300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• legal passing

First off,I'm a law abiding citizen for the most part. I'm also more honest than most people I've met in my life, so I'm going to be honest here. I always signal and come to a complete stop at lights and signs, even when turning right, and I stay right on the highway unless I'm passing, then move over when I'm clear. I do push my luck with speed limits, however.
    I realize that you guys (and girls!) are out there to enforce the laws, and I'm sure that many, if not most of you often have to enforce laws that you don't totally agree with. I'm hoping to get an honest answer to my question here. I'm asking your PERSONAL opinion, not the law.
    My question is, do you think that you should not exceed the speed limit when legaly passing a car? If I'm on a 45mph road and behind a car going 30mph, and I pass in a passing zone legally, I stomp on it and get by them ASAP to limit my exposure to oncoming traffic. If I hit 60mph doing it, so be it. I believe it the safe way to pass. Do most of you agree? How would you handle the above scenario if you witnessed it on duty? Obviously if you saw someone making a pass and they were doing 90 in a 45 your hand would be forced, but I'm talking more like 15-20mph over to make the pass, which I believe is common.
    Thanks.
    P.S. I just re-read what I wrote and realized it may not be prudent for you to say on an open forum that you think people shoould break the posted limit to pass, so if you could just answer the ticketing portion of the question, I would understand.

If you are in a 45 MPH zone and someone is going 30 in front of you, you should have no issues passing WITHOUT getting anywhere near 60.

Comment

If the pass is being made legally with good sight lines, your exposure to on-coming traffic is minimal to begin with.

Let me ask you this: Would you rather hit a surprise on-coming vehicle at 45 mph or 60 mph?
      Originally posted by kontemplerande
      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
        If the pass is being made legally with good sight lines, your exposure to on-coming traffic is minimal to begin with.

Let me ask you this: Would you rather hit a surprise on-coming vehicle at 45 mph or 60 mph?
        What I gave was just an example, but if I do decide to pass someone, I'll accelerate past them, and won't be staring at my speedometer. As to exposure, where I live the average passing zone straughtaway is probably 1/3 to 1/2 mile long, and seldom do you see a straightaway longer than 1 mile on the state roads I'm talking aboout around here. Using the numbers above, my exposure would be about double the time at 45 vs 60, and I would also have to cover about double the distance to make the pass. Any hidden oncoming traffic would also be twice as close as the lower speed. In addition, if we want to talk reality, that car would be doing at least 40-45mph by the time I was done making the pass. I guess that part is human nature because it seems to happen about 80% of the time. I can't count how many times I pulled left on the highway with the cruise on to go by a slower car, only to end up tucking back in behind because they sped up.
        As to your question, I would rather not hit an oncoming car at all. And I won't. I'm a skilled driver and am ultra aware of what's going on around me. I have almost a million miles under my belt in almost 30 years of driving and have yet to have an at fault accident.
        I would still like an honest answer to my question if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by rexracer View Post
          I would still like an honest answer to my question if possible.
          Yes, I would ticket you for being 15 mph over the speed limit in the oncoming lane of traffic.
          Originally posted by kontemplerande
          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I would also cite you for the 15 mph over the limit. Whether or not you realize it, you have recieved honest replies to your inquiry. It's quite possible you either disagree with, or don't like the replies, but please remember, YOU came to us with the question.

Comment

If the speed limit is 45 and the other car is going 30 there is no need to exceed the speed limit to pass them. In essence, if you are passing him at 45 you can cancel out his 30 mph. In other words, it would be like passing a stopped vehicle at 15 mph. Next time you're in a parking lot drive by a stopped car at 15 mph and see how long it takes you. No reason to accelerate to 60 just to pass someone going 30.

Comment

I always appreciate when you people here take the time to respond. I may have to talk to some local cops face to face to get an answer to my real question. The above scenario is pretty simplistic. I understand all the variables and a more realistic sample would be being stuck behind someone doing 35-40 on the straight, but slowing to 25 for every little bend, which drives me nuts. I don't like to needlessly use the brakes, or waste gas speeding and slowing. On the roads around here passing zones are few and far between. When I decide to pass the safest thing to do is complete it quickly and get back in my lane in my opinion. Most of the time the car I passed is doing a least 10mph faster than their fastest previous speed after I go by, and hugs my bumper for a while, then goes back to their previous pattern. Maybe you agree, maybe you don't. I'll do what I have to do to be safe, and I won't blame you for doing what you have to.
                I drive with safety in mind, always. For me, on most roads around here that's usually about 5mph over the limit by my speedo. It's a bit optomistic. In residential areas I'm often below the limit...Sometimes by 15mph. I can't understand how they figure these things around here. I drive roads with 35mph posted limits where everyone does 50 every day, yet over the hill is a residential neighborhood with a 30mph limit that has kids playing in yards, driveways and the road 9 months a year. I wouldn't do more than 15mph there on a slow day.

Thanks to those who replied, and feel free anyone who would like to chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                  I would also cite you for the 15 mph over the limit. Whether or not you realize it, you have recieved honest replies to your inquiry. It's quite possible you either disagree with, or don't like the replies, but please remember, YOU came to us with the question.

Sigh, guess you weren't happy with the answers and suspect some are holding back secretly agreeing with you

And next time you ask a question? Try asking it without stating you want an "honest" answer.

I don't know of one Cop on this Forum who will lie to you
                  "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

No disrespect intended. I would never accuse one of you of lieing. But I also expect many don't tell the whole truth, or are totally honest due to the public nature of this forum, which I understand. A good example is the thread about off-duty carry. Almost nobody answered the question, though many replied. So if I do suspect that some have read this thread and agree with me that it's safer when passing to get it done, rather that worry about going over the posted speed (Which is Prima Facie on these roads in CT I believe) please forgive me.

Comment

To the OP. Let's just look a simple fact in the eye, and agree you came to the forum with an agenda. Now, although your questions have been answered honestly, you're still not satisfied. Here's the reminder once more, as apparently you've missed it in the past. Posters do not get to dictate or set the conditions under which their questions are answered. We do that. Now, if you have your mind made up, and you seem to, that it's OK to exceed the posted speed limit when passing, you're going to do it. You'll probably exceed the posted limit by 10-15mph. You'll also probably get away with it a time or two. However, sooner or later you'll get nailed. That will happen one of two ways. You'll be stopped and cited, or the Police will arrive in time to scrape what's left of your vehicle, and you, off the road. While I honestly hope neither happens to you, your attitude really virtually assures one of them will.Oh, and if pleases you to believe that some of us agree with you privately, by all means do so. I don't happen to be one of them.

Comment

This is why I try to avoid Ask a Cop questions. There are almost 75,000 members of this forum. Yes, I'm sure you will be able to find SOMEONE on here that will agree with you Rex.

YES, we know you are a super safe driver. Yes, we know that you are a law abiding citizen. Yes, we know that you are the most honest person in the world and we also know that you always use your turn signals, and would probably have a heart attack if you ever accidently rolled through a stop sign. How do we know this? Because EVERYBODY we stop and everybody that wrecks tells us the same story.

The bottom line is that speed limits are like checking accounts. If you go over your limit you get penalized.

Comment

Originally posted by rexracer View Post
                          No disrespect intended. I would never accuse one of you of lieing. But I also expect many don't tell the whole truth, or are totally honest due to the public nature of this forum, which I understand. A good example is the thread about off-duty carry. Almost nobody answered the question, though many replied. So if I do suspect that some have read this thread and agree with me that it's safer when passing to get it done, rather that worry about going over the posted speed (Which is Prima Facie on these roads in CT I believe) please forgive me.
                          Discussing how we carry off-duty is completely different that going over the speed limit when passing. We don't discuss our methods of off-duty carry for the simple reason that we don't want the bad guys to know where we hide our guns. That's a very logical reason, IMO, so of course we're not going "to tell the whole truth." Hell, when people ask me face-to-face if I'm carrying I tell them "you'll just have to assume that I am." I'm not gonna say "oh yeah, right here! see look!" No way, nuh-uh, no how.

You might see that increasing your speed to get past them faster is safer, but you're not the one who sees the aftermath of a head-on collision, a car vs tree, a roll-over, a car vs deer, etc nearly as often as we do. Speed limits are there for a reason. As has been stated before... passing someone doing 30 in a 45 would be quick.

To directly answer your question: yes, I would cite you for going 60 in a 45.
                          sigpic

Comment

I will be totally honest with you. There are times when passing another vehicle is done a twenty miles per hours faster than the vehicle being passed. I would not stop and write a ticket unless: the roadway design is such that it is not safe to be driving that fast; there are intersections in the area which make the passing unsafe at that speed; there are curves ahead which will restrict safe passing; you are exceeding the State's Maximum Speed Limit (65/70 - whichever applies); you fail to follow good driving practices; you cross a double yellow line; or you pass in a no passing zone.

I am very familiar with the roads in MA, CT, VT and PA. Many are poorly marked and poorly signed. But, the laws of each state are adequately written to cover the majority of issues. Just remember, if you get a ticket, you may choose to plead not guilty and attempt to articulate, to the satisfaction of the court, why you think your act was safe.
                            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

In Mn you can legally exceed the 55mph speed limit by 10 mph to pass on a 2 lane road as long as you do it legally.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4916 users online. 275 members and 4641 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X