300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving on emergency spare tire

It seems like I have recently seen a bunch of drivers on my commute to and from work driving on their emergency spare tire (most of these are small to midsize passenger cars). It concerns me how the majority of these drivers drive on those things like they were regular tires (i.e. speed and quick maneuvering).

If you stopped someone for speeding (doing 65 in a 55) and noticed the driver had one of these emergency spare tires on; could you issues some sort of equipment violation/ticket/citation for traveling faster than the manufacturer's recommended maximum speed (which last I saw printed on those tires was 50 or 55mph) for the emergency spare?

Are there any safety violations while using these spare emergency tires?

Thanks.

In Arizona any peace officer can stop and inspect any vehicle if there is reasonable cause to belive that the vehicle is unsafe. (ARS 28-982)

In reality though, I would only mention it to the driver if it was during a traffic stop for something else, or if I had a moment while we were waiting for a light or something.

The manufacturer's recommended maximum speed is only that--a recommendation. You couldn't cite someone for not following a recommendation (although I would really like to sometimes).
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Comment

Originally posted by papajb View Post
      .......The manufacturer's recommended maximum speed is only that--a recommendation..........
      If the spare is a 'Space saver' style spare, they are speed restricted by the manufacturer and they are intended for limited use i.e. for emergency use with a restricted speed and distance. The owners handbook should list the limitations of those tyres quite well. Most of space-savers I have come across are speed limited to 80kph (50mph) so, as long as the driver is complying with that speed restriction, there's not a lot that can be done.

This speed limitation is not a recommendation, but a design limitation imposed by the tyre manufacturer. Space saver spares will have the speed limitation moulded into the sidewall of the tyre. As such, if the tyre is fitted and not being used within the design limitation, you can argue that the vehicle is defective. If the car is involved in a crash and the speed is calculated to have exceeded the tyres speed limit, blame can be attributed to the driver of the car with a space saver tyre fitted.

Personally, I would fit a full size tyre as soon as practicable for safety as I don't put a price on my own safety.
      If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence of your attempt.

Comment

I love the spelling of tire as tyre.

I know that's how they do it in the UK, Australia, etc., etc.; but if things get too hot, can it catch fyre?

P.S. Just messing with ya - all in good humour now.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

I love the spelling of tire as tyre.

I know that's how they do it in the UK, Australia, etc., etc.; but if things get too hot, can it catch fyre?

P.S. Just messing with ya - all in good humour now.
          I suppose it's one way of telling the difference when some one explains their version of the T/A - "Well, just before the crash happened I was that tired I fell asleep at the wheel and the next thing you know, I ran over that animal and it got tyred!"

p.s. When do you lot plan on driving on the correct side of the road, that is, the left side?

If we can't laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at?
          If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence of your attempt.

Comment

In my personal vehicle, I've seen vehicles with 4 spare tires.

Comment

I pulled over a guy doing 80 + MPH on the freeway with 2 of those things - now get this - one on the front/right, the other on the left/rear!! Cited for unsafe vehicle & unsafe speed...

Some people just don't think....

I had one that had 4 of the little "donuts" - turns out it was a stolen car he was driving to a dump-spot
              LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

The spare tire you referenced is not designed as a primary tire, merely a means to get somewhere to have the regular tire repaired/replaced. There is a warning, or advisory printed on the sidewall of the tire which says "Temporary Use Only" or words to that effect. That advice should be followed. The tire is not designed nor is it intended for anything other than short term use.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3413 users online. 188 members and 3225 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X