Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really weird interview - want some opinions.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really weird interview - want some opinions.

Hello all,

Well, I had an interview today for a 911 Dispatcher/Community Service Officer position. Anyway's, this is a position at a College University Police Department. The department isn't big (about 20 Officer's. Some full, some part-time). Also, this is a college that I attended and graduated from a couple of years ago.

So, this is where I'm kind of confused. My interview today was with 2 police officer's. It almost seemed as if they were playing the good/bad cop. The guy cop seemed really mean, and he was scruitinizing EVERYTHING on my application, resume, and even my cover letter. He was almost accusing me of lying about aspects of it. I remained totally calm and just answered his questions to the best of my ability. However, this was only the beginning. About mid way through the interview, he asked me a question, then he pulled out his cell phone and started texting someone while I responding to his question. I just continued and made sure that I made eye contact with the other Officer. I was just baffled as to why he would play around with his cell phone during an interview? Was this some kind of a poly to see if it would rattle me or **** me off?

Lastly, is it normal for Officer's to really scruitinize and almost accuse you of lying on your resume during an interview? Throughout it all I remained very calm, and at the end they both shook my hand. He then walked me out to the door that I came in, shook my hand again and said, "Good Luck".

Well, if some LEO's could let me know their thoughts, I would appreciate it. I've had quite a few police officer interviews this year (Yeah, I'm not doing so well with the hiring process), and I was just curious if anyone has encountered anything like this.

Thanks much!

Like you, I have been fighting an uphill battle. I did have an oral board a few months ago and the officer intervewing me literally picked apart every thing on my application, from my employment history to my educational history. I made the mistake of losing my cool a little bit, and that was probably why I didnt' get the job, but I'll never know for sure. If you turn out not to be successful, apply some where else and keep trying. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemonkey712 View Post
      Like you, I have been fighting an uphill battle. I did have an oral board a few months ago and the officer intervewing me literally picked apart every thing on my application, from my employment history to my educational history. I made the mistake of losing my cool a little bit, and that was probably why I didnt' get the job, but I'll never know for sure. If you turn out not to be successful, apply some where else and keep trying. Good luck.
      How did you lose your cool? What did you do? I remained totally calm, and just answered the question.

Comment

Originally posted by JLH81 View Post
        How did you lose your cool? What did you do? I remained totally calm, and just answered the question.
        Let me state that another way: I got defensive about some of the questions they asked me, and I think they may have thought I had some thing to hide. I was overconfident when I went into that interview which was before the police commission (last step in the process) and didn't really think some of the questions through.

Comment

What you experienced is one of the oldest scenarios in the book. Happens all the time. As long as you kept your cool, you'll probably be okay.

Comment

Weird? That's not a wierd interview.

Wait until you go to a supervisor interview where they close the door of the office and change their clothes while they interview you, then ask you to go on a run (in what you are wearing) for the rest of the interview.

M-11
            “All men dream...... But not equally..
            Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
            but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
            for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
              Weird? That's not a wierd interview.

Wait until you go to a supervisor interview where they close the door of the office and change their clothes while they interview you, then ask you to go on a run (in what you are wearing) for the rest of the interview.

M-11
              haha, thats awesome. Does that actually happen?

Comment

I had an interview with three officers from a small suburban department, and they kept asking me the same question, telling me not to say what they wanted to hear but what I really thought, and then they told me over and over again that it wasn't what I'd really do. It was incredibly frustrating. I didnt get the job, but at the same time, I thought they were ********s and i wouldnt have taken it anyway.

Either way, I thought it was bizarre. Anyone else have anything like this happen?

Comment

The playing with their cell phone during the interview is disrespect to you. It doesn't sound like a place I'd want to work at.

Comment

They're trying to throw you off your game and see how you react. You have to be able to adapt, go with the flow, do what they tell you, and stick to your story no matter how many times they ask you the same question. These are all just ways to distract you and make you doubt yourself while at the same time gaining valuable information on how you react to different circumstances that might make you mad, frustrated, etc....in other words, it's a quick way to see how you'd do as a cop under pressure.

If little things like someone toying with their cell phone are going to take your mind off what you need to be thinking about, then how are you going to react on the street when you've got a ticked off crowd of drunk people around you, yelling at you, cursing at you, throwing things at you...you get the idea.
                    "All that is, ever
                    Ever was, will be, ever
                    Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

I just wanted to get my S.W.A.T avatar under the Camaro and the Porsche :-)
                      Here, I'll sandwich it up for ya....

A lot of people lose their cool in interviews like that, myself included...my first couple I got all flustered and annoyed. After a while, you train yourself to ignore that stuff and stick to the interview itself, not the distractions. If you can't overcome that, you most likely won't do well in the poly, either.
                      "All that is, ever
                      Ever was, will be, ever
                      Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3981 users online. 159 members and 3822 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X