300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allowed to continue driving without insurance

On "Speeders", LEO's from various jurisdictions warn drivers who have no insurance, yet allow them to continue driving. I don't understand why their car isn't impounded until the insurance issue is resolved.
    God doesn't believe in athesists.

There is no impound authority in CA to impound for no insurance. It is simply a ticket and you are on your way. There are many things to impound for such as license, reg expired over 6 months, etc ,but insurance is not one of them.

Comment

Either they cant impound it because there is apolicy or law prohibiting it, or (more likely) they dont feel like doing the paper work for it. I almost always impound for no insurance. All you need is for someone to find your citation for no insurance in the smoking wreck of the car after they cause some fatal accident.

Comment

Originally posted by juicesnn4e2
        thats crazy! here in ga, im going to usually take your car if you dont have insurance. and i can impound your car if your tag is 1 day expired (usually i will wait 2-3 months though, and your attitude plays a big role)
        We have VERY limited impound authority here in CA.....some Depts even limit it further.....

Reg has to be expired for six months and a day.....

No impound for no insurance (the cite is around $1500 or so)
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Can't impound in AZ for no insurance, unless they are in an accident. It's just a ticket and on your way you go!
          "When I close my eyes.....I'll see you on the other side....!!!"

Hate to put it this way skippy, buy every night I suit up and climb in the cruiser I'm at war. I'm always outnumbered, potentially out gunned and always behind enemy lines.

Comment

No insurance is a revoked license. On the spot just like a DUI here. They get a DOR hearing and a temp DL.
            The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Wait a minute there. How can you determine that:
              a) the vehicle is not insured
              VS.
              b) they don't have current proof of insurance with them at the time.

Especially at roadside around 2am on a Sunday morning?

I constantly stop people who have expired insurance cards (some update monthly) and don't impound their cars or require they remove them from the road.

In our state, they are issued a notice to appear in court- where they are required to prove the vehicle was insured at the time of the stop. If they can not do so, then they are charged with driving without insurance.
              ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

Those who are cited in Nashville, TN for failing to have proof of insurance in vehicle must send proof within 45 days or their license is suspended.
                I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by KAA951 View Post
                  Wait a minute there. How can you determine that:
                  a) the vehicle is not insured
                  VS.
                  b) they don't have current proof of insurance with them at the time.

Especially at roadside around 2am on a Sunday morning?

I constantly stop people who have expired insurance cards (some update monthly) and don't impound their cars or require they remove them from the road.

In our state, they are issued a notice to appear in court- where they are required to prove the vehicle was insured at the time of the stop. If they can not do so, then they are charged with driving without insurance.
                  we dont impound for no insurance here....but in either of the situations that you are describing (no proof of insurance, expired proof of insurance) the driver can be cited for that......

Even not having a current card is (technically) a $1300-$1500 fine.....most judges will dismiss that if they show up to court with the proper card....
                  The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

No insurance = $140 fine plus they have to come in and show us they have obtained valid insurance within 10 days. They also aren't allowed to drive the vehicle (except directly home after traffic stop) in that time-period. If I see them driving again and they still have no insurance, say buh-bye to your car for a while. It gets pricey.
                    1*

Comment

State database from insurance provider. It either comes up insured or unknown. If unknown usually a ticket for failure to provide proof of insurance. I have only had a few admit they didn't have it. Instant revocation.
                      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by jb5722
                        secondly for the people who were asking how you would determine if they have valid insurance or not at 2am, in NC just by running a tag you will be advised if they have valid insurance and when their insurance expires,. if they stop paying their insurance then the DMV will issue a "pick up plate order" so that anytime an officer runs their plate it will come back and advise them to seize the tag on the vehicle.
                        Cool, that certainly makes things simple! We do have a notation on the DMV record we run that will say something to the effect of "Insurance Verified" or "Insurance unknown", but it only has to do with the registration at the time the fee is paid - so someone could get a 30 day binder, register a car, then let the insurance lapse and we'd have no official DMV notice. Hell, half the time I suspect the people are printing out their own B.S. insurance statements on their home computers

I have called the numbers a few times during business hours and asked agents to verify their client's coverage - all have refuse to tell me anything, citing confidentiality concerns. So if I have any doubt, I just cite everyone and put the burden of proof on them
                        LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

Originally posted by jb5722
                          i can advise you that here in North Carolina that is not happening unless they have written proof of valid insurance. if they dont have insurance we are impounding their vehicle (about 80% of the time) and the driver is getting a pink copy. if you let someone go who has no insurance and they get into a wreck afterwards, you could be held responsible for the actions that the driver committed after releasing them to drive.

secondly for the people who were asking how you would determine if they have valid insurance or not at 2am, in NC just by running a tag you will be advised if they have valid insurance and when their insurance expires,. if they stop paying their insurance then the DMV will issue a "pick up plate order" so that anytime an officer runs their plate it will come back and advise them to seize the tag on the vehicle.
                          Held responsible?....HOW?????!!!!

Having no insurance in no way reflects on their ability to drive (like DUI)

also, there have been NUMEROUS court rulings that we (law enforcement) have ZERO legal obligation to protect ANYONE in most circumstances......including one ruling at SCOTUS..........

Comment

jb5722,

Your 'higher ups' are blowing smoke......to a point.......

In the case of the INTOXICATED person, yes they could TRY and sue.....the burden of proof would be on them to prove that you knew the person was intoxicated to the point that she couldn't care for herself (because at THAT point, you are required to do something with her....arrest her, take her home, take her to the hospital, call a sober relative ect ect)

But an uninsured (and completely sober) driver?........don't think so......you may have a department POLICY that says you have to take the car (and it sounds like you have a law to back you up....we don't), but it is not a LEGAL requirement.....

Comment

The way I understand it here in Ohio, only state troopers can cite for no insurance, much less impound for it. For the rest of us, there is a Yes/No box on the uniform traffic citation for showing proof of financial responsibility (insurance.) If they can't show proof of insurance when the cite is issued, they have to do so when they take care of the ticket. If they don't, the court notifies the BMV who then suspend the person's driver's license.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4251 users online. 248 members and 4003 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X