300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof of citizenship

Long story short, I was born out of the country. I've been here since I was 3. Both parents are citizens and I'm assuming that I am as well since I do have a US passport.

I do not have a naturalization certificate yet.

2 departments have told me that I need the certificate to prove citizenship. But if I have a passport, I'm a citizen, right?

I know the easy solution would be to get the certificate. But a $460 that I don't have and many months of waiting are working against me.

Doesn't a passport prove citizenship?

Yes, it does.

I'm assuming that your parents were not US citizens at your birth?

Comment

I would almost bet that every department will require the naturalization papers. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is a P.O.S.T requirement. I know that we require the certificate.

Comment

Originally posted by Illinois Edmond View Post
        Long story short, I was born out of the country. I've been here since I was 3. Both parents are citizens and I'm assuming that I am as well since I do have a US passport.

2 departments have told me that I need the certificate to prove citizenship. But if I have a passport, I'm a citizen, right?

I know the easy solution would be to get the certificate. But a $460 that I don't have and many months of waiting are working against me.

I'm assuming both parents are U.S. Citizens. If so, you're a U.S. Citizen. Seems to me, that a Birth Certificate would attest to that. Still, I 'd suggest you check a little further. Possibly one of our Border Patrol, ICE, colleagues could provide you with more information.

Comment

Wow I'm in the exact same situation as you are. I came here when i was 11 years old (now 23). My mother and I had a fall out when I was 18, so I actually had no idea that I automatically became a citizen because she became a citizen while I was a minor. At age 19 I went through the whole application process to gain citizenship, and at the interview is when I was told that I am already a citizen, and the lady gave me a copy of a law that states that. I am now in the application process with a local Police Department, and they are requiring a naturalization certificate which I do not have. I do however have a U.S. passport. Unfortunately I lost the Copy of the law that was given to me at the interview, and i'm not sure if I can find it online somewhere. If I get any information I will PM you, and I ask that you do the same as well, good luck.

Comment

I too was born out of the country and I had my naturalization certificate but lost it some how! When I was applying for a local PD here in California the BI stated that she wanted at least a copy form the original one that I had or else she would have to put me on hold...Luckily I ALWAYS make copies of all my original important papers that I have! Too make this storie short; I called USCIS and file for a lost/misplace naturalization certificate (Form N - 565 ). That was last year and it cost me about $200 dollars. I believe the price now is like $400 dollars and it took me at least 11 months to get it! Also, when you file on line, don't forget to take two passport pictures when you send in your file. Good luck

Comment

It does as far as the US Department of State is concerned. A previous US passport is accepted as proof of citizenship when applying for a renewal.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240) should also serve as proof of citizenship. Copies are available at reasonable cost.

Comment

There is also a certificate you can receive, snice you were never really naturalized, but you are a U.S citizen due to your parents becoming citizens. I'm about to go to work right now, but I will get back with you later today with the form you need to fill out, unless someone beats me to it.
                But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

I reread your question before answering this time. The passport does prove citizenship, but if they want the certificate, then you will have file the N-600 and pay for it. Most agencies don't know Nationalization Law. Heck many CBP Officers don't know the ins and outs of Immigration and Naturalization law.

Here is a link to the section of law:
                  http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...1----000-.html
                  Here is a link to the main page:
                  http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...1_8_10_12.html
                  But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Just wanted to give an update and see if anyone else had anything to add.

I applied for a current passport after this original post. Got it back within 14 days.

So I made a copy of it and got all my paperwork and $460 together and sent the N-600 form in.

I'm just hoping that the wait won't be too long. I've been in the US for the last 25+ years so there really isn't much to investigate abroad if that's a factor.

Like I said before, both my parents were naturalized but it was after my mom and I came here. My dad has been here since the mid 70's but he didn't naturalize until the '83 or '84, IIRC.

The potential for a long wait really has me bummed out because I basically can't apply anywhere until I get the certificate in.

I'm basically the BI step away from Chicago Police. But if they require the N-600, which I don't have right now, I won't have my paperwork complete. But I do have a current passport so I'm hoping that since they're so backed up right now, it will be a few months before they ask for the paperwork. I'm crossing my fingers that the certificate will have came in by then.

Comment

U.S. Code Title 22, Chapter 38, S 2705
                      http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/us...5----000-.html

"The following documents shall have the same force and effect as proof of United States citizenship as certificates of naturalization or of citizenship issued by the Attorney General or by a court having naturalization jurisdiction:
                      (1) A passport, during its period of validity (if such period is the maximum period authorized by law), issued by the Secretary of State to a citizen of the United States. "

I had the same problem. Had a passport, was in the process for naturalization papers. Wasn't excepted for a PD because of it. I don't know why. The U.S. Code says its OK, the same documents are needed for a passport as for the naturalization papers, and I voted in the last election.
                      Romans 13:4 "For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil."

Comment

Stupid hiring agencies.... I have both, but US passport trumps a naturalization certificate any day, especially for someone who was a US citizen at birth.

Comment

Hiring agencies stupid? LOL

Originally posted by JI603 View Post
                          Stupid hiring agencies.... I have both, but US passport trumps a naturalization certificate any day, especially for someone who was a US citizen at birth.
                          Why are the hiring agencies stupid? Because they want to keep out Al Qaida agents posing as US citizens and keep YOU safe ???? Many agencies accept a US Passport as your proof of citizenship, many wont. Depends on how deep your security clearance has to be.

Secondly, why would someone who is US citizen at birth have a Naturalization Cerificate? You have no clue whatsoever of what you are talking about. A child under 18 born overseas/mexico/canada DERIVES US citizenship from his/her Naturalized parents. Meaning, that as soon as the parents are sworn in as Naturalized US Citizens, the children automatically receive their Naturalization Certificates as well.
                          Question to those with US Passports: How did you get it? Unless you have a US Birth Certificate, the Naturalization Certificate MUST be presented at the time of the Passport application. There is NO way arround it, period. Therefore, you probably misspalced/lost it and the headaches and fees that accompany the process of getting a new one is on YOU...
                          Last edited by matyoka; 09-05-2008, 08:33 PM. Reason: none
                          sigpic

Comment

Just wanted to give another update.

I got a letter telling me to pick up my certificate in the middle of Nov.

2.5 months wait, that isn't too bad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by matyoka View Post
                              A child under 18 born overseas/mexico/canada DERIVES US citizenship from his/her Naturalized parents. Meaning, that as soon as the parents are sworn in as Naturalized US Citizens, the children automatically receive their Naturalization Certificates as well.
                              Question to those with US Passports: How did you get it? Unless you have a US Birth Certificate, the Naturalization Certificate MUST be presented at the time of the Passport application. There is NO way arround it, period. Therefore, you probably misspalced/lost it and the headaches and fees that accompany the process of getting a new one is on YOU...
                              Before I turned 18, both of my parents became naturalized citizens and as a result, I became one also. I was told to apply for my US Passport by submitting copies of my parent's naturalization papers. A few weeks later, I received my US Passport. I called up the Dept of State and asked if I needed the Naturalization certificate and was told "NO" because posession of a US Passport means you are a citizen.

I applied to a federal position last year and I was never asked for the certificate, only my passport.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2688 users online. 138 members and 2550 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X