300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I passed!!

I passed my civil exam this morning!!!! They do not have many places open in the department. How do you make yourself stand out more from the others? I passed with a pretty good score also. So I know I am not that far down on the list. Is there anything I can do? I know it also comes down to the rest of the process. Is there a way to go the extra mile to show I reaaly want this? Or is that trying way to hard?
    Last edited by MrsG22TX; 07-26-2008, 02:59 PM.
    "Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what your doing, you will be successful"

"We're all going to screw up. But life is about how you come back from it, how you learn from it and how you use it to make yourself a better, stronger person."

Originally posted by MrsG22TX View Post
    I passed my civil exam this morning!!!! They do not have many places open in the department. How do you make yourself stand out more from the others? I passed with a pretty good score also. So I know I am not that far down on the list. Is there anything I can do? I know it also comes down to the rest of the process. Is there a way to go the extra mile to show I reaaly want this? Or is that trying way to hard?
    Congratulations, and continue to test well. Be as prepared as you possibly can be for each phase of the testing process as it comes up. Some of your tests will be "Pass/Fail" but you'll have an opportunity to really shine in your Oral Boards/Interviews. In general, be punctual, even a few minutes early. Dress professionaly,as in conservatively. Answer questions in a decisive, positive, manner. Look the Board member in the eye when replying to his/her question. If given the opportunity to shake hands with the Board members, do so in a firm, positive manner. Be confident, but not arrogant. I'm certain more advice will follow. Take a good look at it. Keep us posted, and good luck!!

Comment

Thank you for that! I was really shaking before the test. Once I got there a very calm feeling came over me. There were people who were testing and dressed like they just left the club, jumped out of bed, or was there for a round up. LOL I can not believe how many people came looking like trash. There was no PAT, but still I do not feel that should cause a person to want to look that way. Then the paper said do not bring anything into the classroom. About half of the class (big class) brought phones and other stuff. How crazy is that. There were a bunch of LEOs there to help with test. Do you think they were looking at who could not follow directions? That would suck to give yourself a bad look before you even test!
      "Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what your doing, you will be successful"

"We're all going to screw up. But life is about how you come back from it, how you learn from it and how you use it to make yourself a better, stronger person."

Comment

Thank you for that! I was really shaking before the test. Once I got there a very calm feeling came over me. There were people who were testing and dressed like they just left the club, jumped out of bed, or was there for a round up. LOL I can not believe how many people came looking like trash. There was no PAT, but still I do not feel that should cause a person to want to look that way. Then the paper said do not bring anything into the classroom. About half of the class (big class) brought phones and other stuff. How crazy is that. There were a bunch of LEOs there to help with test. Do you think they were looking at who could not follow directions? That would suck to give yourself a bad look before you even test!
        Yeah, you're going to see a lot of that. It's absolutely amazing that so many people don't have a clue as to how to dress/act when applying for a job. You seem to have a handle on how to dress and act. It will serve you well. You can be certain that the Officers present appreciated those who could follow directions, and who acted as if they were serious about wanting the job. You seem to be one of those people. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Also there is an essay that we had to write about why we wanted to work for that PD. I was just wondering does that give them some inside for when they ask the question? Each line they had for the essay I used to answer the question. This is a dream of mine and I wont rest until I get it!

Comment

Also there is an essay that we had to write about why we wanted to work for that PD. I was just wondering does that give them some inside for when they ask the question? Each line they had for the essay I used to answer the question. This is a dream of mine and I wont rest until I get it!
            The essay question(s) can give considerable insight into a candidate's motivation. You've got a good "line", "This is a dream of mine, and I won't rest until I get it". but don't over do it. Once, maybe twice should be sufficient. Keep up your good work, and keep checking in with us.

Comment

Tomorrow on line the list will be posted so I can see where I fall on it. I hope not to far down. They are looking to hurry and hire people to go to the Oct. academy. I hope I am one of the people who make it! If for any reason they fill all spaces before they get to me, would it look bad to apply again at the next opening?

Comment

Tomorrow on line the list will be posted so I can see where I fall on it. I hope not to far down. They are looking to hurry and hire people to go to the Oct. academy. I hope I am one of the people who make it! If for any reason they fill all spaces before they get to me, would it look bad to apply again at the next opening?
                Absolutely not!! But, see how you do this go around. Stay with it!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4488 users online. 246 members and 4242 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X