300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed Polygraph

I recently found out that I failed my first ever polygraph with an agency I was in the hiring process with. I told the investigator anything and everything, and I still failed the test. He kept hammering me about the fact that I told him I had never stolen anything as a kid. Anyways, my real question is do I stand any kind of chance with getting hired with another law enforcement agency? I know now this is a huge black mark, and I won't lie about this failure to the agencies that I apply to. I have no criminal history, no drug usage history, I am receiving 2 bachelors' degrees in December. I am passionate about getting a job in law enforcement and I was just looking for some words of advice and if anybody has ever failed a polygraph and then got hired by the same or another agency. Thanks in advance for your time and responses.

Did the agency say because of this failure you are withdrawn from the process? Or did they say they would let you know? Because some departments say you failed on certain aspects to see if you will go back on your word... if you were honest you should be ok
    Virginia Beach Police Dept. (First choice)

05-2-09 Applied

09-17-09 Written/Physical/B-Pad

Hanover County Sheriff’s Dept.

01-13-09 Applied

Hiring freeze for two years??

sigpic

Comment

The agency sent me a generic rejection letter saying that they cannot move me on to the next stage of the selection process. Also they said they cannot give any specifics why I cannot be sent on. The polygraph was pre background investigation and there is no way of getting a retake examination.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos08 View Post
        I recently found out that I failed my first ever polygraph with an agency I was in the hiring process with. I told the investigator anything and everything, and I still failed the test. He kept hammering me about the fact that I told him I had never stolen anything as a kid. Anyways, my real question is do I stand any kind of chance with getting hired with another law enforcement agency? I know now this is a huge black mark, and I won't lie about this failure to the agencies that I apply to. I have no criminal history, no drug usage history, I am receiving 2 bachelors' degrees in December. I am passionate about getting a job in law enforcement and I was just looking for some words of advice and if anybody has ever failed a polygraph and then got hired by the same or another agency. Thanks in advance for your time and responses.
        This may be a little difficult for you to accept right now, but NO, you are not out of the running for a Police Dept. You should continue to apply, and you should continue to be truthful. You will no doubt encounter more Polygraphs in future hiring processes. You'll pass them too.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos08 View Post

As said in the previous post you can still be hired by another agency. I know of plenty of guys who failed one and got hired later on. There could be a number of reasons why you failed. One question could have indicated deception so they took that as a reason to fail you to knock you out of the process because they had a large number of people applying. They have to weed them out somehow. Push on, you will get hired.
          You do not greet death, you punch him repeatedly in the throat until he drags you away...

Comment

Actually no I didn't steal anything as a kid. Now later on past 16 years old I have taken a pen from work and other small things from here or there, and I told the investigator about them, but no, I dont remember stealing anything as a kid. I even asked my parents in case I forgot about something that maybe they remember. I'm not going to lie to the investigator when I dont remember stealing anything as a kid.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5441 users online. 302 members and 5139 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X