300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDL medical card

Must i maintain my medical card for my cdl even though I will never ever ever in a million billion years drive another rig again? I plan on dropping the CDL in 2012 when it is time to renew.My card is good till 2010 and I don't think the PD will pay for the physical

Not in CA. If you are not driving a commercial vehicle for hire you do not need a medical certificate. Why not take the trip to DMV now and have your status changed? It is not that big of a hassle. In the interim, if you should get stopped explain that you are no longer in the occupation and are in the process. There should not be any troubles.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I had a class B license before. I didn't take the medical and changed my license back to a C. I found out later I didn't need to do that. I could have kept it a class B, but it would not be valid as a class B unless I had a valid medical exam and card. So It still worked as a class C. If I wanted to drive a class B again, all I would need to do is get the exam.

Comment

CDL, Medical Card, etc.

Wouldn't it be better just to keep your CDL - even without a medical card? You won't be needing the medical card unless you are operating a commercial vehicle, but why not maintain your valid CDL (be it a Class A or B) indefinitely? If you ever wanted to drive again, the employer would pay for you to go get a DOT physical & the medical card.

You never know which way the winds will blow or what you will want to do as a career years from now. Sure, LE may be what you want to do now, but your mind may change down the road. You may also want to earn a few bucks on the side as a 'casual' driver during some of your days off as a cop.

If it only costs a few bucks a year, I would recommend keeping the CDL active - especially if you have any endorsements. That is a lot easier than having to the test(s) over again in the future if you ever want to go back to driving for a living.

Just my opinion....which is worth exactly what you paid for it.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I have been holding my CDL, and have not driven trucks since September 1997. Keep the CDL, as you never know whether or not it may come in handy in the future. I keep mine as an "insurance" policy in case I find myself in the situation where I do have to drive again. As I am looking at making another career change early next year, in my case it may just end up being an asset, depending on which job I end up getting.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4808 users online. 292 members and 4516 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X