300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast turning?

Is it illegal to take a turn at a speed that makes your tires squeal? If so, what would the officer put on the citation?
    Last edited by Schnuffs; 09-16-2008, 08:39 PM. Reason: add punctuation

Originally posted by Schnuffs View Post
    Is it illegal to take a turn at a speed that makes your tires squeal? If so, what would the officer put on the citation?
    Yes, failure to maintain control of vehicle (aka careless driving).

Comment

Yes. As stated above, careless driving, or exhibition of speed, ect. Its a great PC in the middle of the night.

Comment

Unnessacary squealing of tires.

Comment

It would depend. Sometimes tires squeel......I have been in a parking lot slow speed and the tires make a squeel on a sharp turn. If on an open road making a turn then your speed would determine if I cite you. If your question is if you ARE driving fast and cornering where your tires are losing traction due to the SPEED you are driving then it would be unsafe speed or unsafe movement.

Comment

Simple- in the situation you describe on a sharp turn: "Speed greater than reasonlble and prudent for conditions."
            ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

Yes. It's called 'Exhibition driving.' However, I'm not going to stop someone if it was just a normal squeal that sometimes pickup tires make. If it's intentional, I can tell..... and I will most-definitely stop and cite for it.
              1*

Comment

Stunting ticket (if I feel it is intentional) and you are walking home, your ride's going to the impound til next morning.

Comment

Nope - don't care about that. Front outside tires squeal a lot during turns for me. It'd draw attention if you spun the rears at a stop light, or donuts in a parking lot, and it'd be a city code violation for 'unnecessary squealing' here. I don't buy the whole 'exhibition of speed/reckless operation/failure to maintain control' unless the noise is secondary to your actual speed or a collision....

Comment

exhibition driving
                    "What the problem is?"

Comment

Originally posted by Schnuffs View Post
                      In Illinois, I would cite you for Illegal Squealing/Screaching of Tires - the ONLY time your tires can legally squeal or screach is emergency braking/taking off to avoid an accident.
                      What not to openly admit in the Officer.com Forums: "I AM an active member of I.P.R." - Riggs45

"Please let me know, Thank you." in honor of Chitown2210

“What's right is what's left if you've done everything else wrong.” - Robin Williams

Comment

You might also hear the term "breaking traction" which indicates a lack of control of the vehicle. Might be exhibition driving or reckless cite.

Comment

If someone spins excessively I would write them a Careless driving citation.
                          Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Careless Driving in Iowa also.

Comment

Reckless Operation, squeeling tires, or unreasonable speed for conditions. Take your pick.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6162 users online. 332 members and 5830 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X