300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Green Light Count-down

I don't know if this is just my perception or not, so I thought I'd ask about this.

A few months ago, the city installed this count-down light adjacent to the walk/don't walk lights, which counts down from 15 to the end of the green light. I honestly don't know who thought that was a good idea, because it seems to me that now there are people who are way too far back see it hit single-digits and floor it, running the red at what seems awfully high speed (considering this is a 30/20 zone--there's a school on the corner, so 20 when school is in, 30 otherwise).

Admittedly, I don't pass through this intersection that often (about 5-6x a week), but it seems to me that I'm now seeing someone run the red every time I go that route.

So--the question is, if you work where they have such count-down lights, does it seem like there are more people running reds at those intersections than others, or are there actually some places where people don't seem to think 'hey, yeah, I'm a block away and the counter's on 8, I can make it ...'?
    Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. --Mark Twain

I havent noticed an increase in red light runners and many of our intersections have those. They are there so that the pedestrians know how much time they have until the cars start running them over from the previously red light. Most people I observe arent able to drive straight let alone look at a small countdown timer on a crosswalk while they are doing 35mph from several hundred feet away so I'm not sure how many people are actually looking for that or if they are just running the light.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6145 users online. 353 members and 5792 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X