Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• school speed limit and flashing school bus lights

i have two questions and live in California:

1. the 25 mph school speed limits say "when children are present" is this literal like when any child is present, even on the weekends or is it just during school hours?

2. the road i travel on the way home from work in the morning has two lanes going westbound, two lanes going eastbound, and one middle turning lane. if i am traveling eastbound and there is a school bus stopped heading westbound with flashing lights and the little stop sign up, do i have to stop? i am pretty sure both sides are supposed to stop but today when i did people were honking and going around me all p***** off that i stopped.

thank you for the replies
    This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

Originally posted by FireCop86 View Post
    i have two questions and live in California:

1. the 25 mph school speed limits say "when children are present" is this literal like when any child is present, even on the weekends or is it just during school hours?
    Only when children are present "DURING SCHOOL HOURS" and during the noon recess. However, consider this, most schools are located in neighborhoods where the speed limits are posted 25 MPH. If it is in a residential area and is unposted then the prima facie speed limit is still 25 MPH. Using caution when children are present, irrespective of the day of the week, is tanamount and should be everyone's practice.

2. the road i travel on the way home from work in the morning has two lanes going westbound, two lanes going eastbound, and one middle turning lane. if i am traveling eastbound and there is a school bus stopped heading westbound with flashing lights and the little stop sign up, do i have to stop? i am pretty sure both sides are supposed to stop but today when i did people were honking and going around me all p***** off that i stopped.
    If the RED lights are flashing, YES, you must stop! If the YELLOW lights are flashing, you must slow down and may proceed with caution. There is one caveat, however, and that is if the roadway is divided into two separate roadways by a raised center median, you do not have to stop when travelling the opposite direction.

Schoolbus: Meeting and Passing

22454. (a) The driver of any vehicle, upon meeting or overtaking, from either direction, any schoolbus equipped with signs as required in this code, that is stopped for the purpose of loading or unloading any schoolchildren and displays a flashing red light signal and stop signal arm, as defined in paragraph (4) of subdivision (b) of Section 25257, if equipped with a stop signal arm, visible from front or rear, shall bring the vehicle to a stop immediately before passing the schoolbus and shall not proceed past the schoolbus until the flashing red light signal and stop signal arm, if equipped with a stop signal arm, cease operation.

(b) (1) The driver of a vehicle upon a divided highway or multiple-lane highway need not stop upon meeting or passing a schoolbus that is upon the other roadway.

(2) For the purposes of this subdivision, a multiple-lane highway is any highway that has two or more lanes of travel in each direction.

(c) (1) If a vehicle was observed overtaking a schoolbus in violation of subdivision (a), and the driver of the schoolbus witnessed the violation, the driver may, within 24 hours, report the violation and furnish the vehicle license plate number and description and the time and place of the violation to the local law enforcement agency having jurisdiction of the offense. That law enforcement agency shall issue a letter of warning prepared in accordance with paragraph (2) with respect to the alleged violation to the registered owner of the vehicle. The issuance of a warning letter under this paragraph shall not be entered on the driving record of the person to whom it is issued, but does not preclude the imposition of any other applicable penalty.

(2) The Attorney General shall prepare and furnish to every law enforcement agency in the state a form letter for purposes of paragraph (1), and the law enforcement agency may issue those letters in the exact form prepared by the Attorney General. The Attorney General may charge a fee to any law enforcement agency that requests a copy of the form letter to recover the costs of preparing and providing that copy.

(d) This section also applies to a roadway upon private property.

Amended Ch. 1296, Stats. 1990. Effective January 1, 1991.
    Amended Ch. 624, Stats. 1992. Effective September 14, 1992.
    Amended Ch. 589, Stats. 1993. Effective January 1, 1994.
    Amended Sec. 3, Ch. 647, Stats. 1999. Effective October 10, 1999.
    thank you for the replies[/QUOTE]
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

thank you for the reply. for the first question the actual speed limit is 40. you are also absolutely right using caution also. where i live and im sure where others live also these kids dont care if a car is coming or not they will walk right out in the middle of the street and expect you to stop

for the second question just to clarify. being that the road i am traveling has two lanes going each way that means i do not have to stop if the bus is going the opposite direction?

thank you again sgtchp
      This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

Comment

I do see your confusion because 22454 (b) 1 seems to indicate that as long as you have multiple lanes in each direction you are okay to pass. b-2 defines multiple lane highway and makes no mention of raised median.

(b) (1) The driver of a vehicle upon a divided highway or multiple-lane highway need not stop upon meeting or passing a schoolbus that is upon the other roadway.

(2) For the purposes of this subdivision, a multiple-lane highway is any highway that has two or more lanes of travel in each direction.
        Last edited by 1967hammer; 08-27-2008, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Divided Highways

21651. (a) Whenever a highway has been divided into two or more roadways by means of intermittent barriers or by means of a dividing section of not less than two feet in width, either unpaved or delineated by curbs, double-parallel lines, or other markings on the roadway, it is unlawful to do either of the following:

(1) To drive any vehicle over, upon, or across the dividing section.

(2) To make any left, semicircular, or U-turn with the vehicle on the divided highway, except through an opening in the barrier designated and intended by public authorities for the use of vehicles or through a plainly marked opening in the dividing section.

(b) It is unlawful to drive any vehicle upon a highway, except to the right of an intermittent barrier or a dividing section which separates two or more opposing lanes of traffic. Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (c), a violation of this subdivision is a misdemeanor.

(c) Any willful violation of subdivision (b) which results in injury to, or death of, a person shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison, or imprisonment in a county jail for a period of not more than six months.

Amended Ch. 765, Stats. 1988. Effective January 1, 1989.
          Although the section mentions the double yellow lines not less than two feet apart as constituting a barrier for the purposes of a divided highway, that type of barrier is relatively new and generally not used in areas outside of a business district.

I erred and forgot that this type of dividing barrier is becoming more common place because the highway departments don't have to do a lot of repair work. Disregard my comment about RAISED barrier and replace it with that described in the section quoted above.
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Thanks for the update Sarge. I have not work traffic in about 8 years and I was used to the "raised barrier" exception as well. That was always my determinator whenever I wrote cites here in AZ.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4608 users online. 292 members and 4316 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X