he thinks some speed limits are inappropriate and uses a detector to map speed traps.
                              Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6631 users online. 352 members and 6279 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X