ROW for lane change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROW for lane change

Imagine two cars are on the same 3-lane freeway, one in the far left lane and the other in the far right lane. They both change lanes to the middle lane at the same time and collide. Tickets go to...?

1) Both, because niether has right of way, and they both failed to complete the lane change safely.

2) The leftmost car only, as he failed to give way to the right.

3) The rightmost car only, because of some law that I don't know about.

4) Neither. Let the insurance sort it out. They'll both probably lie and say they were fully in the lane before the other guy hit them.

Uh Uh........I can't imagine it. You want to post what really happened? Or is this all pretend?
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

I vote both of them. I have been in that position and if you are paying attention it won't happen.

Comment

I've worked this plenty of times. Neither. That's why they have insurance.....I imagine

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
          Uh Uh........I can't imagine it. You want to post what really happened? Or is this all pretend?
          What really happened is I tried to change lanes from the rightmost lane to the center lane and realized that the car in the leftmost lane was changing into the center lane also. I returned to my lane. I was just wondering if there was any stated ROW in the situation.

Comment

Neither has the obligation to yield to the other individually; but, both have the obligation to be aware of the other collectively. There would be no alarming evidence to show which of the two vehicles occupied the center lane legally so the option goes to the insurance companies to figure it out. If a collision happened the primary collision factor would show both parties sharing the same violation - unsafe movement.
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Just drive defensively and LOOK prior to changing lanes and you won't have to worry about this circumstance.
              "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

If the evidence and witnesses indicate that both cars changed lanes at the same time, I would not write a ticket at all. That is why you carry insurance.
                I have the heart of a child..................................No really, it is in a jar on my desk.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyirishman View Post
                  Just drive defensively and LOOK prior to changing lanes and you won't have to worry about this circumstance.
                  I did drive defensively... I avoided the accident. I changed lanes after signalling for about 4 seconds, and it took me 3 or 4 seconds to complete the slow lane change. After I had all 4 wheels inside the lane (but was not yet in the center) the car to my left made an unsignalled panic lane change to avoid slower traffic ahead of him. I saw his front wheel cross the line and I went halfway back to my prior lane as he sped away, before completing my lane change.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnG View Post
                    After I had all 4 wheels inside the lane (but was not yet in the center) the car to my left made an unsignalled panic lane change to avoid slower traffic ahead of him. I saw his front wheel cross the line and I went halfway back to my prior lane as he sped away, before completing my lane change.

You must have been on I-66 or I-95 in Virginia. This offense is very common, and it is nothing short of a miracle that there are not many more crashes than we already have.

I cannot tell you how many "near misses" I have had because of idiots like that. They just zip over - no signal or warning - and they'll blow the horn at you because you are not psychic for knowing what their next move will be.

This is one reason why directional signals are so important! Get everyone to signal their intentions and drive in the proper lane -- and our commute would be safer and less stressful.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

You just described the crash we were in on the Eisenhower Expwy in Chicago years ago. No tickets issued- the insurance companies duked it out.
                      ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

That, my friend, is one of 424,482 reasons why passing on the right should be prohibited in the state of Ohio. At the same time your screwed as the morons in the hammer lane can't figure out to get the hell out of the way!

Comment

In Texas the following would determine ROW.

§ 545.061.Â* DRIVING ON MULTIPLE-LANE ROADWAY.Â*
                          Â*
                          On a roadway divided into three or more lanes and providing for one-way movement of traffic, an operator entering a lane of traffic from a lane to the right shall yield the right-of-way to a vehicle entering the same lane of traffic from a lane to the left.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*

Comment

Originally posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
                            In Texas the following would determine ROW.

§ 545.061.�* DRIVING ON MULTIPLE-LANE ROADWAY.�*
                            �*
                            On a roadway divided into three or more lanes and providing for one-way movement of traffic, an operator entering a lane of traffic from a lane to the right shall yield the right-of-way to a vehicle entering the same lane of traffic from a lane to the left.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.�*�*�*�*�*�*�*�*�*�*�*ï ¿½*�*�*�*�*�*�*�*
                            So if the case I described (6 posts above) happened in TX, then I'd be blamed if that had resulted in a collision? Unless I could prove I was fully in the lane?

At what point do I have possession of the lane? All 4 wheels inside the white lines? When I reach the center of the lane?

Comment

Well you didn't say what car you were. But the answer would be #3. You are to have control of the lane when you move into it. However you said theY both move in at the same time. I work plenty of accidents like this and each time everyone claims they were in the lane first. Unless an officer or independt witness says otherwise more often then not both parties get cited. Afterall if i'm working an accident everyone who can is getting a ticket.
                              Last edited by Semper Fidelis; 07-12-2009, 12:17 PM. Reason: Fixed

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5528 users online. 206 members and 5322 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X