300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic light sensors & running the light

I have a question about a scenario that I encounter occasionally on my way home.

This one particular traffic light has sensors in the ground that change the light when a vehicle pulls up to the intersection. Even though there is a white stripe painted on the ground, some drivers will stop several feet back from the stripe and the light will stay red.

Now if it is a time of day when there is little to no traffic around and I am stuck behind one of those drivers, then what? In the past, I have pulled along side a driver (there is no sensor on the right part of the road) and tried to wave them forward. Some do it, some don't, and all of them probably have no idea why I'm waving them forward.

What is a cop's viewpoint on the situation if I were to proceed through the red light when the lead car will not pull up to trigger the sensor?

Thanks for your input.

make sure there is no cop around when you do it.
    "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
    The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
    sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
    Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

The sensors, of which you speak, are not embedded at the white line. They are on the approach to the white line. The white line is called a "Limit Line" and is placed there to stop vehicles, when necessary, prior to entering the intersection. If there is an issue with the sensor, you need to contact your nearest agency and advise them of the issue. BTW, making a right turn on a red is now legal in most states unless there is a sign posted to restrict such movement. Make the right turn, go down the street, execute a legal "U" turn and go back to your intended course of travel.

Running the light may result in an action that you are not desirous of happening.
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

make sure there is no cop around when you do it.
        We all know that just because you don't see a cop doesn't mean there's not one around

IMO the white lines are painted too far back to begin with, but I think it's because it's an industrial area where a lot of trucks turn and they don't want your nose out in the intersection.

I agree that the appropriate agency should be notified, especially because the line on one of the sides of that intersection (ironically it's the side that trucks don't turn toward) is so far back that your front wheel needs to contact the line to trigger the sensor. I will see if I can find the proper contact info for that area and let someone know.

Thanks guys!

Comment

The sensors embedded in the pavement are magnetic and generally extend a car length and a half to two carlengths bacl from the limit line. So a car within that area will trip the sensor. Even if the lead car is too far back from the sensor to be detected the lights will eventually cycle to prevent the traffic signal from being "printed". Traffic signaals aren't entirely dependant on the sensors. They are a combination of sensors and timers.

The limit lines are determined by traffin and engineering studies to facilitate the safest way to move traffic rapidly through an intersection. Just because trucks and busses don't commonly turn in a certain direction doesn't mean that no trucks and busses don't use that roadway.
          When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

What the Sgt. said....Make a right at the light, then turn around somewhere and wave at the dummy sitting at the light.
            I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it

"But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet
            it" - Thucydides

sigpic

Comment

or you can get one of this

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/...NAL/?id=116692

------------------------------------------------------
              The C.O song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xP3strmDw

Comment

Invest in a push bumper. Then just pull up right behind em and gun it thus pushing the person up to the sensor, yeah that should work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZhmZxPWni0
                Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckW View Post
                  We all know that just because you don't see a cop doesn't mean there's not one around

IMO the white lines are painted too far back to begin with, but I think it's because it's an industrial area where a lot of trucks turn and they don't want your nose out in the intersection.
                  Hmmm...maybe that's why YOU don't plan intersections. That's why WE spend time writing tickets for people who fail to stop behind the limit line because in your opinion the lines are painted too far back to begin with..

Comment

Those "white lines" have to be back a bit - as mentioned - because of large trucks (i.e., big rigs) having to swing wide when they make a right turn. Most drivers who are at least halfway conscious should realize this.....but many do not.

On many roads, it is easy to see where the "sensor loop" is buried under the pavement - and you can be sure that your car is over top of or at least near it so that the light will change. Some intersections instead have a device that looks like a camera mounted next to or even above the traffic signal. Ah, the joys of technology!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Hmmm...maybe that's why YOU don't plan intersections. That's why WE spend time writing tickets for people who fail to stop behind the limit line because in your opinion the lines are painted too far back to begin with..
                      It's more than just an opinion. On the side I spoke of (ironically the side that semis do not turn on) the line for a fact IS painted too far back. If you stop at this line the light will not change. The sensor doesn't trip until you roll your tires over the line as I have learned by experimentation.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4973 users online. 336 members and 4637 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X