300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Radar - Question

So I'm an LEO, but I'm new and where I work there are no multi-lane roads. I've also had no training in radar, so when my brother asked me the following question, I didn't know what to tell him...other than, "Slow down and it won't matter." I could ask fellow officers, but I don't work again until tomorrow night so I thought I'd just throw it out here...

When you're running radar on the interstate, are you concentrating on the "fast lane" or both lanes? If it's heavier traffic, it is difficult to target vehicles in the "slow lane?"

Thanks

It's not hard at all. My unit has 3 display windows 1. target speed 2. fast window. and 3. patrol speed. If the closest vehicle is fastest that speed shows in target speed window. If a vehicle behind the closest is travelling at a faster speed then the first that speed is displayed on the fast window. Your vision of the vehicle and display of the speed helps confirm which vehicle is operating at that speed.

The more you operate radar the more proficient you become with it. If I have any doubt I don't even bother with stopping the vehicle.
    Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

One of the first things we are looking for, is a visual estimation of speed.

All the radar is doing is confirming our estimate of speed - it doesn't matter which lane they are in.

The newer RADAR's are very good about picking out a faster target, even in heavy traffic.

It really isn't that difficult.

Comment

Do any of your guys have that compact lidar? They look like a small pair of binoculars that you hold vertically. Small, and it hurts my eye to look through for a very long time, hah. It's more lightweight and compact than that huge brick some departments use.

Comment

Originally posted by Arewethereyet View Post
          Do any of your guys have that compact lidar? They look like a small pair of binoculars that you hold vertically. Small, and it hurts my eye to look through for a very long time, hah. It's more lightweight and compact than that huge brick some departments use.
          We have a pair and I like them. Our traffic unit tends to hog them but I've used them on occasion. Lightweight and easy to use. Our regular LIDAR units must stay plugged in to a cigarette lighter which makes mobility outside of the vehicle a pain. Those binoculars are great.

Comment

Originally posted by APDSgt View Post
            One of the first things we are looking for, is a visual estimation of speed.

All the radar is doing is confirming our estimate of speed - it doesn't matter which lane they are in.

The newer RADAR's are very good about picking out a faster target, even in heavy traffic.

It really isn't that difficult.
            X-2, with an additional comment. You need to get certified on the particular radar you're using. Without certification it's very possible your tickets could be Nol Prossed.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
              X-2, with an additional comment. You need to get certified on the particular radar you're using. Without certification it's very possible your tickets could be Nol Prossed.
              Believe it or not there are still states and jurisdictions NOT requiring radar training or certification out there....

LIDAR------

Comment

Originally posted by chiefcop View Post
                Believe it or not there are still states and jurisdictions NOT requiring radar training or certification out there....

LIDAR------
                TEXAS!
                sigpic
                Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Originally posted by chiefcop View Post

LIDAR------

WISCONSIN!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6124 users online. 370 members and 5754 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X