300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about traffic stop

During a traffic stop, would a police officer be able to get your place of employment by running your name and vehicle information through their on-board computer (MDS),

If i work in Law Enforcement, would the police officer know this by accessing my name via the station computer?

Ill run this through my buddies, but maybe u can answer it first?

Just curious.
    Last edited by Future Shield; 09-13-2008, 11:52 AM.
    “One person can make a difference and every person should try.” JFKsigpic

Becasue since 9/11 and the patriot act, nothing is considered off limits anymore.
    Any patrol men out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Future Shield View Post
      During a traffic stop, would a police officer be able to get your place of employment by running your name and vehicle information through their on-board computer (MDS),

If i work in Law Enforcement, would the police officer know this by accessing my name via the station computer?

Ill run this through my buddies, but maybe u can answer it first?

Just curious.
      This info will not come up on a DL check via a traffic stop. An arrest is a different story, as most arrest reports ask for phone #'s, ss#'s, identifying marks (tattoos, etc), and other personal information. Normally you will have to get this info from the jail/police dept. Even NCIC criminal histories will only bring up identifying marks and criminal arrests/convictions. They will rarely pull up further unless extenuating circumstances exist (i.e. threat to law enforcement, wanted info, suicidal, mental illness issues).
      I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Out here we can even tell you what you ate for breakfast, your high school GPA and the name of your first girlfriend's current husband

OK, having some fun at your expense. As was stated above, on just a routine stop, none of that info would matter and generally would not be available without some digging. Im just not that motivated....
        LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

Originally posted by Future Shield View Post
          If you are employed in California law enforcement, your place of employment could be identified through a computer check.

In an attempt to protect home address confidentiality, California cops, dispatchers, jailers, judges, prosecutors, etc., have the option of listing the name of their employing agency instead of their home address on their drivers license and vehicle registration records. As a result, if you run their driver's license or vehicle registration, the address information will only come back as Bill Jones - Sacramento Police Department, or Anne Jenkins - Tulare District Attorney's Office, or William Pattison - San Diego Superior Court.
          Last edited by L-1; 09-13-2008, 10:42 PM.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Down here in South Florida, we cannot access work information via our computer. Even if we were able to, it would be irrelevant on a traffic stop due to the time consumption and safety concerns...just want to get the basics needed to ensure the driver is the person I am running through NCIC/FCIC.
            I DON'T FIGHT TO WIN, I FIGHT TO SURVIVE.

Comment

Originally posted by FLState26 View Post
              Down here in South Florida, we cannot access work information via our computer. Even if we were able to, it would be irrelevant on a traffic stop due to the time consumption and safety concerns...just want to get the basics needed to ensure the driver is the person I am running through NCIC/FCIC.
              FWIW, we're not doing an employment history check either. It's just that when we run a license plate to get registration information, or a driver's license to check validity, instead of coming back with the person's home address, it gives their agency name instead.

Typically we will run a plate before making a traffic stop. If the plate has peace officer confidentiality associated with it, we have a good idea as to who might be driving the car by the time the stop is made.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

For information, the sections for the California Vehicle Code that pertain to confidentiality for specific individuals are:

Confidential Records: Address of Public Officers (CVC Sec.1808.4),

Confidential Records: Physical, Mental Condition; Controlled Substance Offenses (CVC Section 1808.5),

Confidential Records (CVC Section 1808.6),

Confidential Records: Continued Eligibility (CVC Section 1808.9)

You can google them if you have a further interest. Section 1808.4 is quite lengthy.
                Last edited by SgtCHP; 09-14-2008, 08:23 AM.
                Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                  If you are employed in California law enforcement, your place of employment could be identified through a computer check.

In an attempt to protect home address confidentiality, California cops, dispatchers, jailers, judges, prosecutors, etc., have the option of listing the name of their employing agency instead of their home address on their drivers license and vehicle registration records. As a result, if you run their driver's license or vehicle registration, the address information will only come back as Bill Jones - Sacramento Police Department, or Anne Jenkins - Tulare District Attorney's Office, or William Pattison - San Diego Superior Court.

Good stuff, I knew that threre was a way. thanks.

Comment

Does anyone know if this applies to ILLINOIS?

Comment

Our records system (MRE by Versadex) has a local records page that comes up when your run a license/NCIC check for either a person or vehicle. This page shows previous contacts with our agency dating back to 2002, when the system was enacted. This page will have addresses, phone numbers, and sometimes employment information as well, depending on what all was included in the report the last time an officer made contact with the subject.

I work with one guy who asks for everything but a person's maiden name on the simplest of calls, including SSN and employment, whereas I just copy their license information and physical description. There's no standardization to it, so you'll have different information for everyone.

Comment

Yes, officers in Illinois have the option of listing their work address. However, unless you are familiar with that address you would have no other way of knowing where they work via a computer check.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5634 users online. 345 members and 5289 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X