Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1. Don't you have anything better to do than issue me a ticket!!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1. Don't you have anything better to do than issue me a ticket!!

2. I pay your salary!
    3. There are REAL criminals committing crimes right NOW!
    4. I didn't know it was illegal, ergo I should be let go.
    5. Why can't I just have a warning??!

And on and on, as I'm sure every LEO here has heard countless time.

CHP gave me a ticket this past weekend, and I said exactly NONE of these things. Cause I know the answers.

1. No, not really
    2. Just giving you a retunrn on the investment
    3. And you, having broken the law, are one
    4. Ignorance does not equal innocence
    5. Because you asked

I've never understood why "normal" people become such insufferable fools during a t-stop. I was pulling a trailer with my truck (empty) and was in the #2 lane on the freeway doing 65. I 100% did not know that I could only be in the right 2 lanes (3 & 4), but I intellectually knew about the 55 speed limit with a trailer (was doing 65). I was polite, and gave the officer all the proper paper - license, insurance, registration, etc. Although I would have loved to have gotten a warning only, I knew that it was all on him to either cut me a break or nail me to the wall. The officer was professional, and did cut me a break by leaving the speed out off the cite, so all I got was being in the wrong lane. It never once crossed my mind to ask for a break, and I never have in all my citation situations (6 in 20+ years). Cause it's been my experience that MY attitude determines how the situation will play out. And that experience has been reinforced by feedback both from this forum, and from my offline LE friends.

"To all you average Joes reading this, if you get pulled over the best thing you can do is not be an *****!"

On a weird side note, when I was on my way home (reverse route, same freeway) I saw the same CHP unit going in the direction I had been earlier, and he did look over at my truck as I passed. Kinda hard to miss a big red F150. Fortunately I was in the #3 lane locked at 55.....

so do you have a question lol?

but yes.. if your an *** to me you will be getting a ticket.. maybe 2.

being polite, admitting what you did, and not playing ignorant greatly improves your chances of not getting cited..

However... if your doing 15 over the speed limit and you want a break its not likely going to happen even if your polite.

Comment

I guess there really wasn't a question, was there...

You know, as soon as I got lit up, and during the stop, my son was super-excited. He's (11 YO and autistic) never been pulled over before. He started by saying "Daddy don't run - you'll get tased!" Followed by "Is there going to be a fight?" Overall he was a LOT more excited than I was, and for the rest of our outing was loaded with questions about what happens next. Aside from the ticket/fine, he did manage to make it funny, and was a good learning experience (learning form the mistakes of others).

Comment

I can understand why your 11yo was more excited than you were... ; )
        Dig
        Never...EVER...do anything to encourage a mime!

Comment

2. I pay your salary!

- No, revenues from oil leases in the 70's pays my salary

3. There are REAL criminals committing crimes right NOW!

- More people die from speeding that any other crime. Additionally, you should slow down to free me up to catch the 'real criminals'

4. I didn't know it was illegal, ergo I should be let go.

- Now you know. The statute is on the ticket.

5. Why can't I just have a warning??!

- Because I'm writing you a ticket, that's why.

Comment

Why do and did I like (yes like) writing citations to people for moving violations? Because I worked full-time traffic homicide investigation in Broward County Florida for 7 years. Pulled hundreds of dead bodys (infants to old people) out of cars at crash scenes, and most of the time, the crash was due to a stupid error or mistake. People have no clue most of the time what a danger a 3000+ steel bullet is and what damage it can do when operated improperly. The VAST majority of fatals I worked were a direct result of Speeding.
            Police Academy Commander
            Lead Firearms Instructor
            35+ years as a cop
            Becoming a Police Officer
            So you think you can do this job?

I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

Comment

We had an officer once who determined how much of the average city taxpayer's taxes went towards a police officer's salary. It came out to be a penny or two. Whenever a citizen used the "I pay your salary" line, he would pull out a few pennies, apologize for them not being satisfied with the service, and offer them a refund. He got a few complaints over the years for doing that.
              Did you ever notice that incorrectly is only spelled correctly when it's spelled incorrectly?

Comment

Oh and I forgot to mention that when one person made a mistake and crashed, it most of the time also involved a completely innocent person who was minding their own business but was that wrong place at the wrong time. If issuing a citation slowed or stopped or made someone think twice, then your family member they would have killed otherwise is alive because of that citation. Your welcome!
                Police Academy Commander
                Lead Firearms Instructor
                35+ years as a cop
                Becoming a Police Officer
                So you think you can do this job?

I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

Comment

"yeah, but im not doing them right now"

http://www.entertonement.com/clips/n...er-Eliot-Ness-
                  In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

40,000 people killed every year in mva's in the US, and even most cops don't take enforcement as seriously as they should.

AJ, sounds to me like you took your medicine like a man and provided a fine example for your son. Why can't they all be like you?
                    "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
                    but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Highwaylaw View Post
                      AJ, sounds to me like you took your medicine like a man and provided a fine example for your son. Why can't they all be like you?
                      As one of the first replies pointed out, there wasn't really a question. I figured I'd give you guys a break on the ticket posts where the offender blames everyone but htemselves, but mostly the officer citing them, by posting what a person SHOULD do, which is to take their lumps. And if I got a chuckle or 2, then that's even more to the good.

I'm an adult, and am therefore responsible for my own actions and the consequences. And I have zero pity for the posters that get stomped on when they come here crying about how :unfair" it was that they got cited for (as an example) speeding, when they were, in fact, speeding.

Comment

Crap. I totally came into this thread with my popcorn expecting a full-blown firefight. How disappointing.

Good for you though in taking the ticket like a man and accepting responsibility. Attitude is probably one of my top 2 pre-determining factors for whether or not I'm giving you a ticket.

Comment

What the crap ?? I wanted to make some stupid comment, for a stupid question but cant. man this aint right.
                          It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking042900 View Post
                            We had an officer once who determined how much of the average city taxpayer's taxes went towards a police officer's salary. It came out to be a penny or two. Whenever a citizen used the "I pay your salary" line, he would pull out a few pennies, apologize for them not being satisfied with the service, and offer them a refund. He got a few complaints over the years for doing that.
                            That is hilarious.

Comment

Nice...I worked with a guy that drove a corvette with a plate frame that read "You pay my salary? Thanks!"
                              "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
                              but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6600 users online. 348 members and 6252 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X