300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bankruptcy and Law Enforcement

I'm sure this has been asked, but I can't get the search function to cooperate...

How would not one, but two bankruptcies be viewed by a background investigation?

I'm not sure if an explanation makes things better, but the first was due to stupidity and the second to a prolonged medical issue that caused months of missed work.

Thanks.

Originally posted by HeadonaStick View Post
    I'm sure this has been asked, but I can't get the search function to cooperate...

How would not one, but two bankruptcies be viewed by a background investigation?

I'm not sure if an explanation makes things better, but the first was due to stupidity and the second to a prolonged medical issue that caused months of missed work.

Thanks.
    In very general terms,a bankruptcy does not automatically equal a DQ. Much will depend on the circumstances. Two bankruptcys , especially recent ones, will raise considerable questions. Departments are generally interested in how an applicant is handling debts at the time he/she applies. In addition to bankuptcys, they will look at any accounts wich are delinquent, have been referred to collections, or charged off. It will be necessary for you to fully disclose the situation(s) which led to the bankruptcys you mentioned. You may be looking at an uphill battle.

Comment

Credit scores are most always looked at by police agencies. 1 bankruptcy is bad, but 2 of them in your lifetime is not good at all. All I can say is apply for jobs and see what happens..

Comment

Thanks.
        Do not give up, I know several officers that are outstanding officers and have had credit issues in the past, present and recent past. Each dept will have different thresholds for this issue.

Your best bet is to seek out a B/I and ask about the issue.

If you have gone out and bought stereos, cars and lived beyond your means with no intention of paying your debts...this would be an issue. Some situations arise that are beyond our control and you must take actions necessary. There is nothing illegal about Bankruptcy, just how you recover from them.

Comment

Federal law prohibits you from being denied a job based solely on a bankruptcy. You can be denied based on the reasons for the bankruptcy. The law does not state that you can be denied employment after you file bankruptcy x amount of times. Whether you filed once twice or ten times is irrelevant.
          But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Time Heals All....

Thanks.
            As a fellow applicant with a less than spotless credit history, I can feel your pain bro! However, that said, do NOT give up!!
            As others have said, it could be department specific. Some agencies are much less tolerant than others. Some will not care if you have things in collection even while in BI, as long as you own up to them....and have a decent reason. (Making less now than I would if hired?????)
            But I have been told time and time again that it is really the amount of time that has passed since you had the issues in your history. Generally, I think at least three years is acceptable.
            But damn it man....do what ever you have to do and do NOT file another one!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4440 users online. 225 members and 4215 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X