Obstructing windshield

300x250 Mobile

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obstructing windshield

Ohio law on windshields states:

4513.24 Windshield and windshield wipers.
    (A) No person shall drive any motor vehicle on a street or highway in this state, other than a motorcycle or motorized bicycle, that is not equipped with a windshield.

(B) No person shall drive any motor vehicle, other than a bus, with any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, sidewings, side, or rear windows of such vehicle other than a certificate or other paper required to be displayed by law, except that there may be in the lower left-hand or right-hand corner of the windshield a sign, poster, or decal not to exceed four inches in height by six inches in width. No sign, poster, or decal shall be displayed in the front windshield in such a manner as to conceal the vehicle identification number for the motor vehicle when, in accordance with federal law, that number is located inside the vehicle passenger compartment and so placed as to be readable through the vehicle glazing without moving any part of the vehicle.

(C) The windshield on every motor vehicle, streetcar, and trackless trolley shall be equipped with a device for cleaning rain, snow, or other moisture from the windshield. The device shall be maintained in good working order and so constructed as to be controlled or operated by the operator of the vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley.

(D) Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in section 4513.99 of the Revised Code.
    (my emphasis)

Does this mean my suction-mount GPS device is illegal? The mount is non-transparent.

Originally posted by skigoggles View Post

I'll have to find another way of mounting the GPS so it doesn't attach to the windshield.

A related question: The law also states that I cannot operate the vehicle with anything that obscures my visibility through the windshield. If I mount the GPS low so that it only obscures my vision of my own hood (ie I have no useful visibility there anyhow) then would that still be "obscuring the windshield"?

Also, will I have to put my radio signal parking pass (like an EZPass for tolls) on the windshield behind the rear view mirror so it doesn't obscure any of my visibility, or is that still illegal?
      Last edited by JohnG; 12-20-2008, 04:50 PM.

Are the cops in your area stopping people for this. Everyone has a gps mounted to their windshield around here, including me. I dont worry about it.
        John 3:16

Nobody I know has been stopped for it. Just seems like good PC for a stop though and I'd rather be in compliance with the law.

I only answered yes or no. Most likely you're not going to be pulled over for having a GPS in the window. Yes a strict interpretation of the law would be that it's illegal. But there's plenty of other things they could stop you for instead.
            You can leave it up there.

What's Going On

There are currently 6452 users online. 279 members and 6173 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad