300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about moving to new state.

My husband and I recently moved to Illinois from Minnesota. We found out that we have only 3 months to switch everything over regarding license plates, etc. My question is, why does it have to be done within 3 months and what would happen if it didn't get done? I also don't understand that in order to establish residency for tuition you have to live somewhere for a year, but only get 3 months by the dmv standards.
    I understand the states have to make their money, more than anything nowadays, but financially we cannot afford this right now. We are renewing our tabs from Minnesota until we can afford the ones here.

I know what you're thinking, start walking! But seriously, I thought this was a free country to roam where you please regardless of what state your license says.

Originally posted by kimber20074 View Post
    My husband and I recently moved to Illinois from Minnesota. We found out that we have only 3 months to switch everything over regarding license plates, etc. My question is, why does it have to be done within 3 months and what would happen if it didn't get done? I also don't understand that in order to establish residency for tuition you have to live somewhere for a year, but only get 3 months by the dmv standards.
    I understand the states have to make their money, more than anything nowadays, but financially we cannot afford this right now. We are renewing our tabs from Minnesota until we can afford the ones here.

I know what you're thinking, start walking! But seriously, I thought this was a free country to roam where you please regardless of what state your license says.
    You are comparing apples to oranges, the DMV vs University? You could be cited for not transferring your tag over within 90 days, your Driver's license within 30 days.
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Three months, in some other states, would already be waaaaay overdue. Back in California I think you had 30 days if you had moved there.

As far as what could happen? You could be cited for being a driver who has moved into the state who has not obtained a valid D/L, or registered their vehicle in a timely manner.

Plain and simple, the state wants your license and car reg fees ASAP to contribute to their treasury. The want to able to quote, in a timely manner, how many cars are licensed drivers there are and how many registered cars there are on the roads. That way, they can use accurate stats to beg and plead for Fed Hwy funds....it's all about the Benjamins!
      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

If you'd moved from Minnesota to Wisconsin, you would have had 48 hours to transfer your plates.

Failure to transfer is a pretty hefty fine over here.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

In Alabama, you'd have thirty days in which to obtain an Alabama Driver's License, and Alabama tags for your vehicle(s)., after accepting employment, placing a child in public school, or otherwise establishing residency. There are two notable exceptions. Active Duty Armed Forces personnel /spouse.children. stationed in the State of Alabama. Under provisions of both Federal and State Law, these personnel can retain a valid Driver's License from their home state, as well as motor vehicle registration. The other exception would that of a college or university student who pays out of state (higher) tuition than a resident student. If you claim this is essentially a revenue consideration, you'd be absolutely correct, and Alabama makes no apology for that fact. Failure to register you vehicle in Alabama/obtain an Alabama DL, are both pretty strictly enforced. It's actually cheaper to comply with the law(s) concerning the establishment of residency.

Comment

Just moved from Calee to NY. Had to register all of the vehicles...let me start from the beginning...inspect the vehicles prior to going to DMV, insure the vehicles in NY, apply for new titles. The DL's were easier...just exchange them.

Mind you all DL's and registration were still valid in Calee. Did I forget to mention I had to renew my license prior to leaving Calee because it would have expired on the way.

Had to show ss#, passport, birth certificate and promise them my first born!

Remember driving is not a right it is a privilege...abide by the state rules or take public transportation. Yes you are free to roam the country in compliance or not...... but don't come back here whinning when you get a ticket.
            This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

If memory serves me correctly, you have 30 days in Virginia to register your vehicle (tags, stickers, etc.); but sixty days to transfer your driver's license. Weird, huh?

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I know driving is a privelege and not a right. I was simply asking a question. Where we live there is no public transporation, not even a cab service. I was asking due to the fact of our financial situation. I have thankfully found a job and will fit this all into our budget.

Comment

My question is, why does it have to be done within 3 months and what would happen if it didn't get done?
                  Because that is what Minnesota law requires.....................nuff said about that.

I also don't understand that in order to establish residency for tuition you have to live somewhere for a year, but only get 3 months by the dmv standards.
                  Simply not true. Once you "establish residence" i.e. Rent an apartment/house or buy a residence.....you have legally established residence. The school may use different requirements for tuition but legal residence is established as noted above.

You are then violating state law in Minnesota. Be prepared to pay a very hefty penalty should you get caught.

I thought this was a free country to roam where you please regardless of what state your license says.
                  It is. As long as your vehicle is properly registered in the state of your residence and your DL shows your correct legal address.........................<see explanation above>
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

In Illinois, you have 60 days to secure Illinois regiatration, and 90 days to secure an Illinois driver's license.

Illinois vehicle code - 625 ILCS 5/6‑102
                    "A nonresident who becomes a resident of this State, may for a period of the first 90 days of residence in Illinois operate any motor vehicle which he was qualified or licensed to drive by his home state or country so long as he has in his possession, a valid and current license issued to him by his home state or country. Upon expiration of such 90 day period, such new resident must comply with the provisions of this Act and apply for an Illinois license or permit."

The same basic wording for the registration, but that's 60 days.

So......after 60 days, you could be cited for NO VALID REGISTRATION
                    after 90 days, you could be cited for NO VALID DRIVER'S LICENSE

I know the driver's license is pretty cheap, but the registration could run a couple hundred. Is it really worth the risk of being ticketed and costing you a whole lot more? Where I work it is a manditory tow and impoundment of the vehicle for anyone driving w/out a valid driver's license.......
                    sigpic

Comment

30, 60, 90 days are all a long time. Though you may think it is about money, you are wrong.

Lets put it this way. You are driving your car with MN plates and MN drivers license. You get into a crash, are unconscious, and taken to the hospital in serious condition. Who will law enforcement or the hospital contact? You have not lived at your MN address for 30 - 90 days.

Another example. A LEO stops your car, that god forbid has actually been stolen. Officer believes it is stolen, due to the kids he has there .. maybe he knows them, maybe story doesn't check out .. Well, he wants to contact you to see if it is indeed stolen. How will he get a hold of you, if you still have an old address?

You lose your wallet, someone finds it and turns it into law enforcement. You have a MN DL in there, how will they get a hold of you to return it?

I could go on and on...........

This is also a "Law Enforcement" forum. We enforce, not "Write" laws. You will want to talk to your representative in IL if you don't agree with IL laws. We just enforce what is given to us.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3479 users online. 196 members and 3283 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X