300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Motorcyclists and Bribes

I'm a big fan of round-the-world motorcycle trips and spend a fair bit of my free time reading logs or stories about them. Whether it's Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman going "The Long Way Round" or just some regular joes with nothing but heart and a little bit of cash, it's always been a great read. One thing that pops up time and again, however, is the attitude of police officers in the former USSR, through which any round the world motorcycle trip has to go through to qualify.

As in the West, there are all kinds of officers there. Some will help tirelessly...while others outright ask for bribes and signal motorcyclists over to see how much money they can bilk them out of. Officers there are paid nowhere near the amount they are in the West. We're talking $100-$200 a month salaries here, if they're lucky. So a little bit of bribery is perfectly understandable. What eventually ends up happening, though, is that the Russian and Kazakh officers try to pull motorcyclists over but the cyclists just keep on going: they don't stop at all. Why would you, when all your papers are in order, you've done nothing wrong and you know you're just gonna be lied to and asked for a bribe? And the Russian/Kazakh police don't even chase you down. Not enough gas in the Lada...the motorcycle can probably outrun it on the crappy roads even if it had a half tank.

It got me thinking, though: what if someone from that part of the planet was going on a round-the-world trip through America and got pulled over? Granted, the odds are that they're educated enough to know that Western police corps are (usually) professional, but what if they still act like they're back in Russia or Kazakhstan and don't stop? Or, if they stop, they give you a bribe right off the bat? And it's obvious to you they're foreign: they look and sound like it and they give you an international driver's license.

What would you do in that situation? How would you treat them, considering where they're from and the customs in their part of the world? Have you ever even encountered it? If you had, how did you handle it? I imagine the Canadian officers may have had more experience with this since there aren't very many roads up there in comparison to the USA. Anyways, just curious at your answers.

Regards,

XS

You simply tell them that bribes are not part of how things are done and to put their money away before they get arrested.

Comment

Depending on the exact circs; they get to go to jail for attempting to bribe a government official....and/or evading.

If you dont know the laws, then you have no business driving in that particular country.
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

If they don't stop, they are going to jail when caught.

Offered a bride, I'd tell them once that's not how it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
          Depending on the exact circs; they get to go to jail for attempting to bribe a government official....and/or evading.

If you dont know the laws, then you have no business driving in that particular country.
          X-2. Still Trolling Soviet?

Comment

Well, in California I can arrest them and impound their ride for driving without a license. An international driver's license means exactly jack fuc&*ing diddly in California.

All of these threads you are starting are straight out of a book titled "Peterson's Compendium of Highly Unlikely Scenarios."

Go away.

Comment

They get arrested for bribery and NO DL. Intl DL's are bogus in all 50 states.

Comment

How can foreigners with valid DLs in their jurisdictions be allowed to drive in the USA & Canada? I drove in Germany with a AAA International Driver's License that was valid over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Soviet View Post
                  I'm a big fan of round-the-world motorcycle trips

Too bad you don't go on one----------go ahead----Please!
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

You've got to carry both your home country DL and the International DL. The International DL is only an informational piece that gives your DL information in several different languages. As long as you have a license in your country (that is valid) you can drive anywhere in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Vtfuzz View Post
                      You've got to carry both your home country DL and the International DL. The International DL is only an informational piece that gives your DL information in several different languages. As long as you have a license in your country (that is valid) you can drive anywhere in the US.
                      That's what I thought. Same as in Europe.

Comment

Op, you sure seem to want to travel the US alot. You seem to think that you are going to be harassed by police everywhere you go and get fines that YOU certainly don't deserve. What is up with you? Why don't you just shut up and go about your business like everyone else? Every day you post a new thread trying to find ways to violate the law and not get charged. If our counrty sucks so much for you, GO BACK TO YOURS.

By the way, an international license is nothing. It translates a foreign license so that we can read it. Nothing more. And the foreign license is NO GOOD if you live here. It is intended for travelers, not illegals who cannot get a US license and have lived here for a few years. Ticket and wrecker coming!

PS Please post your name so that when you do travel and we do pull you over, that we make sure you don't get a written warning.

Comment

Had a guy from NYC try that & friend had a guy from Chicago try it also.what a surprise............ anyway coming from NYC I explained to him it just simply isn't done "that way" here and he had no problem with it. The guy from Chicago however......he had a fifty dollar bill behind his license & when he handed it to my friend, my friend gave it back to him & said "What's this?!?!?" The guy got all bent out of shape & accused my friend of trying to shake him, stating that was the going rate in Chicago & he wanted to see our supervisor, etc. etc. He was told in no uncertain terms, brives are NOT accpeted procedures, a supervisor showing up would surely land him in jail & he best take the red-light ticket (among others now) without complaint.........

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Soviet View Post
                            How can foreigners with valid DLs in their jurisdictions be allowed to drive in the USA & Canada? I drove in Germany with a AAA International Driver's License that was valid over there.
                            Valid for what? Germany's traffic law makes ours look like the Wild Wild West.
                            Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6071 users online. 341 members and 5730 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X