Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Hired with a Conviction

Hey Guys,
    I am considering applying for a volunteer position with the local PD. I meet all of their requirements except one. I was convicted of a felony. It was non violent and non drug related. It was also almost 10 years ago.

Since then I have had all of my rights reinstated. The governor restored my civil rights and the county circuit court restored my rights to a firearm. I'm not limited from doing anything that would be required for the job.

Is there even a remote possibility of getting picked up someplace, or is it just flat out not going to happen?

Thanks!
    -LB

I am going to go out on alimb here and say it probably will not happen. A felony, regardless of how long looks rally bad, I mean it IS a felony!!! I do not know of any department that would pick someone with a felony especially when there are probably other candidates who do not have that type of background. I wish you luck, but I have to be honest!
    Your Gauging Intelligence From An Ignorant Scale

Comment

I have to agree with ^^^ our policy states no felony convictions. It doesn't matter that you had everything reinstated, but the simple fact of the original conviction. Sorry... I would check with your local agencies though and get their thoughts on it..

Comment

You would not be able to be certified with the State of North Carolina as a law enforcement officer. The NC Criminal Justice Standards Division's minimum standard for a law enforcement officer is "not have committed or been convicted of: a felony;". The requirement can not be waived.

You could get certified as a corrections officer in NC which has a lower minimum standard of " not having been convicted of a felony for ten (10) years since the date of conviction or the completion of any corrections supervision imposed by the courts, whichever is later;".

Comment

You'd have certification problems in Alabama as well. Even though your Civil Rights have been restored, you still were convicted of a Felony. That fact will be the "killer". You may wish to do some additional research on your own, especially with a view to a more favorable answer, but at the end of the day, you're bucking almost impossible odds at being hired.

Comment

I don't know how your state is, but here in california even misd. crimes are enough to turn the depts off, no matter how long ago.

Comment

I don't know of anywhere in the United States where you can be a peace officer having being convicted of a felony.

Comment

Your screwed!!! Might apply as a crossing guard!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3392 users online. 165 members and 3227 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X