Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warnings VS Citations, and court supervision

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Warnings VS Citations, and court supervision

    Hello
    Recently i was stopped for speeding and had a general question about when people are, or are not handed citations.

    I was on my lunch break from work and had a few errands to run in the meantime. I was stopped for doing 38 in a 25. I understand that i was speeding by 13 miles an hour, However i couldnt help but be a little upset when i was given a ticket instead of a warning. I live 30 miles west of the town i work in, and i honestly had no idea that i was speeding. Also it was the last day of February. I couldn't help but think "probably has not met his quota..." So what warrants being given a warning vs a citation?

    Also, The policeman that handed me the citation said that i had to attend the court date in order to receive court supervision. Is this true? I only ask because at the moment i am sort of in between jobs. I've been told that my interview at another company was successful, but at this time they can not give me a start date. I worry that i will not be able to attend because i wont be able to take the time off to go if i start a new job. Is there anyway i can send a letter with a check and court supervision? Or do i have to hire an attorney? Call and ask to speak with the judge?

    Thank you for your time
    Any opinions/information you can offer are immensly appreciated.

  • #2
    Originally posted by lmd84 View Post
    I couldn't help but think "probably has not met his quota..."
    Or maybe, just *POSSIBLY* it was because you were fricken' speeding.

    Some officers write everyone they stop; others give out more warnings than tickets. Most are somewhere in between Every officer has their own opinion on what to give out tickets for and when. Personally, I think a ticket for 38 in a 25 is pretty fair.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
      Or maybe, just *POSSIBLY* it was because you were fricken' speeding.

      Some officers write everyone they stop; others give out more warnings than tickets. Most are somewhere in between Every officer has their own opinion on what to give out tickets for and when. Personally, I think a ticket for 38 in a 25 is pretty fair.
      +1

      Comment


      • #4
        Sorry sir, where do you get the idea that there is any "quota system". All 50 states have laws against agency's impossing some form of "quota" system for their officers.

        If I take the time to stop you, get off my bike, walk up to your vehicle, talk to you I have to document the contact. I might just as well write you a citation, it's the same amount of paperwork.

        I really get sick and tired of motorist demanding, yes I mean demanding, a warning.

        When I was a lot younger I got my share of taffic tickets and I just paid them. I did not run and cry to anybody that I did not get a warning.
        Last edited by 2wheeldep; 03-10-2011, 09:39 AM. Reason: xxxxxxx

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by lmd84 View Post
          Hello
          Recently i was stopped for speeding and had a general question about when people are, or are not handed citations.

          I was on my lunch break from work and had a few errands to run in the meantime. I was stopped for doing 38 in a 25. I understand that i was speeding by 13 miles an hour, However i couldnt help but be a little upset when i was given a ticket instead of a warning. I live 30 miles west of the town i work in, and i honestly had no idea that i was speeding. Also it was the last day of February. I couldn't help but think "probably has not met his quota..." So what warrants being given a warning vs a citation?

          Also, The policeman that handed me the citation said that i had to attend the court date in order to receive court supervision. Is this true? I only ask because at the moment i am sort of in between jobs. I've been told that my interview at another company was successful, but at this time they can not give me a start date. I worry that i will not be able to attend because i wont be able to take the time off to go if i start a new job. Is there anyway i can send a letter with a check and court supervision? Or do i have to hire an attorney? Call and ask to speak with the judge?

          Thank you for your time
          Any opinions/information you can offer are immensly appreciated.
          Why not try this: Instead of blaming your failure to comply with the law on the Officer, accept responsibility for it. Oh, and here's a newsflash. Officer discretion notwithstanding, 13 MPH over the posted speed limit will get you a citation just about anywhere you care to mention.The fact that you're "between jobs" is NOT the Officer's problem. It should however, be a consideration for you to pay more attention to your driving. Regarding the instructions the Officer gave you in reference to court. Follow them. Look at your copy of the citation, you know, the one you're crying to us about. There should be all the court information you need, including a phone number to call with your questions.

          Comment


          • #6
            So you were running an errand while on your lunch break from work...of the job that youre between? Anyway... you said yourself you were 13 over, own your citation!

            Comment


            • #7
              Why do people who come here to complain about tickets always feel the need to give us this lengthy story about where they were going etc? You were speeding. You got a ticket. End of story.
              For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

              "Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by lmd84 View Post
                Hello
                Recently i was stopped for speeding and had a general question about when people are, or are not handed citations.

                I was on my lunch break from work and had a few errands to run in the meantime. I was stopped for doing 38 in a 25. I understand that i was speeding by 13 miles an hour, However i couldnt help but be a little upset when i was given a ticket instead of a warning. I live 30 miles west of the town i work in, and i honestly had no idea that i was speeding. Also it was the last day of February. I couldn't help but think "probably has not met his quota..." So what warrants being given a warning vs a citation?

                Also, The policeman that handed me the citation said that i had to attend the court date in order to receive court supervision. Is this true? I only ask because at the moment i am sort of in between jobs. I've been told that my interview at another company was successful, but at this time they can not give me a start date. I worry that i will not be able to attend because i wont be able to take the time off to go if i start a new job. Is there anyway i can send a letter with a check and court supervision? Or do i have to hire an attorney? Call and ask to speak with the judge?

                Thank you for your time
                Any opinions/information you can offer are immensly appreciated.
                You contradict yourself in your story. Simply put, show up in court and face the music. If you're gonna break the law, be prepared to pay the penalty when you're caught.
                Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Some agencies will give officers absolute discretion regarding whether to cite, while others have specific guidelines as to may warn/shall cite.

                  Anything that is 10 over the limit, especially when we are talking about a 25 MPH zone is usually good for a cite. The fact that you had no idea as to what the speed limit was usually ensures that a cite will be issued. Most traffic violations are not intentional but the result of inattention such as what you apparently displayed with regard to the speed limit. It is that inattention that results in traffic accidents which cause property damage, injury and death. Government has found that the best way to get drivers to pay attention to their driving (at least for a little while) is to have pesky government employees issue those annoying traffic tickets from time to time. The recipients don't like it, but they usually correct their driving habits for a while and make the roadway a bit safer,

                  As far as quotas are concerned. Every state I know of has made it a crime to impose them. Must cops take umbrage when you accuse them of trying to meet quotas, especially when you do so in response to getting a citation for which you have admitted guilt.

                  You messed up. Pay the fine and move on with your life.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    "So what warrants being given a warning vs a citation?"

                    You speeding
                    Those of us that are in this profession have much thicker skins than the average person. Your "insults" are not even a good pimple on the *** of what truly bothers us. -Iowa 1603

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      For me, at 13 over, I check your driving history, if it looks good your probaby just getting a warning. If you got a ticket last year....Happy Anniversary!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by lmd84 View Post
                        Call and ask to speak with the judge?
                        LOL! I'm sure he has nothing better to do.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 2wheeldep View Post
                          Sorry sir, where do you get the idea that there is any "quata system". All 50 states have laws against agency's impossing some form of "quata" system for their officers.................
                          Just FYI- no such law in New Mexico
                          1. Serve the public trust
                          2. Protect the innocent
                          3. Uphold the law

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I never said it was the officer's problem. That was a question for my purposes to attempt to find out what my options are. Calm down.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              One good answer in twelve. Thanks L-1.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4495 users online. 299 members and 4196 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X