300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bicycles and Speeding Tickets

Suppose a bicycle was zooming downhill at 35mph in a 25mph zone. With the exception of speeding, all other traffic laws are being followed. How would you respond to this situation?

Would you give a warning? A citation?

It's something I've always wondered because while several cyclists have gotten stop sign and red light violation tickets, I've never heard about a cyclist getting a speeding ticket.

Wondering what are your viewpoints on this.

I've never personally had the pleasure, but several of my partners have written that ticket. Bikes have to obey the laws of the road just like other vehicles.
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Comment

10 MPH over the posted speed limit= at least a written warning. Citation depending upon traffic conditions.

Comment

Wait until he inevitably runs the stop sign at the bottom of the hill then write him for both.
        Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

I don't cite cars for 35 in a 25. Why should I cite a bicyclist?
          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
            I don't cite cars for 35 in a 25. Why should I cite a bicyclist?
            Officer discretion, DAL.

Comment

No cite IF he had blue lites on the tail of his bike
              "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
                Only if he has a white helmet.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
                  And, if it was a Chinese Rocketa Scooter ridden by Cinitus the Troll.

Comment

I don't think I'd want to be seen with a bicycle pulled over...
                    "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
                    but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Highwaylaw View Post
                      I used to feel the same way. Now I do it all the time. Great way to find dope and warrants.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                        Officer discretion, DAL.
                        OK, I will rephrase: Why would I exercise my discretion to cite a bicyclist for 35 in a 25 when I do not exercise the same discretion to cite a motorist for the same violation?
                        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

OK, I will rephrase: Why would I exercise my discretion to cite a bicyclist for 35 in a 25 when I do not exercise the same discretion to cite a motorist for the same violation?
                          Ok let's up the speed to 37 in a 25.
                          DAL?
                          Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

OK, I can live with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Highwaylaw View Post
                              You might want to expand your horizons......

Bike at night w/o headlights ect usually= tweaker......tweaker always = burglar......bike stops are a great way to find tweakers, stolen property (including the bike), dope, ect ect
                              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3673 users online. 196 members and 3477 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X