Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a motorist request another officer during a traffic stop?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a motorist request another officer during a traffic stop?

Someone said something to me the other day, and I kind of think its BS, but they said you can request a state trooper in PA if local police initiate a traffic stop. Is this true?

Also can you request a supervisor on scene? That I've heard of before and can see happen, but I never heard of the state trooper request.

Some motorists have been known to request a supervisor. If a sergeant was nearby, they would respond.

I doubt that it is a "right" that one must come at the request of a citizen, however. I cannot remember seeing anything in the S.O.P. regarding such matters. (Our sheriff was into good PR, but that may not be the case everywhere.)

If you live in PA, that might be a whole different matter. Why don't you post this question in the Pennsylvania forum? No doubt you will find what it is you are seeking.

Good luck!!

Last edited by VA Dutch; 09-03-2008, 09:26 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I'm not from PA, but if *I* were the initiating officer and I stopped you for breaking the law in MY jurisdiction (my city or county), I would simply tell you "no." Hands down. No question.

As far as a supervisor: Absolutely! Ask away! Just make sure it's a legitimate and relevant request, or it's definitely not going to get you anywhere. Those sergeants and lieutenants don't like to have to leave their offices! (To all you brass in here..... j/k.....j/k)
      1*

Comment

Yes, to a supervisor. Instead of saying, "No." I've seen MPDC Sgt.s respond to traffic stops and once a LT. responded!

No, to another officer. Personally, I don't like when officers backing me up on a traffic stop "socalize" with the motorist. My experience of those situations has been the motorist gets the idea that I, the issuing officer for their ticket, is somehow f-ing with them because the backup officer is "cool and reasonable".

Comment

As a general rule, "NO" to another officer and "YES" to a supervisor. However, if you are told no to having another officer present, all you have to do is become a bit belligerant and there will soon be a number of officers present.
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
            As a general rule, "NO" to another officer and "YES" to a supervisor.
            Same up here...

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
            However, if you are told no to having another officer present, all you have to do is become a bit belligerant and there will soon be a number of officers present.
            Ditto...

Comment

Off the top of my head the only thing the officer is required to provide you with on request is the pen to sign the cite.

And you have to give that back.

Comment

Another Officer... No
                A Supervisor... No

1 man on duty, and I'm all your getting
                sigpic
                Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Other officer? No. Boss- Yes, but you'd better have something good if I'm gonna have to go out and talk to you. Don't think I'm going to listen to your tale of woe and order the officer not to cite/arrest/tow your car/search for drugs/etc.
                  More than likely you've guaranteed you're going to get the cite/tow, etc.
                  "The only means we possess to thank them is to try to be as good an American as they were. We might fall well short of their standard, but there is honor in the effort."

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
                    Another Officer... No
                    A Supervisor... No

1 man on duty, and I'm all your getting
                    Same here.. most of the time..

Requesting another officer / supervisor on a traffic stop is like asking for more tickets.

Comment

I really dont understand why people ask for supervisors...... they never like what they are told anyway.

But sarge...I wasnt speeding and the officer said I was.... GO TO COURT. But sarge... I'm not guilty.... it says right on the ticket "WITHOUT ADMITTING GUILT".
                      But sarge... the officer was rude... well THE STOP WAS AUDIO RECORDED....that one usually has people backpedaling.

As far as another officer.... NOPE. I stopped you and you deal with me.....you dont get to officer shop.

If people have a legitimate complaint there is a process....and it doesnt happen on the side of the road.

Comment

I am a PSP supervisor. As a citizen you can request anything you like. If you are stopped by a municipal officer and you request a trooper the answer will be NO. We are busy in our own area and have no time to second guess a brother officer. If you are stopped by a trooper and you request a supervisor the decision wheter or not a supervisor responds is up to the trooper that stopped you. If I respond to a traffic stop it's because the trooper requested my presence. I will also respond to any officer who requests back up, whether its one of my guys of a municipal officer. If I do respond because a trooper is acting on a motorists request I guarantee that the motorist will not like my answers.
                        When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

Originally posted by Chit2001 View Post
                          I'm not from PA, but if *I* were the initiating officer and I stopped you for breaking the law in MY jurisdiction (my city or county), I would simply tell you "no." Hands down. No question.

As far as a supervisor: Absolutely! Ask away! Just make sure it's a legitimate and relevant request, or it's definitely not going to get you anywhere. Those sergeants and lieutenants don't like to have to leave their offices! (To all you brass in here..... j/k.....j/k)
                          My pop is a LT and he goes out on the street, more than any of my family would like, but thats how he is, hands on, throwing guys against the wall in his white shirt lol. Now I've worked for a local PD where the LTs don't really go out but for lunch or just to cruise around a little, I don't think I've ever seen them wear a uniform just shirts and ties. I don't know I wasn't an officer or anything, but I was there for a few years, just what I've noticed, HUGE difference from small municipality policing and large city( I guess thats a given)

Anyway, since a motorist can attempt to request a supervisor and it might happen, most of your replies indicate that it should be for a legit reason, what would a legitimate reason for requesting a supervisor be? Obviously if I've been pulled over and its going way out of hand and I have a gun to my head, I think I'd have to lodge a complaint, I'm pretty mindful on a traffic stop of office safety concerns. I don't think I'd even try to request a supervisor if it got to that point though!

Comment

Although many here say that a supervisor may respond when requested, I'm sure that is an agency policy and not any type of law.

One can request all they want on a traffic stop (i.e. looking at radar, another officer, supervisor), but that does not mean they are going to get it. There are no laws that require officers to bring anything or anyone to their traffic stop.
                            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

A motorist can request anything they want.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6302 users online. 335 members and 5967 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X