300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIOT Question

First of all, I understand that this is only my half of the story and so thank you for your replies.

Basically, I was ticketed by an officer tonight for not wearing a seatbelt (even though both my passenger and I was.) So here's the story:

I was helping out at a haunted house that we were doing on campus, it was 10:50 pm when all this happened. We were driving down University Ave doing 37 in a 35 in the left lane when the officer was pulling out of a gas station and pulled behind the chevy suburban that was to my right in the other lane. We continued for another 2.3 miles and it was only when I turned into a parking lot to get some food did the officer turn on his lights.

Basically, somehow the officer could see at 10:50 at night, into a darkened moving mustang with an all black interior, with 2 passengers wearing all black, from across another lane with another vechicle between us and somehow make out that "we were not wearing out seatbelts." (which, I was... ever since I was in a wreck at age 13 I never even start the car without my seatbelt on)

So, I guess my question is, what's the best way about going dealing with this? I mean, a judge isn't going to take my word over a police officers.
    Last edited by Sir_Gaius2005; 10-30-2009, 12:15 PM.
    "Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it;those who fail to learn history correctly -- why, they are simply doomed."

"You can't outrun Death forever... but you can make the Bastard work for it."

Originally posted by Sir_Gaius2005 View Post
    First of all, I understand that this is only my half of the story and so thank you for your replies.

Basically, I was ticketed by an officer tonight for not wearing a seatbelt (even though both my passenger and I was.) So here's the story:

I was helping out at a haunted house that we were doing on campus, it was 10:50 pm when all this happened. We were driving down University Ave doing 37 in a 35 in the left lane when the officer was pulling out of a gas station and pulled behind the chevy suburban that was to my right in the other lane. We continued for another 2.3 miles and it was only when I turned into a parking lot to get some food did the officer turn on his lights.

Basically, somehow the officer could see at 10:50 at night, into a darkened moving mustang with an all black interior, with 2 passengers wearing all black, from across another lane with another vechicle between us and somehow make out that we were not wearing out seatbelts. (which, I was... ever since I was in a wreck at age 13 I never even start the car without my seatbelt on)

So, I guess my question is, what's the best way about going dealing with this? I mean, a judge isn't going to take my word over a police officers.
    You answered your own question. Legal advice is not available in these forums! Did you read the TOS?
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Basically, somehow the officer could see at 10:50 at night, into a darkened moving mustang with an all black interior, with 2 passengers wearing all black, from across another lane with another vechicle between us and somehow make out that we were not wearing out seatbelts.
      Visual acuity is in our job description..!!
      "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

You have the right to fight the ticket in a fair trial. What is the worst that could happen, a $100 fine (or less) and zero points?
        I have the heart of a child..................................No really, it is in a jar on my desk.

Comment

Alright, thanks... I went and talked to the local judge today and he dismissed it (when even in broad daylight standing next to my car he couldn't tell whether or not my seatbelt was on/off, I'll just have to add some reflective stuff I guess for the next time).

I just was p.o.'d over the fact that I might have to pay fines for something that I didn't do in the first place. I mean I understand that the guy thought he was doing his job and all, but still.

Also, SgtCHP, I wasn't asking for legal advice, if I wanted that I would ask my father/any of the other lawyers in my family/any of the lawyers my family has on salary for our businessess.... it's not about getting out of a ticket, it's about honor. I've had a few tickets and I gladly paid them out of my own pocket with no fuss, because I deserved them... this I did not deserve and was an affront to my honor and the officer saying that I was lieing when I was not. I simply wanted to rectify the situation quickly and easily because the officer was in the wrong. I understand that 99.99% of the time that that is not the case;however, this was that 0.01% of the time.
          Last edited by Sir_Gaius2005; 10-30-2009, 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling
          "Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it;those who fail to learn history correctly -- why, they are simply doomed."

"You can't outrun Death forever... but you can make the Bastard work for it."

Comment

You'd be surprised what I can see at night.

Comment

Alright, thanks... I went and talked to the local judge today and he dismissed it (when even in broad daylight standing next to my car he couldn't tell whether or not my seatbelt was on/off, I'll just have to add some reflective stuff I guess for the next time).

I just was p.o.'d over the fact that I might have to pay fines for something that I didn't do in the first place. I mean I understand that the guy thought he was doing his job and all, but still.

Also, SgtCHP, I wasn't asking for legal advice, if I wanted that I would ask my father/any of the other lawyers in my family/any of the lawyers my family has on salary for our businessess.... it's not about getting out of a ticket, it's about honor. I've had a few tickets and I gladly paid them out of my own pocket with no fuss, because I deserved them... this I did not deserve and was an affront to my honor and the officer saying that I was lieing when I was not. I simply wanted to rectify the situation quickly and easily because the officer was in the wrong. I understand that 99.99% of the time that that is not the case;however, this was that 0.01% of the time.
              So, what's your point? You beat the rap..,.whoopie!! Now you want to share that great news with us. OK, here's a news flash for you. Yogi Berra said it best. "Ya win a few, ya lose a few, some get called on account of rain".Stated another way, yeah, we lose a few, so what? Thank you as well, for regaling us with the vast amount of legal talent at your disposal. Drive safely, and don't forget to fasten your seatbelt.

Comment

Perception, I'm sure the officer's first observation he did not see a seatbelt in place. By the time he gets you stopped you have your seatbelt on. Of course the officers is going to go off of his first obs ansd not what you tell him.

Because nobody ever lies to the police and everybody wears their seatbelt.

And there me may have been other factors you did not disclose. My college roommate got stopped by a motor for speed, he asked the officer for a break, the officer cited him for no seatbelt, which he was wearing, and gave him a warning for the speed.

Humm, no seatbelt ticket, slap on the fingers don't do it again. Or $150 fine, traffic school... You think he was going to whine about the ticket, nope.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3187 users online. 157 members and 3030 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X