300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radar use restrictions

I know in SC that just about anyone in LE who's certified can use RADAR, however I've been curious as to other states. I know some like PA restrict them to State Police, and I'm wondering why this and other restrictions are in place on what seems to be such a valid enforcement tool. Same with LIDAR. Why restrict it to agency? I can understand the need for certification but not restricting it to an agency. If it's the issue of agency-specific training, couldn't they offer it to the other local agencies?

Thanks everyone and be safe!
    SCFC Dispatch Manager

In Alabama, any Peace Officer can use an authorized speed measuring device, provided he/she is certified in it's use. There are NO restrictions as to agency.

Comment

Same in Florida, its not restricted to any agency. In fact we hold Speed Measurement (it covers both RADAR and LASER) courses several tiems a year in several places throughout the state. They are talking about making it part of the basic law enforcement academy also.
      Police Academy Commander
      Lead Firearms Instructor
      35+ years as a cop
      Becoming a Police Officer
      So you think you can do this job?

I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

Comment

I am aware that in a few states I have worked there were no restrictions. Actually there were no standards in one state.

Comment

In California any L.E. can operate radar. We are required to have a 24 hour training course for radar and an additional 8 hours for LIDAR.

Comment

MN -

Radar; speed-measuring device; standards of evidence.

(a) In any prosecution in which the rate of speed of a motor vehicle is relevant, evidence of the speed as indicated on radar or other speed-measuring device is admissible in evidence, subject to the following conditions:

(1) the officer operating the device has sufficient training to properly operate the equipment;

(2) the officer testifies as to the manner in which the device was set up and operated;

(3) the device was operated with minimal distortion or interference from outside sources; and

(4) the device was tested by an accurate and reliable external mechanism, method, or system at the time it was set up.

(b) Records of tests made of such devices and kept in the regular course of operations of any law enforcement agency are admissible in evidence without further foundation as to the results of the tests. The records shall be available to a defendant upon demand. Nothing in this subdivision shall be construed to preclude or interfere with cross examination or impeachment of evidence of the rate of speed as indicated on the radar or speed-measuring device.

Comment

This has been discussed in other threads I'm almost certain.

In PA the way the law is written, only members of the PA State Troopers can use radar. This is how it has been since it was written and there may or may not be some muscle flexing as a result of this to keep it just for the troopers. It has been discussed over the years and the general thing people want to avoid is small town municipalities using radar to run speed traps for fund raising purposes. What the powers that be fail to realize is that the municipality gets half of the fine, so usually a whooping 12.50, hardly enough to pay for the cop on the road let alone turn a profit. Lets not even mention the fact that a speed trap can be conducted similarly with VASCAR, ENRADD, Robix, etc.

It is being discussed yet again to modify the law to allow municipalities to use RADAR. What seems to be the course it will take will be to only allow full time departments to use it and only full time officers.
              West Chester University B.S. Criminal Justice: May 2009
              Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009
              Full time Patrolman in Chester County, PA.

Comment

There is no sane, logical reason NOT to allow municipal officers in PA, full or part-time to use RADAR.
                Steve

Comment

even the boat cops in NH use radar lol

Comment

Originally posted by westin530 View Post
                    In California any L.E. can operate radar. We are required to have a 24 hour training course for radar and an additional 8 hours for LIDAR.
                    Actually part of you statement was wrong. Per 40802 VC, the ETS survey is good for 5 yrs for an officer using radar or lidar. If that officer went to the certified training, that survey is good for 7 yrs and can be extended to 10 yrs. So basically an officer could have received on the job training in radar and use it without the certified training. He just better use it on a street with a survey done within 5 yrs.

Almost forgot, if he uses it in an absolute speed zone (residential, uposted business dist, unguarded RR Xing or alley) the survey don't matter because they aren't required.
                    Last edited by Bully; 10-13-2010, 03:00 PM. Reason: additional info
                    God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve in PA View Post
                      There is no sane, logical reason NOT to allow municipal officers in PA, full or part-time to use RADAR.
                      I hear ya and I agree. Just stating the status quo for the latest. As a part time officer believe me I don't see any logical reasoning behind it.
                      West Chester University B.S. Criminal Justice: May 2009
                      Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009
                      Full time Patrolman in Chester County, PA.

Comment

In NC you have to complete and pass the 40 hour training course, then complete an additional 16 or so hours (depending on the device) of training while on duty.

Gotta love this state.

Comment

Also all roads have to be approved for radar use so that many backroads get overlooked and not enforced.
                          Last edited by ryker; 03-29-2012, 10:04 AM.
                          Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Roads need to be approved for radar use? Wow, that's nuts.
                            SCFC Dispatch Manager

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
                              In Georgia there is great restrictions.

-Only a state trooper can run radar/laser at speeds less than 10mph above the limit. Exception to the rule is school and work zones. So the typical mindset from drivers and cops is 0-10mph is OK. It teaches the youth that the speedlimit sign is just the starting point and they can add 10mph to it, so that when they are in a hurry they speed Above the 10mph above.

Also all roads have to be approved for radar use so that many backroads get overlooked and not enforced.
                              Thats crazy stuff. Wow.

In Florida its not restricted like that at all. I don't understand the reasoning behind that stuff, but I don't live in Ga. The NHTSA standards for RADAR and LASER speed measurement don't say anything about that stuff.

In Fl we have a 40 hour course, and exam that officers must pass, and they have to do road work using both RADAR & LASER, then they are certified to use RADAR?LASER. The 10 mile an hour thing is kind of interesting. No wonder vehicles with Ga tags seem to be driving pretty fast down here.
                              Police Academy Commander
                              Lead Firearms Instructor
                              35+ years as a cop
                              Becoming a Police Officer
                              So you think you can do this job?

I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3441 users online. 154 members and 3287 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X