300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While you waited

I am now waiting for my name to come up on the RAW Test list. I am just wondering, what did you do while you were waiting to be called? I feel like time is moving in slow motion! I think about it all day, night, and even in my sleep! It was my first department I have tested for, so I am kind of lost on what to do while I wait. Any advice?
    "Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what your doing, you will be successful"

"We're all going to screw up. But life is about how you come back from it, how you learn from it and how you use it to make yourself a better, stronger person."

Find something, anything, to get your mind off of it. The time will go by faster and the wait will seem shorter.

The waiting is the worst part of the hiring processes. And you'll do A LOT of waiting... so find something you really like doing... because you'll be doing it a lot.
    sigpic

Comment

I was the same way. I waited years to get hired. It sucks and there's really no way to past the time if being a L.E.O. is all you've ever wanted to do. It seems like time is standing still. Stay positive, live a drama-free and productive life and keep your eye on the prize.

If hired as a L.E. you will realize you it was well worth the wait! Good luck!

Comment

I will try to find something to do. I am not sure it will work though. This is my passion, what I was born for! I will not rest until I become a LEO! I tested almost 2 weeks ago. They are looking to send people to the academy the first of Oct. So I know it will not be that much longer. The one time in my life I am learning to wait. But it is worth every second.
        "Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what your doing, you will be successful"

"We're all going to screw up. But life is about how you come back from it, how you learn from it and how you use it to make yourself a better, stronger person."

Comment

Let me tell you what I am doing while waiting. I am applying at about a dozen other agencies. I have tests, interviews, polygraphs, or something scheduled every week, so it never feels like I am doing nothing.
          What is Perseverance?
          -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
          -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
          -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Routine exercise is a great way to spend time. Run EVERY day if you can. Start every other day and work up your speed and mileage. Make sure you utilize your time BEFORE the academy to work on developing your discipline, physical fitness, etc. If you set yourself goals to reach before the academy and break them down week by week, time flies! just my 2 cents.
            pain and suffering are inevitable; misery is optional.

Comment

I had thought about applying to other departments but I thought it would look bad on an app. I have only tested with one. I put all my eggs into that department. Then there are so many departments that have a hold on hiring people. I am in school on line getting a degree so that takes up some time, then I work for an Armored Car company so I am at work a lot. But my mind goes right back on where I want to be. I have started on working out some also.

Comment

Also one other question, since I work for an Armored Car company does that help out any with me applying? I work with a weapon out and I put my life on the line each day I go to work.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsG22TX View Post
                  Also one other question, since I work for an Armored Car company does that help out any with me applying? I work with a weapon out and I put my life on the line each day I go to work.
                  It won't hurt your chances at all. Then again, it might not help either. However; if you've been with the company for some time and can show a stable work history, no history of reprimands, etc... it could very well help you out.
                  sigpic

Comment

Wow, I thought that it might help a little bit. I work with a weapon in the public, I pick up and drop off money everyday, I do ATM's (alone), and so much more. Then the hiring process is not to far off from a PD. We go through a credit check, 10 year FBI check, Poly, and a PT. If I am trustworthy to work with "MONEY" all day, doesn't that say anything? I see more money each day/week that people only dream of seeing. It does not bother me one bit, because I know it is not mine! I know it is only Armored Car but look how many people plan and hit the trucks each day!

Comment

As an LEO you have the power to take people's freedom away. That is a little more important than money. Banktellers work with money all day too, as do many other professions. As previously stated a stable work history is generally more important than the type of work you did.
                      "Out of every 100 men sent to battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a Warrior and he will bring the others back." -Heraclitus

Comment

MrsG,

Just a little helpful advice - it's a marathon, not a sprint. I agree in not applying everywhere - I learned that the hard way. But having 2-3 departments you're looking seriously at is a good idea.

At least you have a good job and aren't in a money crunch. That's hard.

Oh, and you might want to tone down the enthusiasm just a touch in the board. Yes, tell them they are your #1 choice, and be positive and confident, but don't let them think your whole self-worth is tied up in whether they hire you.
                        If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

BTW, I don't know what department your #1 is, but Mesquite seems to pride themselves on the "Wham, Bam" hiring approach. I think the process is supposed to be about a month, start to finish. And they are a VERY GOOD DFW department, one of the best. Something to think about, anyway.
                          If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

I still had a job, so that kept me busy. Matter of fact, I worked all the way up until the weekend before the academy (outside as a Land Surveyor), resigned (it was my last day, and they knew it), took the 2 days to get ready, and started the Academy at 0630 on that Monday.
                            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                            that we are all that stands between
                            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by School Cop View Post
                              MrsG,

Just a little helpful advice - it's a marathon, not a sprint. I agree in not applying everywhere - I learned that the hard way.
                              I disagree. When I initially looked into law enforcement, I had my heart set on a single department. I was absolutely certain I would be hired there, and after passing all the phases and being strung along for 7 months, I found out I was not selected. I was devastated, especially since I had wasted 7 months without applying anywhere else and now I had to wait several more months to go through the process all over again with a different agency.

Then I joined this website and saw that it wasn't as easy as I initially guessed to become a police officer. I saw that people in Chicago had been waiting for 2 years and still hadn't been hired, and I asked myself did I want to be that guy, waiting endlessly, or did I want to get out there and give myself every possible opportunity to do this job. I've applied at a dozen agencies in the last 4 months, and I always tell my interviewers that fact and they often tell me that they had to do the same thing to get hired, and that it is a good idea because these jobs are very competitive.
                              What is Perseverance?
                              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6363 users online. 343 members and 6020 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X