300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Traffic Stop

When you make a stop do you always ask for License, Registration and Insurance? Other paperwork?

I have been stopped 3 times in my 15 years of driving, and I dont remember ever having to show my registration.

Yes I always do. Unless factors chage the dynamic of the traffic stop.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

I don't ask for registration too often because it's verified when I run your plate. It's illegal not to have it in your vehicle, but I'm more interested in your insurance and license. Normally when I ask for all documents I'm looking into other things (signs of impairment, etc).
      I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Yep I always do too.
        sigpic
        Formerly Username k91376
        " They Took the BAR!! The whole F%$#ING BAR! "

Comment

I concur with SGTSCOTT, We already verified the validity of the plate prior to initiating the traffic stop. It is a violation not to have the registration, but its minor. I will ask for it pretextually, looking for driver impairment or concealed items. My primary objective for a stop is either to promote public safety on the road or to identify criminal activity, having the registration card in the vehicle is the least of my concerns.
          Last edited by Re-Birth; 10-02-2009, 11:29 AM. Reason: typo
          Never ask a man if he served in the Marine Corps! If he earned the title "Marine" he will tell you, if he didn't, there is no need to embarrass him.

Comment

Driver's license, proof of liability insurance. I verify registration when I run the tag, although Alabama requires the Tag Reciept, or copy thereof, be carried. That can be on the Driver's person, or kept in the vehicle.

Comment

About 70% of my stops go like this.

Hi, Mr/Mrs. So and So (they look at me funny for knowing their name, I use it as a way to verify I have the registered owner stopped)

Hey, Mr/Mrs. So and So, what's up with your drivers license?

Then they think about what they are going to say, squirm a bit and say all damn its suspended.

Thank You, DWLS - Knowingly.

Haha. I run lots of tags looking for suspended licenses. I do ask for all three on standard stops, but once they hand me the registration I just give it back and say thanks. Most my stops are pretextual in nature.

Comment

Since most of the responses seem to have the "same" reasing behind them (driver impairment, etc), how often would you say you stop speeders just on the hopes of finding something more severe? Are these the stops that mainly get warnings when everything checks out ok? I guess I just really asking why do you pull someone over for speeding and then just give a warning? (I do appreciate the warnings though)

Comment

Originally posted by trele6 View Post
                  Since most of the responses seem to have the "same" reasing behind them (driver impairment, etc), how often would you say you stop speeders just on the hopes of finding something more severe? Are these the stops that mainly get warnings when everything checks out ok? I guess I just really asking why do you pull someone over for speeding and then just give a warning? (I do appreciate the warnings though)
                  For education. I'll give a warning if I think the warning will stop them from speeding. Usually I don't think it will (based on traffic history), and they get tickets.

Comment

Not everyone deserves a ticket. It is also a good way to check for warrants, drugs, etc.

Comment

In Texas the registration comes back with the running of the plate and is on the front windshield. So I just need to ask for DL and insurance.

Comment

Last edited by fordman318; 03-28-2010, 11:46 PM.

Comment

I usually just ask for DL to begin with.... If the car doesn't come back as registered to them, I'll ask for registration. Most people try to hand me license, registration and insurance card all at one time. the computer will tell me if your insurance is valid or not, and although you are supposed to carry the insurance card with you, I don't ask for it unless you've been in an accident.

Comment

I always ask for all three.

Comment

I usually don't ask for the registration unless there is a problem with it. If the person driving the car is not the registered owner I want to know if they know who the owner is without looking at it.
                              Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4857 users online. 297 members and 4560 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X