Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much over the speed limit can you go without getting pulled over by radar gun???

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TGM View Post
    Don't forget... many vehicles display 2-4 off from actual speed. So.... if you decided to use your 4 mph "buffer" and think you won't get stopped... think again! If you go 4 over the speed limit thinking you are safe, and your speedo is only 2 mph off from actual speed - you are now going 6 over the limit, which will get you stopped in Wyoming. (Yes, we are that strict.... and no, we have nothing better to do)
    Any why are we that strict? Lets just say that it's 0230, I'm sitting in a crossover, and I haven't seen a vehicle besides a semi in 5 minutes. Just because you're getting stopped doesn't always mean a citation. I'm sure it gets even worse in Wyoming... Thankfully people from Chicago don't understand that and think they can still come over here, do 20 over, and get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by zhakkar View Post
      Any why are we that strict? Lets just say that it's 0230, I'm sitting in a crossover, and I haven't seen a vehicle besides a semi in 5 minutes. Just because you're getting stopped doesn't always mean a citation. I'm sure it gets even worse in Wyoming... Thankfully people from Chicago don't understand that and think they can still come over here, do 20 over, and get away with it.
      LOL I grew up in Iowa and this is completely true. The night officer in my home town would pull you over just because he was bored and trying to stay awake. Then he would walk up and just talk for a while. After he asked about your parents and made some conversation off you went. He would even admit he was stopping you because he had nothing better to do.

Comment

If i play Chippie on the highway, I dont stop for any less than 10 over and cite for less than 20 over. with exceptions
        Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
        Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

in the chicagoland area, most of the guys i work with wont stop until 15+ over on residential, i tend to go 11+ for myself. they wont stop on the higway until 80mph since its a 55mph limit. its because of the risks making stops on the highway here.
          Alex: You do what you are Jezzie.

Jezzie: You mean you are what you do.

Alex: No, I mean, you do what you are. You're born with a gift. If not that, then you get good at something along the way. And what you're good at, you don't take for granted. You don't betray it.

Jezzie: What if you do, betray your gift?

Alex: Then you betray yourself. That's a sad thing.

Comment

I prefer to use all factors and not the singular simple minded approach.

Which of these two vehicles are the most dangerous, damaging, and require the most stopping distance at xx mph over the limit?

Cell phone use
            Weight / size
            distance following
            weaving or frequent lane changes
            aggressive driving
            lighting or equipment violations
            Last edited by ryker; 08-01-2010, 09:18 AM.
            Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

The law says that 1mph over is speeding. Of course, I know of no cop who will stop you or cite for 1mph.

It varies by officer/deputy, department, shift, policy, attitude, traffic conditions, general "flow" of traffic, road design, time of day, etc., etc., etc. Just about every cop is going to give you a different answer.....and all of them will be correct for their beat or situation.

My general feeling was (and I have been a civilian for years now) that 12 mph over the limit in a 45-mph zone or less might cause a traffic stop. 15 mph over the limit in faster zones would be good reason to see blue lights behind you. School zones and "targeted enforcement areas" might call for less tolerance; and going 77 or even 78 mph on a 65-mph Interstate would hardly merit a glance from county deputies. The state troopers who worked in our county would love to have chatted with you for that velocity, however.

Just keep a light foot on the go pedal and one eye on your speedometer every few minutes and you'll be okay. Most folks generally go 5 to 10 mph over the limit in light traffic conditions, so stay in the slower end of that camp and keep your fingers crossed! Just don't be the car in front or leading the pack.....LOL!
              Last edited by VA Dutch; 08-01-2010, 02:40 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

The law says that 1mph over is speeding. Of course, I know of no cop who will stop you or cite for 1mph.
                DPS will

Comment

i say you can go over by 5 or so
                  sigpic

Fist Pumping Like Champs
                  GYM TAN LAUNDRY GTL
                  Greased Up Italian Dancing Out-of-control

GUIDO

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

It varies by officer/deputy, department, shift, policy, attitude, traffic conditions, general "flow" of traffic, road design, time of day, etc., etc., etc. Just about every cop is going to give you a different answer.....and all of them will be correct for their beat or situation.

My general feeling was (and I have been a civilian for years now) that 12 mph over the limit in a 45-mph zone or less might cause a traffic stop. 15 mph over the limit in faster zones would be good reason to see blue lights behind you. School zones and "targeted enforcement areas" might call for less tolerance; and going 77 or even 78 mph on a 65-mph Interstate would hardly merit a glance from county deputies. The state troopers who worked in our county would love to have chatted with you for that velocity, however.

Just keep a light foot on the go pedal and one eye on your speedometer every few minutes and you'll be okay. Most folks generally go 5 to 10 mph over the limit in light traffic conditions, so stay in the slower end of that camp and keep your fingers crossed! Just don't be the car in front or leading the pack.....LOL!
                    Come to where i live and there are 2 villages that will pull you over if you don't stay at 30
                    sigpic

Fist Pumping Like Champs
                    GYM TAN LAUNDRY GTL
                    Greased Up Italian Dancing Out-of-control

GUIDO

Comment

71's speeding...69's impeding.

Comment

Best option is DO NOT SPEED!!

State of Fla says 5mph or less no citation for speed. So that might be ok I guess. Good luck!!
                        Me in the Sunshine State

10-8store.com

"I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do. That is character!"

Comment

Yep, in case the OP doesn't know, the "victim" is the one the speeder plows into the rear end of.

Comment

It all depends on traffic and my mood. I've stopped for 5 over and have not stopped for 15 over. I've written tickets for 6 over and given warnings for 30 over.

By what the law states, 1 over is against the law.

Comment

Come to Australia, our radar speed cameras start taking photos at 7 kph (4 mph) over the limit less the +/- 3kph for operator error set up and policy.

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
                                Everyone else is afraid to answer your question, like there's some thin blue line of secrecy for the discretion we use for speeders. I'll man up and answer your question. Limit is 45 you say? As long as you keep it under 80 you should be fine. We get a little testy if you're doing double the speed limit, but anything under double is considered small fish.
                                please tell me this is a joke
                                Always remember the blue line

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7063 users online. 273 members and 6790 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X