300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help

hello a year ago i was hired as a deputy while going through fto i was having issues based on decision making and some officer safety issues i.e. handcuffing in front of a window and others, the deapartment gave me an opportunity to work inside the jail as a c.o. which i am currently doing however my main goal is to get back on the streets my question is just how difficult is it going to be to get hired one dept already turned me down saying that i should wait a little longer and correct my issues and they also told me that it will be hard to get rehired. yes i did resign my goal is to be on the streets fto was very difficult due to having family issues at the same time i was on fto maybe someone can let me know what i can do. I do respect the correctional officer career but my goal is to be on patrol. thank you.

Just keep plugging away. Speak with current officers to continue to refine your understanding of what you did right and what you needed to work on. Continue to apply to different places and if the question comes up, be prepared to argue how you have worked hard and what you have done to make changes so that the issues do not arise again!

Good luck!
    The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Comment

So did you resign from your department? Why not just get the experience you needed while in the jail and then reapply for a road position when it became available.

Comment

At my previous agency I had to resign during FTO but I never did give up. It was a shame because I felt that I was finally catching on with the agency but they made up their mind about my future.

I took the training that was given to me and applied it to my current agency. I never looked back and doubted myself. Yes it was hard having to explain to my background investigator what happended but they did give me a chance. If you resigned and your did not make FTO for the reasons you listed above, then you should have a shot at some point in the future. Good luck.

Comment

yes my current dept told me to spend a year or two inside the jail then come back out, my biggest issue was that i felt that toward the end of fto i was doing well responding to bilingual calls, doing 12 hour+ cases and doing coroners was never an issue, my last t.o. told me that he felt i had no problem and that a big strength that i had was my reports he just felt that at times i would second guess myself but by then i think the dept had already made up their mind and were ready to move on with the next group of trainees. I will continue to apply just because i dont want my post to expire and even though they said they would give me another chance nothing is guranteed and i cant afford to let my dreams go.

Comment

I really don't understand why you resigned. Yes, working in the jail is not patrol, but it is a job, and there is nothing that says you can't apply to other departments while working in the jail. You said you have a problem with decision making, and I think you showed that again by resigning. I think that will be harder to explain to a new department than not making it through FTO.
            -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

i had no other choice but to resign i went in they had my resignation letter ready and they told me either i resign or they terminate me so i did what i had to do it was either that or have no job.

Comment

OK, I don't get it. Are you a correctional officer now, or did you resign? Or, did you resign from a patrol deputy position and now you are working as a CO for the same department?

It makes a difference in the answer to your question.
                -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3869 users online. 224 members and 3645 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X