Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple Traffic Law Questions

Hey guys,
    I have a few quick questions for you. Since you guys are the ones that enforce the law I figure it would be best to check with you on the technicalities on it.

I'm planning on going to Florida in August for college. I live in Texas now.

My first question is: Do I need to get a Florida drivers license since I will be living there for around 2 years while I get my bachelors degree, then I will probably move there permanently?

My next question: Do I need to register my car in Florida and get Florida plates?

My final question: If I don't have to change my plates can I take my front Texas plate off of my car? I've read in multiple places that it is legal to not use a front plate in Florida and I hate the way it looks on my car but since I am from another state and if I had different plates I do not know if that law would apply to me.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by WDC; 10-22-2009, 06:00 PM.

Why don't I google that for you?

Title XXIII MOTOR VEHICLES
    Chapter 322 DRIVERS' LICENSES
    322.031 Nonresident; when license required.--

(1) In every case in which a nonresident, except a nonresident migrant or seasonal farm worker as defined in s. 316.003(61), accepts employment or engages in any trade, profession, or occupation in this state or enters his or her children to be educated in the public schools of this state, such nonresident shall, within 30 days after the commencement of such employment or education, be required to obtain a Florida driver's license if such nonresident operates a motor vehicle on the highways of this state. The spouse or dependent child of such nonresident shall also be required to obtain a Florida driver's license within that 30-day period prior to operating a motor vehicle on the highways of this state.

(2) A member of the United States Armed Forces on active duty in this state shall not be required to obtain a Florida driver's license under this section solely because he or she enters his or her children to be educated in the public schools of this state if he or she has a valid military driving permit or a valid driver's license issued by another state.

(3) A nonresident who is domiciled in another state and who commutes into this state in order to work shall not be required to obtain a Florida driver's license under this section solely because he or she has accepted employment or engages in any trade, profession, or occupation in this state if he or she has a valid driver's license issued by another state. Further, any person who is enrolled as a student in a college or university and who is a nonresident but is in this state for a period of up to 6 months engaged in a work-study program for which academic credits are earned from a college whose credits or degrees are accepted for credit by at least three accredited institutions of higher learning, as defined in s. 1005.02, shall not be required to obtain a Florida driver's license for the duration of the work-study program if such person has a valid driver's license issued by another state. Any nonresident who is enrolled as a full-time student in any such institution of higher learning is also exempt from the requirement of obtaining a Florida driver's license for the duration of such enrollment.

(4) A nonresident who is at least 21 years of age and who has in his or her immediate possession a valid commercial driver's license issued in substantial compliance with the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 may operate a motor vehicle of the type permitted by his or her license to be operated in this state.

History.--s. 1, ch. 73-238; s. 6, ch. 75-228; s. 4, ch. 78-394; s. 1, ch. 79-117; s. 3, ch. 82-112; s. 18, ch. 83-218; s. 35, ch. 89-282; s. 29, ch. 91-221; s. 394, ch. 95-148; s. 7, ch. 97-218; s. 967, ch. 2002-387; s. 6, ch. 2006-81.

Last modified: November 21, 2006
    Additionally, if your state, Texas, issues TWO plates, and they do, you MUST display both plates on the vehicle as required by Texas law.

Title XXIII MOTOR VEHICLES
    Chapter 320 MOTOR VEHICLE LICENSES
    320.38 When nonresident exemption not allowed.--The provisions of s. 320.37 authorizing the operation of motor vehicles over the roads of this state by nonresidents of this state when such vehicles are duly registered or licensed under the laws of some other state or foreign country do not apply to any nonresident who accepts employment or engages in any trade, profession, or occupation in this state, except a nonresident migrant or seasonal farm worker as defined in s. 316.003(61). In every case in which a nonresident, except a nonresident migrant or seasonal farm worker as defined in s. 316.003(61), accepts employment or engages in any trade, profession, or occupation in this state or enters his or her children to be educated in the public schools of this state, such nonresident shall, within 10 days after the commencement of such employment or education, register his or her motor vehicles in this state if such motor vehicles are proposed to be operated on the roads of this state. Any person who is enrolled as a student in a college or university and who is a nonresident but who is in this state for a period of up to 6 months engaged in a work-study program for which academic credits are earned from a college whose credits or degrees are accepted for credit by at least three accredited institutions of higher learning, as defined in s. 1005.02, is not required to have a Florida registration for the duration of the work-study program if the person's vehicle is properly registered in another jurisdiction. Any nonresident who is enrolled as a full-time student in such institution of higher learning is also exempt for the duration of such enrollment.

History.--s. 6, ch. 7275, 1917; s. 1, ch. 7737, 1918; RGS 1011; s. 5, ch. 8410, 1921; s. 3, ch. 10182, 1925; CGL 1285; s. 3, ch. 15625, 1931; s. 3, ch. 16085, 1933; s. 1, ch. 19252, 1939; s. 1, ch. 69-153; s. 1, ch. 69-156; s. 2, ch. 82-112; s. 51, ch. 83-318; s. 28, ch. 91-221; s. 363, ch. 95-148; s. 6, ch. 97-218; s. 966, ch. 2002-387; s. 5, ch. 2006-81.

Last modified: November 21, 2006
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

You don't have to get a Florida plate or Florida license if you're a student, however if you're staying in Florida after you graduate you'll have to get them both done within 30 days of graduation, so you might as well get it done now.

If you keep your Texas plates, you have to have a front plate. Texas is one of the few states where I know for sure that two plates are required, and I have stopped cars from Texas with only a rear plate.

What school? If you say anything besides UCF, please stay in Texas.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2075 users online. 141 members and 1934 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X