300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "No fixed address?"

I am going to be retiring in about a year, and my husband and I are considering a rather nomadic lifestyle. He is Canadian; we have a summer place in Canada, as well as family there. We are expecting to be living there half the year.

I do not want to live there year-round, and I don't like the idea of having the expense and responsibility of two places to live. We are currently thinking of using the winter months to do some traveling in the US, where my family lives. We're thinking about getting a travel trailer, since that would be more affordable than trying to stay in motels. Maybe in a few years, when we have given the travel bug a chance to exercise itself, we'll decide we're ready to settle down someplace, and perhaps by that time we'll have an idea of where we'd like to do that.

In the meantime, I'm having a hard time getting my head around not having a fixed address in the States except perhaps a PO Box somewhere. All sorts of questions come to me, like: Can I keep my NY driver's license? Can my car continue to be registered in NY, as it is now? If we cut back to having just one car, it would be his truck, which is registered in Canada-- could we register the trailer in the US, where we would be using it the most?

I am not even sure where to go for information. I'm asking here because some of my questions are car-related, and maybe y'all have run into things like this before, dealing with licensing and registration. I know when people move to a new state, they have a certain amount of time to get a driver's license from that state-- but what happens if they keep moving, and don't settle down?

I have other questions as well, like what about registration for voting? Will a PO Box suffice for an address? I'll try the Board of Elections for those answers.

I would very much appreciate any guidance you can give me-- information sources, what sorts of laws or regulations we'd better keep in mind, whatever.

After all, if we're going to become trailer trash, we want to do it right!
    We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
    but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

In most states a physical address is required. A PO is just that a box for your mail. Even the most rural places have addresses. At some point your drive way is going to come off private land and intersect a public road and that's how an address will be determined.

Somebody with a bunch of PO boxes (whether their allowed or not) is going to raise questions to me and drive me to make further inquirers.

One thing sure as hell a PO Box is not allowed on is your passport which you will need if you plan to visit Canada/US.
    Last edited by wirefire2; 06-25-2010, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Chaplain... there are many mail forwarding services out there as far as gettting one address. Do a google search for Full Time RVing to find some...

As far as DLs, Vehicle Registration, and being able to vote, I'd encourage you to check with the appropiate authorities in New York... of course for a lower cost of living, check into some of our rules in Texas (DLs are thru the Texas Department of Public Safety http://www.txdps.state.tx.us MVR is the Texas DMV http://www.txdmv.gov and Election Rules are Texas Sec. of State http://www.sos.state.tx.us )
      sigpic
      Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

My in-laws were full-time RV'ers for a couple of years. Mail was forwarded by their service.

Their registration was from an RV-friendly (read as cheaper) state other than California.
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

I have a cousin who used to be a long-distance truck driver. His "home" was the sleeper berth of his tractor - which was about as big as some apartments. LOL!

He used his mother's residence as his "fixed" address for several years, even though he was almost never there aside from Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I suppose there is some legal way to register an RV as a "house car" or something like that. Many others certainly have done such a thing before. Good luck!!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

My grandparents started doing this long ago when my grandfather first retired. They spend the spring and fall with grandkids, summer in the mts in Colorado, and winters in Arizona by themselves. They eventually sold the trailers and are spending time in the houses of the kids and grandkids. I believe the address they use and license/registration they get is in Nebraska where my aunt lives and then she forwards it to their current or next location. They enjoy it so much I dont see them settling down anytime soon.
            What Is A Veteran?
            A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses, folks, and for the links!

Passports are indeed another issue we'll need to consider. We have them, of course, since we've been going back and forth for years, now, but we'll have to figure out what happens when I lose this address.

I guess I need to find out about Canadian law, too, for the 6 months of the year I'll be on that side of the border. Up to now, I've simply been a visitor, but maybe that changes if you are there for months at a time. Google "dual citizenship" sometime if you want to get confused!

I'll do some more poking around.

Comment

Do a search on "RV Fulltiming".

Comment

Will do-- thanks.

Comment

Wow, I hit the motherlode!

I googled "RV fulltiming" and came up with a whole bunch of sites.

One led me to an RV bookstore and I just ordered a pile of books that sound like they will guide us through this maze:
                    "Choosing your RV home base"
                    "RV Boondocking basics"
                    "An Introduction to Full-Time RVing"
                    "America's best Low-Tax Retirement Towns"
                    "2010 Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the 50 States"

I KNEW someone here would be able to steer me in the right direction! Thank you, guys!

Comment

[I guess I need to find out about Canadian law, too, for the 6 months of the year I'll be on that side of the border. Up to now, I've simply been a visitor, but maybe that changes if you are there for months at a time. Google "dual citizenship" sometime if you want to get confused!

Here in BC, you can tour on vacation for a max of 6 months, using your home DL and regsitration...however if you set up camp in an RV park & start getting mail etc there, you are now "ordnarily resident" and have become a resident and will need local DL, vehicle registration etc. In addition to your Dl I would also be talking to my insurance company to see if they will cover you up here as well. Better to know before you need coverage they will not honour ( that's the Cdn spelling) here.

Comment

Thanks, Dudley-- and you are certainly correct that insurance is one of the headaches we have to figure out. He's on Ontario's health plan, at least for the months he's in Canada, and when he's here in the US he and I are (presently) on a plan through my work in the States. Of course, all that is changing here anyway, and then also changing for me because of retirement.

It is all very confusing-- but then, perhaps I am easily confused!

Comment

Good luck in your retirement...since I retired I'm working twice as hard for 1/3 the money.

Comment

Yup, that's what all my retired friends tell me!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10520 users online. 495 members and 10025 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X