Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STICKY - If you have a question about a ticket...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STICKY - If you have a question about a ticket...

You have somehow stumbled onto a law enforcement forum. Just as hearing your excuses out on the street as to why you should not get a ticket, or why you "didn't really do it," or that "everybody does it" annoys us on the street, it is equally annoying here.

So before you start a thread asking how you can beat a ticket, please read on:

1. You were given a ticket and you have the right to go to court and have your case heard before a judge or magistrate. Despite what you might think, the judge will listen to your evidence and determine if you violated the law or not.

2. The judge, much like the officer that gave you the ticket, does not want to hear your excuses for why you did it. The only valid excuses in most jurisdictions is to move for an emergency vehicle or to prevent an accident. (NOTE: If you were speeding and ran a stop sign to avoid an accident - don't bother.)

3. This forum is frequented by law enforcement officers. Before you post your story in "Ask a cop" remember that like the officer that gave you the ticket, we give tickets too. WE DO NOT PROVIDE ADVICE ON HOW TO BEAT A TICKET! If you came here looking for that, I suggest you try a different forum.

In short, there will be variations in the answers you get, many of which will annoy you and lead to a flame war, subsequent locking of the thread and you being banned. You answer will include some, if not all, of these lines:

"Go to court and make your case."
    "We do not give advice on how to beat a ticket."
    "Hire an attorney."
    "You just admitted to the violation"
    "That is not a valid excuse."
    "Yes LIDAR/RADAR is accurate."
    "No you can't see the display."
    "No you can't see my certification."
    And most frequently, "You're wrong."

You should read this entire thread before posting, as I am sure many of my esteemed colleagues will have something to add. If you decide to post after that, you have been warned.

Have a nice day!
    "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
    sigpic

I've only been doing this full time for a few months now, but one piece of advice that I have during a traffic stop is DO NOT hand me some gimmick "get out of jail/traffic stop card"!! I had a gentleman do that the other night, all it did was change my decision as to whether or not he was getting a ticket or a warning..LOL

Comment

Great picture, with great advice... Thanks

Comment

I might have something of value to add.

IF you decide to plead your case here, we will NOT under 99% of the circumstances admit that the officer that issued you YOUR ticket say he messed up and did that intentionally.
        99.44/100th% of the time, an officer sees a violation and acts on it. Plain and simple. We can not say based on what YOU describe here is 100% accurate, most of us have some time on the job. Me, I'm in my 14th year.
        I've learned that there are 2 sides to every story and the officer is not here to tell his side, that's what court is for.

Basically you can bi#$% and moan about it but we aren't going to say "Yep, you're right, the officer issued a bad ticket."
        We will almost always say that same thing and that was posted in the original post. Take a hearing.

Oh and forget trying to prove your points about how it's a revenue generating thing, its not. Far from it.

Quick example-
        I issue a red light violation. Total cost as written $109.50. Fine itself is only $25.00
        IF and only IF the judge says "I find the defendant guilty as written" then and only then does the department {town, city, state} get any money. In the great state of PA, the issuing department gets HALF, yeah 50% of the fine. So if I was on duty at the time of the hearing, the town gets a whopping $12.50
        IF I was off duty, then the town still gets $12.50 but paid me either 2,3 or 4 hours OT.
        The only time this could be considered money making is if the person is guilty of an actual speeding ticket, as the issueing department then gets 100% of the fine and they can be upwards of $90.00

I might add more as I see fit.

"Take a hearing and plead guilty"
        I got nothing for now

Comment

Don't tell us the cop was a jerk or rude.

His demeanor, even if you are telling the truth, doesn't matter.

I don't write many tickets. When I do, they are done in response to an egregious violation or a driver that is rude or a jerk.

I will only assume that you meet one of these three criteria.

When I am paid to be concerned, kind, friendly, gentle, etc, then I will show concern for a rude officer.

FYI, I am paid to solve problems, enforce the law, protect life and property. Sometimes I may appear rude when doing so, but that is usually when the party claiming I am rude doesn't like that I am not taking their side.
          Do your best, do what is right

Comment

If google is your friend:

Results 1 - 10 of about 9,650,000 for beat speeding ticket. (0.18 seconds)
            Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

Originally posted by SinePari View Post
              If google is your friend:

Results 1 - 10 of about 9,650,000 for beat speeding ticket. (0.18 seconds)
              Results 1 - 10 of about 592,000 for beat speeding ticket. (0.81 seconds)

Sine- Two questions: 1) Where did the other 9,058,000 go; 2) What kind of hardware do you have- I clearly need to update my slow computer.

Comment

Another one for the list.

Please do not tell me you are from out of town. We have speed limit signs just like the ones back in your city. Just because you leave your town doesn't mean speed limits nationwide no longer apply. This is especially true when where I pulled you over has a speed limit sign what seems like every 1/4 mile. Before I even set up my LIDAR unit, I have driven up and down the street to make sure those signs are posted and visible.

Comment

Originally posted by LikeIt223 View Post
                  Results 1 - 10 of about 592,000 for beat speeding ticket. (0.81 seconds)

Sine- Two questions: 1) Where did the other 9,058,000 go; 2) What kind of hardware do you have- I clearly need to update my slow computer.
                  Maybe you should upgrade your Coleco Adam Computer from 1983
                  Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

Just a question regarding accidents. If you were called to the scene of an accident, and when you arrived, found that there was a teen-aged girl that had been hit by a man driving an SUV. This man did not call 911, a witness did, he instead called his attorney, he did not inquire after the welfare of the girl he hit at full speed, sending her flying over 30 feet in the air to the side of the road where she rolled down a hill. (The man continued on for over 100 feet before he stopped.) The teen-aged girl was walking with a friend on a residential street that is over three lanes wide, pin straight and flat (but there are not have sidewalks) and was only lit on one side of the road, (they were on the lit side) the girls also had a flashlight. The man had gotten out of his car on the phone, (the witnesses thought he was calling 911) and was ranting about how he didn't see the girls, and he was looking for a left hand turn,(there was no left hand turn there, but if he had gone down a few streets to where he lives, there was a left turn into his apartment). By the time the police arrived on scene, (40 minutes later, 51 minutes after impact) his story had changed to he knew he hit something, but he didn't know what. The witnesses saw the girls prior to the impact, and they were coming in the opposite direction, and were much further away. How would you handle this situation?
                    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired."
                    — Robert Strauss

Comment

Originally posted by Lera Tanith View Post
                      Just a question regarding accidents. If you were called to the scene of an accident, and when you arrived, found that there was a teen-aged girl that had been hit by a man driving an SUV. This man did not call 911, a witness did, he instead called his attorney, he did not inquire after the welfare of the girl he hit at full speed, sending her flying over 30 feet in the air to the side of the road where she rolled down a hill. (The man continued on for over 100 feet before he stopped.) The teen-aged girl was walking with a friend on a residential street that is over three lanes wide, pin straight and flat (but there are not have sidewalks) and was only lit on one side of the road, (they were on the lit side) the girls also had a flashlight. The man had gotten out of his car on the phone, (the witnesses thought he was calling 911) and was ranting about how he didn't see the girls, and he was looking for a left hand turn,(there was no left hand turn there, but if he had gone down a few streets to where he lives, there was a left turn into his apartment). By the time the police arrived on scene, (40 minutes later, 51 minutes after impact) his story had changed to he knew he hit something, but he didn't know what. The witnesses saw the girls prior to the impact, and they were coming in the opposite direction, and were much further away. How would you handle this situation?
                      Too many variables to answer. The short answer is that there are at least three sides to every story - yours, theirs and the truth (which is usually somwhere in the middle). A person's actions after an accident may be inappropriate or wrong, but it is what they did leading up to the accident that matters.
                      "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
                      sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 15582 users online. 468 members and 15114 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X