300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Park Ranger?

Hubby and I were driving home the other day and as another vehicle zoomed by us, we saw a marked SUV light up and go after said speeder.

I noticed that the SUV stopping the speeder was a Park Ranger (marked on vehicle)....I made a comment about how I didnt think a Park Ranger could do that on a city street not in a park. After my husband laughed at me, we debated about duties of a Park Ranger and I said it's not traffic control outside of a park area...he told me I was wrong.

Who is right and can a Park Ranger stop me on a city street not in a park?
    "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Park Rangers/Police usually have the same police powers as any other officer.
    Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Originally posted by JDCOP View Post
      Park Rangers/Police usually have the same police powers as any other officer.

OOOPS..thanks!
      "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

There focus is the parks and surrounding areas, but ours are free to make stops/arrests anywhere in the county.

You're not the first one to make that mistake. I backed a Park Ranger recently when a motorcyclist decided to pop a wheelie right in front of him, apparently operating under the assumption that the Ranger couldn't stop him on a city street.
        I miss you, Dave.
        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

It varies a lot.
          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Styx View Post
            Hubby and I were driving home the other day and as another vehicle zoomed by us, we saw a marked SUV light up and go after said speeder.

I noticed that the SUV stopping the speeder was a Park Ranger (marked on vehicle)....I made a comment about how I didnt think a Park Ranger could do that on a city street not in a park. After my husband laughed at me, we debated about duties of a Park Ranger and I said it's not traffic control outside of a park area...he told me I was wrong.

Who is right and can a Park Ranger stop me on a city street not in a park?
            It really depends on what kind of park ranger it was.

In Wisconsin, Park Rangers have full police power and are statutorily considered law enforcement officers. The only exception is... jurisdiction is limited to within the park, or on any road bordering park property.

When I was a ranger, I routinely stopped vehicles "outside of the park." If I saw the violation on a road bordering the park, that vehicle was fair game for me. A lot of people I stopped questioned my authority to stop vehicles. All I had to do was explain how my jurisdiction worked. Though, I mostly did that when nothing was going on IN the park... which was my first priority.
            sigpic

Comment

In CA there are all types of park rangers. There are municipal park rangers, county park rangers and state park rangers. Depending on the agency some may have peace officer status and some do not. If they have peace officer status they can make stops. Policy may determine if they are allowed to stop, but the statute allows them to.

I was a municipal park ranger....no peace officer status and no stops. A good clue would be if the vehicle has red and blue lights......I doubt an agency is going to put those on a vehicle if the rangers cant make stops.

Comment

If they didn't have the authority could you imagine what their supervisors would be saying/doing if a defense attorney got ahold of the case?

I really rather not deal w/ traffic violations, but if it happens right in front of me and it's a safety concern then they get a citation from their local game warden . I've had a few people tell me I didn't have the authority to write speeding tickets etc. I tell them my supervisors name and phone number for them to call and complain....no calls yet.
                He who laughs last.......thinks slowest

Comment

here in san antonio they have same powers as police

Comment

In Ohio City park rangers have law enforcement authority through out the city that they are commissioned by.

County park rangers have jurisdiction throughout the entire county

State park rangers throughout the entire state

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4886 users online. 246 members and 4640 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X