Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions to ask during the hiring process...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions to ask during the hiring process...

To any LEO and those interested and/or currently in the application process... were there any questions you wish you would have asked/or things you would have liked to have known from a recruiter/officer/etc. in the agency you're currently involved with that you didn't? Were there any particular questions that you asked that were serious deal-breakers/deal-makers with said agency? I'm trying to compile a list of questions to ask potential agencies I'm applying with and want to make sure I don't forget anything... I'm also open to any other "pearls of wisdom" about the whole selection process/etc. that you think would have helped you along better if you had known them before hand. I appreciate anyones help. Thanks.
    pain and suffering are inevitable; misery is optional.

I'll go out on a limb and "toot my own horn," so to speak. I compiled a guide detailing the hiring/selection process, and everything you ask in your post is talked about in my guide. Take a look, it may provide some useful information. If, after reading it, you've got more questions feel free to post them. The link to my guide is in my sig.
    sigpic

Comment

1. Spit or Swallow?
      2. Boxers or Briefs?

Comment

Guam, thanks for writing your guide to the selection/hiring process... I actually have read that twice before my post. In fact, I skimmed it again right before posting because I was thinking I had missed something in there. It's past 1:00 AM while I'm writing this now, so I may have missed it still... but I couldn't find a section on what to ask the agency you're applying to...

Comment

I'm still an applicant, but the agency I'm currently testing with implied that I will be hired in the near future. With that being said, I will share some of my wisdom which I have learned after being DQ'd and non selected.

If you screwed up any of your former jobs....admit to what you did wrong if asked, and don't try to justify your mistakes. If you were involved in any criminal activity, such as smoking pot, admit to it and don't justify it.

Be confident in every interview you participate in and don't try to justify any of your shortcommings....Just admit to them and tell the interviewers what you can do to over come your short commings.

Make sure you tell every oral board why you feel you are qualified for the postion and give them concrete examples of why you are qualified for the postion. Judging by your screen name, you are an Eagle Scout which means you did a community service project. Therefore, make sure you tell the oral board that you are community service oriented.

I am an Eagle Scout myself, and I have told every oral board I have been subject to of my Eagle Scout status and my dedication to community service.

I will let this forum know if I am hired or not over the next few weeks and most of all good luck with your career goals!

Comment

I must not have articulated my question/comment clearly enough... What were some of the factors that influenced your decision to join xyz agency? Did you research the retirement, benefits, advancement opportunities, etc. Is there anything you found out about another agency after you were hired on that you wish you would have inquired about before? I'm doing all of these things now, but am hoping not to miss anything seeing as I'm relatively young (recent college graduate), never had a career job, was never gainfully employed, etc. I don't want to not ask the right question and find out later I would have been better at abc agency rather than xyz agency. If I'm still not making sense to anyone, I'll chalk this up as being too analytical...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4267 users online. 237 members and 4030 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X