Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm from Toronto and I got a ticket in the US?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm from Toronto and I got a ticket in the US?

I was just driving down to Grove City to do some shopping but I went too fast (I did 78 MPH in a 55 MPH zone) and I got ticketed by one of the state troopers. The ticket told me to respond by September 30th, so I'm not sure what to do?

Should I just ignore it? I'm not sure if I should pay, ignore, or hire a traffic lawyer and fight the ticket.

If you ignore it, then expect to be arrested the next time you are stopped in the US.....ignoring the cite will almost always result in an arrest warrant being issued for failure to appear.

If you are guilty, pay the ticket.....if not, fight the ticket......very simple
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

23 mph over, ya just ignore it.

Comment

I don’t like these questions because it is basically a question of integrity.

Yes, if you never come back to the U.S. you will never have a problem and you will never have to deal with it. So sure you could ignore it.

That would show what type of person you are and your integrity level.

If your guilty, you should pay the fine, ask for court supervision, and don’t speed next time.
        "Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."

- Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Sakura_ichigo View Post
          I was just driving down to Grove City to do some shopping but I went too fast (I did 78 MPH in a 55 MPH zone)...

Should I just ignore it?
          You come onto a police website, admit to speeding and then ask police officers if you should ignore the ticket?

Comment

Our court system turns cases like this over to a collections / credit agency.

Unless I am mistaken, having an unpaid debt on your credit report still follows you across international boundries.
            ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

I just heard that my son's friend was refused a US Passport when his unpaid ticket (warrant) popped up during a background check. Who knows what will happen at the border, either crossing into or out of the US/Canada.

If you drive here and get stopped again, if the cops feels like it he/she can run you for warrants. You can be arrested and spend some time in jail. That's not the best part of any visit to the US. But, to each his own.
              "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by tutt101 View Post

Yes, if you never come back to the U.S. you will never have a problem and you will never have to deal with it. So sure you could ignore it.
                This is not likely the case. Canadian jurisdictions have reciprocal agreements with many US jurisdictions. Having an unpaid ticket in the US could cause you problems when it comes time to renew your insurance and/or DL in Canada. Your best course of action would be to pay the ticket and slow down.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                  I just heard that my son's friend was refused a US Passport when his unpaid ticket (warrant) popped up during a background check. Who knows what will happen at the border, either crossing into or out of the US/Canada.

If you drive here and get stopped again, if the cops feels like it he/she can run you for warrants. You can be arrested and spend some time in jail. That's not the best part of any visit to the US. But, to each his own.
                  Yup...and if it happened here, the fact that you are from a different country would be a huge issue. You would be considered a flight risk so you could also expect a high bond and to spend some time in our detention center. If there is no reciprocity, then pay the fine through the mail and dont worry about the points. If there is reciprocity, then go to court and ask for leniency.

Speaking from experience, our judges are very lenient on people who travel long distances to make their court dates. I had court a few days ago with a guy from New York. Very minor disorderly charge but the guy owned up and showed in court. Just gave him a "Shame On You" lecture, a small fine and that was that.

Comment

Next time you come to Grove City, drive another 50 miles south on 79.
                    they just opened a Tanger Outlet at the other end of I-79.

Oh and plead not guilty and take a hearing, DONT FORGET ABOUT IT.
                    I got nothing for now

Comment

Don't listen to these guys and don't be a sissy, ignore it!
                      Airborne Cops are closer to God.
                      Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5807 users online. 306 members and 5501 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X