Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a Police Officer, Question about Driving Record

Hey all,

I am 20 years old and currently in college to obtain a B.A in Criminal Justice. I graduate in 2011 with hopes of becoming a police officer. There is just one thing that worries me. I know that during the recruitment process, the department checks your driving record. Well about a year ago when I was 19, I was driving down a road when a sports bike went to pass me on a double yellow line, me out of stupidity moved over and got in front of him. Long story short, he crashed the bike with no injuries and punched out my window because he was mad. He was also of the same age as me. The police charged him with criminal mischief for punching out my window. I ended up calling the police when everything was said and done no citations or criminal charges were filed. The police stated that it was my fault because I ran him off the road and the insurance company agreed with the police. I got a copy of my driving record and it was clean nothing is on it. I have had 2 very minor fender benders since I got my license about 3 years ago. Will a police department choose not to hire me because of this, even if i am accident free for the next few years? Thanks
    Last edited by LC88; 08-07-2008, 11:00 AM. Reason: Adding to story

I can not imagine someone not hiring you based on your official driving record. A few minor fender benders are not generally cause for concern. No one is looking for the perfect candidate. The fact of the matter is we all make mistakes as long as they are learned from.

As far as the incident with motorcycle goes....I would disclose it wherever appropriate. I would not sweat it though as no one was injured and I cant say that others might not try to do the same had they been in your shoes. However, in the future, try and avoid this type of behavior. The bike passing you in a no passing zone and hitting another car head-on causing death or serious injury=idiot bike riders fault. You driving in the other lane so that the bike rider can not get around you which then causes a crash with death or serious injury= a criminal or at a minimum a civil trial may be coming your way.

The long and short of it is your drivers history is not worth worrying about as it stands now. Wait until you get hired and you get in your first wreck. And it will happen, just part of the job.

Best of luck.

Comment

This is why you won't be hired for running someone off the road LAST YEAR.

Comment

Originally posted by LC88 View Post
        Hey all,

I am 20 years old and currently in college to obtain a B.A in Criminal Justice. I graduate in 2011 with hopes of becoming a police officer. There is just one thing that worries me. I know that during the recruitment process, the department checks your driving record. Well about a year ago when I was 19, I was driving down a road when a sports bike went to pass me on a double yellow line, me out of stupidity moved over and got in front of him. Long story short, he crashed the bike with no injuries and punched out my window because he was mad. He was also of the same age as me. I ended up calling the police when everything was said and done no citations or criminal charges were filed. The police stated that it was my fault because I ran him off the road and the insurance company agreed with the police. I got a copy of my driving record and it was clean nothing is on it. I have had 2 very minor fender benders since I got my license about 3 years ago. Will a police department choose not to hire me because of this, even if i am accident free for the next few years? Thanks
        My normal response to a post such as yours would be to suggest you fully disclose the accident on your SPH or similar document. Your post suggests that you could have intentionally caused the crash. I'm not saying you did, merely mentioning that the wording of your post opens that possibility. Yes, the crash is your fault, and full disclosure will be required.

Comment

Right now I am in the Background Investigation process of a department, and I met with the investigating officer to review my packet. He said that everything was perfect (No drug use, no drinking, no arrests, I'm almost done with the Police Academy which I put myself through) but they said that that my 2 traffic citations for speeding COULD be a problem. He said that since they have been in the last 3 years that I might not be able to be covered by the insurance they carry. Kind of crazy in my opinion, but I guess my answer to your question would be that it just depends on the department. My cousin who works as an officer for the adjacent city said that that was pretty stupid and in his department two traffic citations were not a problem.
          Last edited by CrimsonLife; 08-07-2008, 12:11 PM. Reason: Spellcheck

Comment

Christ, I had 4 tickets prior to applying. They still hired me. My record is clear now. Just be honest.
            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
            that we are all that stands between
            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

thanks for all the replies, my situation just worried me a little because i'm afraid that when I apply for a police officer position in 3 years they won't hire me when I disclose this accident on my SPH even if I don't have any accidents or citations. Its just been worrying me a little. Thanks again for all the replies

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3418 users online. 173 members and 3245 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X